5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: I flew the DA62 today.

Post by CFIDave »

One of your wishes has been granted: the new G1000 NXi now shipping in all new DA62s and DA42s (GDU Version 20.X software) includes a full-page MFD "Engine" page somewhat similar to that of the DA40.

It's kinda hard to provide counter-rotating props on a Diamond twin since Mercedes car engines (upon which Austro engines are based) only turn one way, although I suppose they could develop a custom gearbox for the left "critical" engine only, that makes that prop counter-rotate.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Wall-e
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wally
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N125HA
Airports: ARW

Post by Wall-e »

Thanks for passing that info along.
Wally
CFII
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Wouldn't counter-rotating the prop be a pretty simple mod on a gearbox? Not on the engine, obviously, and it would mean a custom prop as well, but isn't reversing the rotating on an axis just one gear additional? (Greg?)

A pain for parts tracking and so forth, but I hadn't even considered it.

I am more bothered that the FADEC don't talk to one another and try to remain sync'd in cruise.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

IMHO, counter-rotating props aren't really needed for a DA42 or DA62. Unlike, for example, a Baron BE58 with big 6-cylinder 300+ horsepower engines, there's a lot less torque generated by smaller 135/168/180 hp Diamond twin engines, and the much longer wings on Diamond twins help keep the roll moment in check.

I do a lot of in-flight engine shutdowns as part of my sales job demoing Diamond twins (mostly DA42s), and have a hard time telling much difference between shutting down the left (critical) engine vs. the right engine. I have to apply similar rudder forces to fight yaw, and I manage to obtain approximately the same single-engine rate of climb, regardless of whether I shut down the left vs. right engine. In performing Vmc demos (with simulated engine shutdown), the plane provides a stall indication (which forces me to terminate the demo) before ever losing directional control, again with no difference using left vs. right engine shutdowns.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI