4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Aircraft Type: DA42
Airports:

Re: I flew the DA62 today.

Post by Aart »

Thanks for a great report Colin.
I assume that during your simulated engine failure you pushed the 'right' pedal, 'right' as in 'correct, right?' ;)
Else something went seriously wrong in production..
1.3 million.. A lot of money, but I'd really fancy this one over a new Baron.
Question: all Diamond flyers love the visibility from the canopy. How did you find the visibility with this A-bar in the way?[/quote]
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I got a note from Austria this morning: "Your review of the 62 made the rounds here at Diamond."

I did not enjoy the visibility as much as I love it from inside my DA40, but it was not nearly as claustrophobic as I feel in a Cirrus, Baron or Mooney. Mooneys I don't understand at all.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Oh. And dead foot, dead engine. I think he failed the right engine and I hit the right rudder. Would that be correct? I might have written it up incorrectly, I'll have to check.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Colin wrote:I think he failed the right engine and I hit the right rudder. Would that be correct?
No. Right engine failed, you hit left rudder.
wolfvoador
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N430PS
Airports: MYNN NASSAU BAHAMAS

Post by wolfvoador »

I also flew it, last year out of the factory airport LOAN in Austria. Beautiful plane, handles very similarly to my DA42, just a bit heavier on rotation, but should be a very easy transition for any of you DA42ers. Now, you get about 10% more of everything, space, comfort, speed, performance than my 42, but would this be worth the 800 or 900k I would have to cough up on top of what I may get for my 42NG? I told the sales lady there, great plane, but the 42 being already a very nice and proven aircraft, better to look for customers among the Cirrus, Cessna and Piper flyers. Or make a special offer for DA42 trade-ins!
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

I got quoted $ 1'000 per month for a hangar (shared) for the EA400 which is just a tad longer than my DA40 and has less wingspan. :scream:
Just wondering how much a DA62 will cost and is it at all possible to rent hangar space?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I got to take two DA62 flights here at Sun N Fun in FL: once as pilot, and once riding in the back seat.

As a pilot, it's 98% identical to flying our DA42-VI. Which shouldn't be too surprising since it has the same wings, the same engines (with just a few more hp due to the software), identical aircraft systems, and the same avionics with the only difference being the (glass instead of steam) backup gauges. As near as I could tell the performance is identical except that I think my DA42 might climb just a bit better.

The interior is gorgeous, and of course it's more spacious than the DA42-VI. I like that the air condition panel has been moved from the left side pocket down low in the DA42 to the overhead area in the DA62 -- thus permitting the right seat pilot/CFI/passenger to operate it.

I just barely fit in the 3rd row due to lack of headroom, but could easily survive back there. Baggage space up front in the nose is no better (and might be worse) than our DA42 with a TKS fluid tank. This is because of the DA62 avionics bay moved to the right side of the nose (which should make the plane MUCH easier to work on.)

If I needed the extra useful load or 7 seats (and could afford it) I'd consider getting a DA62, but since most of our missions involve only 2-3 people in the plane, the DA42-VI is a better "fit." Since the DA42-VI has had a 100kg weight increase, there's only 300 lbs useful load difference between the 2 aircraft, and both now have new features like Garmin ESP (Electronic Stability and Protection).

Of course if you want any color but white, you'll have to get a DA62. :D
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Antoine wrote:I got quoted $ 1'000 per month for a hangar (shared) for the EA400 which is just a tad longer than my DA40 and has less wingspan. :scream:
Just wondering how much a DA62 will cost and is it at all possible to rent hangar space?
It ain't gonna be cheap Antoine. That 62 has a big ass wing span that's not gonna go away no matter where you go. I do consider the DA62 wing span to be considerable draw back in both handling, maneuvering and hangaring. It's gonna be like having size 11 feet and wearing size 15 shoes.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Lol Tommy love the shoe size comparison.
How is the Aerostar project progressing by the way?
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Antoine wrote:Lol Tommy love the shoe size comparison.
How is the Aerostar project progressing by the way?
It is a big project Antoine. It got a lot bigger than I anticipated. It's one of those things like, "well, while we have the plane all taken apart, why don't we doe this..." I have a funny feeling you will be experiencing the same thing to a degree. It is literally a full gut refurbishment. New everything, " engines, props, avionics, interior, fuel hoses, hydraulic hoses, re-sealing tanks, known ice, aux. fuel tank, all new interior primer, all new bearings, some skins being replaced, all new lighting interior and exterior, airframe fasteners replaced where necessary (smoking rivets), all new windows, new paint, etc. I think you get the idea. All at less than half the price of a comparable new airplane. Definitely half the price of a DA42.
A few months into this project I kind of saw where it was going and I bought myself another 600A just so I had something to fly while mine was being refurbished. I really didn't know how smart a move it was at the time. Depending on your project, you may want to consider doing the same. At least I'm building time and learning how to fly this plane. It's definitely not like flying a Diamond.
Refurbishment is not a fast process and every time something is taken apart you never know what you are going to find. However, one thing you can be assured of, it will take longer than anticipated. Right now I'm guessing another 6 months and I should be done. How's your project coming along Antoine. I guarantee you one thing, when you are done with it, you will be one happy camper. I have been hands on as much as I can be. It is very self satisfying. Good luck with your project and don't let it get you down. It's not like buying a new airplane right out of the box. However, it definitely will be custom to you wants an needs.