1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Andrew
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N298P
Airports:

Re: New DA 62 Owners

Post by genmort »

Sounds good! I'm contacting a few more brokers to see if anyone is willing to.

neema: Great to know that you didn't even have your ME at the time and were still able to get insured! I'm working on my IR and plan to start ME training shortly after.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

We've arranged insurance for new DA62 owners over 75 years old (expensive), or with zero hours time in type (required 5 hours transition training with a CFI), or without having a multi-engine rating yet (required an experienced MEI CFI as named insured until they got their rating), etc.

That doesn't mean it will be cheap, but it can usually be done because of the DA62's exemplary safety record.

With most underwriters, once you get 100 hours time-in-type, expect your premium to decrease to around $12K/year.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
KTZ Pilot
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: NTBD
Airports: KONX KBCT

Post by KTZ Pilot »

I am the proud new owner of N149DA (62.092). I have about 2000 hours, mostly SR22 time. I hope to finish my MEL this month or early next. Charlie Berichi of Berichi Aviation based at FXE is my instructor. The school owns a DA62, and Charlie has a thorough knowledge of the aircraft, and an effective teaching style. Lifestyle Aviation (John Armstrong and George Wehrung) handled the purchase and delivery for me. Completely seamless transaction. John Travers of Travers Aviation arranged insurance. John took all the time needed to go over options with me, and was always very responsive. Coverage is VERY expensive in comparison with the most recent cost of my SR22 . . . until I consider hull value. After enjoying the discussion on COPA for many years, I am delighted to be able to tap into the experience of this group for my new ride.
hdyerla
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Herb
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N504ST
Airports: Knew

Post by hdyerla »

Coming up on our first oil change. How much oil do you guys add back in? Mechanic would like to know before filling to get an idea. Thank you
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Whenever doing an oil change I put in about 7 quarts (6 liters) of oil before topping off to the Max line. The Castrol oil I purchase off the shelf at my local Walmart comes in 5 quart and 1 quart containers, so I usually buy some of each:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE ... t/35931149
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-Edge ... s/35931146
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

CFIDave wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:35 am Whenever doing an oil change I put in about 7 quarts (6 liters) of oil before topping off to the Max line. The Castrol oil I purchase off the shelf at my local Walmart ...
I thought Diesel Ultra was the preferred oil. What do you like about the Castrol, aside from being able to buy it at Walmart?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

photoSteveZ wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:30 pm
CFIDave wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:35 am Whenever doing an oil change I put in about 7 quarts (6 liters) of oil before topping off to the Max line. The Castrol oil I purchase off the shelf at my local Walmart ...
I thought Diesel Ultra was the preferred oil. What do you like about the Castrol, aside from being able to buy it at Walmart?
There's a long list of approved synthetic oils listed in the Austro Engine Operation Manual, but unfortunately almost all of them are unavailable here in the US. You can order the AeroShell Oil Diesel Ultra online (no FBO has it), but it's still far more expensive than picking up the Austro-approved Castrol Edge 0W-40 A3/B4 off the shelf at the local Walmart.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Dave, having been originally serviced with Aeroshell Diesel Ultra, would it harm the engines if I added half a liter of the Castrol to get to the next 100 hr?
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

photoSteveZ wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:31 pm Dave, having been originally serviced with Aeroshell Diesel Ultra, would it harm the engines if I added half a liter of the Castrol to get to the next 100 hr?
Although it's a question for Dave and I have CD-155 engines, I haven't found any problems in topping up with different approved oil. My mechanic usually use Castrol and I top up with Aeroshell Diesel Ultra.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

ememic99 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:47 pm
photoSteveZ wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:31 pm Dave, having been originally serviced with Aeroshell Diesel Ultra, would it harm the engines if I added half a liter of the Castrol to get to the next 100 hr?
Although it's a question for Dave and I have CD-155 engines, I haven't found any problems in topping up with different approved oil. My mechanic usually use Castrol and I top up with Aeroshell Diesel Ultra.
Here's what it says in the Austro Engine E4 Operations Manual:
  • It is not recommended to mix different SAE grades.
  • Use only one type of approved E4 engine oil for an oil change. Oil brands which are not approved must not be used.
I interpret this to mean don't mix brands during or between oil changes -- try to top off with the same oil you used to refill the engine at your last oil change.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI