Engine Top Cowling Fasteners

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

jehan
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jehan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N647DS
Airports: KGEU

Engine Top Cowling Fasteners

Post by jehan »

The other day I lost one of the two fasteners for my engine top cowling (on the top side). I own a DA40 with serial no. 647 and so I wanted to check part number to order. I went online to ipc.diamond-air and typed my aircraft s/no. That took me to the page of DA40-180. Then I made my way to section 71.00 for the PowerPlant and 71-10 for the Cowling. I was surprised to see that the drawings do not show any fasteners on the top side of the top cowling. The side fasteners are reported to be 40S5-7D for the Camloc Bolt and 4002-N-3 for the Collar. However, the one I have, I removed that and examined it for markings. I found "MS & -10" marked on the bolt head (Philips) and 4002-HS CAMLOC GROMMET. There is also a washer that sits on the cowling skin that has an inner diameter wide enough to accommodate the grommet. I wonder if a similar setup is found on anyone else aircraft (as it is not reported in the ipc documentation)? I will appreciate responses.
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

Re: Engine Top Cowling Fasteners

Post by gyro3816 »

Maintenance Manual shows 2 camlocs on top side of cowl for us Lycomings. (Page 1890). My airplane has these 2 camlocs positioned slightly forward of drawing. There are 2 aluminum brackets in the engine bay near firewall to accept the camlock.
It does not appear that the diesels have these fasteners on top (possible error in parts book linking to diesel instead of lycoming?)

http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... mplete.pdf
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Mine has these as well. I recall having to replace one about 17 years ago (not because I lost one, but it was becoming hard to turn). The camlocs come in different lengths to accommodate different thickness composite. I preferred a few of each length installed on the cowlings, in anticipation of losing a couple over the years….
jehan
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by jehan »

Thanks Adam and Steve,
I looked at figure 1, on Page 2 of Section 71-02-00 of Doc# 6.02.01 Rev. 7 (pdf page 1890) and could not see those two that I have. In order to make it clear, I am attaching couple of files to explain.
DA40_top_cowl_holes.png
The red dots appearing on top are the approximate locations where I have these screws. I will take a picture of it next time, I go the airport.
These are the two views of the fasteners.
DA40_top_cowl_screw_view1.jpg
DA40_top_cowl_screw_view2.jpg
So my question is what will be the part number when I place an order.
Thanks,
Jehan
jehan
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by jehan »

I also did a comparison of what is provided in the manual for the side fasteners (on the top cowling) and these two unknowns on the top:
For side fasteners - already provided info : Cambolt = 40S5-7D, Collar = 4002-N-3
For the unknown fastener on the top : Cambolt = part not known but with inscription of 10 suggest that it might be 40S5-10
and Collar is already provided = 4002-HS
what do you guys think?
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Here is a good reference (and a source for) Camlocs.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=6080

As you can see from the table, the dash number specifies the length. You might want to order a couple of -10s as well as a couple of -9s and -11s in order to make sure you have the best fit.
greg
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Airports:

Post by greg »

Hi Jehan,

Did you end up ordering any of these? If so, what part numbers did you get? Mine are getting to the stage where I want to replace them.
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

I also need a couple replacement camlocks and related grommets for the top of the cowling. Did anyone determine the part numbers to order to replace them?
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg