Diamond Fly In Loveland, CO (KFNL) 8/21/2021

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Diamond Fly In Loveland, CO (KFNL) 8/21/2021

Post by Boatguy »

The transient parking looks limited. @Rich - have you checked with the FBO?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I contacted the FBO again to confirm our dates and tiedown situation. They have plenty. Something like 20-30. Overnight tiedown fees will probably be completely waived, as lots of us will be buying fuel.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Rich wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:03 pm I contacted the FBO again to confirm our dates and tiedown situation. They have plenty. Something like 20-30. Overnight tiedown fees will probably be completely waived, as lots of us will be buying fuel.
For us in Europe this sounds like science fiction. Our fly-ins are pretty hard to organize because of limited number of GA parking places on many airports (practically any airport that has CAT). Landing and handling fees for below 2-ton aircraft can go as high as $400 (recently I paid $200 for landing & handling at 45 min refueling stop LIEE in Italy and I expect $250 in few days at LGKF in Greece). There's no way some airport would waive fees if you buy fuel. Some airports charge you additional $50 if you buy less than 50 gallons of fuel. And fuel prices in Europe and US are incomparable. For IFR flying, if your aircraft is above 2 tons, Eurocontrol charges you for using the airways - depending on weight and distance it's between $150 and $250 per flight hour. That's why, for us in Europe, US looks like flying paradise.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Not for nothing but just to back up Emir's point.
As an ex-pat Brit living in the USA, The States truly is pretty close to aviation paradise!! We should all remember that as often as allows :)
Sadly, a Colorado fly-in is a tad outside my low time capabilities from the East Coast, even though my fantastic airplane would head that way in a heartbeat lol
Maybe next year.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Donkadillapig wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:55 am Not for nothing but just to back up Emir's point.
As an ex-pat Brit living in the USA, The States truly is pretty close to aviation paradise!! We should all remember that as often as allows :)
Sadly, a Colorado fly-in is a tad outside my low time capabilities from the East Coast, even though my fantastic airplane would head that way in a heartbeat lol
Maybe next year.
Don’t write this event off just yet. KFNL is on the high plains, east of all the Rocky Mountains cumulogranite: no mountain flying required. Yes, it’s at 5000’ MSL, but it’s got a nice, long runway so DA is manageable. While you’re here I’d be happy to give you a mountain flying orientation, or you could arrange for a mountain flying course of instruction.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

I have 2 weeks to kill in Colorado between my early August conference at Broadmoor Colorado Springs and the fly-in on the 21st. Any recommendations on good places to see and fly in the interim? Looking for nice vrbo or airbnb near airfields. Flying onward to a trade show in Vegas after the 21st.
SteveM
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
Aircraft Registration: N388JP
Airports: KBJC

Post by SteveM »

Check out the Pueblo Aircraft Museum. It's within walking distance of KPUB and even has a B-29, among many other cool aircraft.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

dmloftus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 pm I have 2 weeks to kill in Colorado between my early August conference at Broadmoor Colorado Springs and the fly-in on the 21st. Any recommendations on good places to see and fly in the interim? Looking for nice vrbo or airbnb near airfields. Flying onward to a trade show in Vegas after the 21st.
Two weeks is a tall order. It's been 30 years since we lived in CO, though I still get there from time to time and still have friends and family there. A few years ago I went there for my son-in-law's 50th birthday (they live in Loveland) and we did a pub-crawl around Boulder, Weld, and Larimer counties. An astounding number of microbreweries lurk therein. But spending two weeks at breweries might not be the best plan :D

I do recall lots of things happening around the State in August, such as Leadville Days. Our members here that reside in CO would be better able to fill you in. For me it'd be revisiting old "stomping grounds" of Central City, Blackhawk, Mount Evans, Cripple Creek, Leadville and so forth with a rental car (really expensive these days).

A word of caution: if you decide to do a Mountain Flying checkout don't just assume any random CFI should be trusted with this. Make sure they're experienced/qualified for such things. Decades ago we almost piled in on Vail pass due to trusting my CFI against my better judgement.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Rich wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:37 pm
dmloftus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 pm I have 2 weeks to kill in Colorado between my early August conference at Broadmoor Colorado Springs and the fly-in on the 21st. Any recommendations on good places to see and fly in the interim? Looking for nice vrbo or airbnb near airfields. Flying onward to a trade show in Vegas after the 21st.
Two weeks is a tall order. It's been 30 years since we lived in CO, though I still get there from time to time and still have friends and family there. A few years ago I went there for my son-in-law's 50th birthday (they live in Loveland) and we did a pub-crawl around Boulder, Weld, and Larimer counties. An astounding number of microbreweries lurk therein. But spending two weeks at breweries might not be the best plan :D
Haha! Thanks Rich. Yes, not exactly two weeks to fill. In today's remote working world I figure I can work out of Colorado for a couple of weeks and see a few sights while I'm out there. Just looking for a few "must see's" like Pike's Peak and Rocky Mountain National Park, etc in my spare time.

I used to live in San Jose and I've done some mountain flying to places like Tahoe and Yosemite. Not quite the Rockies, but I've gotten some good advice along the way on general mountain flying and taken the online FAAST training. Any recommendations on a good formally trained CFI would be great. I'm a pretty careful flyer anyway so not looking to push 16K MSL in my DA40 ;-)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

David, since you mentioned Pike's Peak, maybe the Cog Railway trip up there would be attractive to you. It travels between Manitou Springs and the summit. Though I've driven the road, I never got around to doing the Cog Railway. Could be spendy but if you're at the Broadmoor they may have special deals.

Mt. Evans is actually higher than Pikes Peak, but the latter's isolation from the Continental Divide and location give you a different panoramic view all around, whereas Mt. Evans is tucked in closer to the Divide. I used to go up Mt. Evans on a summer afternoon and amuse myself watching RV's negotiate the last stretch between the summit lake, where the road definitely changed quality.

The back roads in the front range were really something, like Virginia Canyon between Idaho Springs and Central City. But I don't know for sure what they're like these days. Could be full of condos and such.