5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Re: I flew the DA62 today.

Post by Antoine »

That's what I guessed Tommy. You are right I am in the exact same boat. We are now doing such things as taking apart the landing gear and doing non-destructive testing on all individual structural parts. (Yeak OK, we're also powder coating in "gunmetal black" because I though white looked stupid!).

As the project drags along, I have rented my friends' DA40XLS in the meantime (it is hard to find an EA400 for rent!).
Went flying yesterday and had a stunning view of the Alps in their transition from white to the glorious colors of spring. Lake Geneva acts like a giant mirror and adds yet another dimension to this scenery... I am so grateful I can fly, and fly here...

Despite the huge difference between the DA40 and Extra, I am now using every flight to work the skills of staying ahead of the airplane and nailing the numbers. I fly the DA40 above the runway and let it settle down just like I will need to do with the EA400. The 400 will need 12 more knots in short final but that's about it.

I am impressed by the extremely low budget you are packing your Aerostar project in. Half a DA42 is very reasonable for a complete rebuild, and it makes me scratch my head since the engines alone must have eaten up half of your budget. Did you actually get paid for taking the airframe ?! :D

Now back to the OT. Maybe Dave can tell us what he felt at the edge of the envelope? I'd really like a pirep on the NG's stall behavior.

A person who once asked me for a test flight of my DA40 had flown an NG conversion and he said to me that the power-off glide characteristics were clearly different, in favor of the -180. He said the additional weight was very noticeable in the sink rate.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Antoine wrote:That's what I guessed Tommy. You are right I am in the exact same boat. We are now doing such things as taking apart the landing gear and doing non-destructive testing on all individual structural parts. (Yeak OK, we're also powder coating in "gunmetal black" because I though white looked stupid!).
The reason landing gear are painted white is so that fluid leaks show up better...

Steve
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Oops good point Steve. I need to give this a second thought. :oops:
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Antoine »

Oh well, it seems Extra like the black too...
Capture d’écran 2016-04-11 à 18.03.47.png
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I was going to mention how much I like the white parts of the DA42 because I see where stuff is leaking and blowing. Sort of a pain to clean up, but so much information lost if it is all black instead.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

I flew DA62 yesterday :) and I'm impressed how easy it's to fly and how stable it is compared to DA42. Performances, avionics (radar, sintetic vision, autopilot), interior etc. are really great. The only thing that I'm not sure about is if the engines are powerful enough - it was OK during the flight (climb, cruising, OEI) but I'm not sure how OEI looks like at MTOM (it was only two of us and less than half of fuel).
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

ememic99 wrote:I flew DA62 yesterday :) and I'm impressed how easy it's to fly and how stable it is compared to DA42. Performances, avionics (radar, sintetic vision, autopilot), interior etc. are really great. The only thing that I'm not sure about is if the engines are powerful enough - it was OK during the flight (climb, cruising, OEI) but I'm not sure how OEI looks like at MTOM (it was only two of us and less than half of fuel).
I think you just answered your own question.
Aart
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Aart
Airports:

Post by Aart »

http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... mplete.pdf

Page 5-50 gives you the OEI climb performance at MTOM (2300kg). As in any twin, a limited climb, but still in the positive in the the most common scenarios. If your airport is in the rocky mountains, 10000 ft, and it happens to be 30 degrees C you'll have problem.

I trust Diamond figures btw.
Aart
DA42.332 PH-CCD LESB (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Aart wrote:I trust Diamond figures btw.
Thanks for the link. Diamond figures are reliable and Manual is consistent with what I saw during the flight. The question is if this is sufficient or not.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The "sufficiency" of the DA62's single-engine climb rate is for you to decide, but it's worth comparing to other modern light twins.

A Baron/Seminole/Seneca twin when losing one engine will "drift down" to about 6000 feet before being able to level off, let alone climb. So at typical cruise altitudes, you're going to descend.

In contrast, the turbocharged Austro engines of the DA62 and DA42-VI allow these planes (depending on temperature) to climb to 13,000 and 18,000 feet respectfully -- since turbos allow these engines to maintain full power up to more than 10,000 feet.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI