1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N520RA
Airports:

Re: New DA 62 Owners

Post by fleetrader »

I’m new to aviation, ordering a DA62. Does anyone think it makes any difference in quality if you have it built in Austria vs. Canada. Thank you
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

fleetrader wrote:I’m new to aviation, ordering a DA62. Does anyone think it makes any difference in quality if you have it built in Austria vs. Canada. Thank you
Regardless of where a DA62 is assembled, all of the composite parts are produced from the same set of molds now located at Diamond Canada. Composite part "kits" can be shipped to Wiener Neustadt for Austrian assembly.

BTW, congratulations on your DA62 order and welcome to the forum.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

fleetrader wrote:I’m new to aviation, ordering a DA62. Does anyone think it makes any difference in quality if you have it built in Austria vs. Canada. Thank you
Mike, very cool...new to aviation and thinking of a DA62?...Love it. Congrats!!!
fleetrader
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N520RA
Airports:

Post by fleetrader »

Thank you for the response. I was thinking the Austrian group is more experienced than Canadian. I like the idea of it being broken in for me as well, crossing the Atlantic. Hope to have it delivered in September.
jprhode
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jason
Aircraft Registration: N62VV
Airports: KAUS

Post by jprhode »

Old thread I know, but yes - I bought 62.010 used about a month ago. Subsequently finished my multi, and flew myself home from Tampa after the checkride. All the way around, it is a badass plane. Love it.

Be sure to have a very thorough conversation with your insurance guy before pulling the trigger. They have next to no data on this plane, so they seem to be imagining the worst case combination of a Baron and a Cirrus having a $1.3M love child, which it very much is not.
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Jason, did you finish your multi using the DA62? Do you mind if I ask what is your mission for the DA62?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

jprhode wrote:I bought 62.010 used about a month ago.
Jason: Congrats on your "new to you" DA62, which I had an opportunity to fly back when it was the original North American demonstrator at Sun N Fun 2 years ago. If you look at the photo of multi-color DA62s included with all of my posts, that's your plane (anthracite N62VV) parked right next to mine (gold N62DV).
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jprhode
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jason
Aircraft Registration: N62VV
Airports: KAUS

Post by jprhode »

Thanks! Nice, I’ve seen that pic, didn’t notice it was my tail #.

Regarding the multi add on, I’ll shorten the long story as much as possible:

I finished my instrument rating in early April with about 150 hours total. Given that, it was not especially easy to line up insurance for the 62. I ended up with a requirement for 50 hours of dual/multi and 10 more hours solo prior to carrying any pax. Plus earn the rating of course. The 50 hours dual could be in either my 62 or a DA42-VI. I ended up doing about 15 of the hours in the 42 and the rest in my plane, with the check ride being in the 42. As far as I know there isn’t a DPE that can do a multi check ride in a 62. Anyway, as far as flying the planes, the 42-VI and 62 are so similar that this was pretty efficient and seamless. Nice to have all of that behind me! I’m happy to keep learning but nice to be done with school and check rides for awhile. I’m at ~230 hours now and very comfortable with the plane. It helped a ton that all of my PPL and Instrument hours were in the DA40 G1000. Hell of a year - first lesson ever was last June. The DA42-VI is the perfect airplane for the multi rating, and I happen to know an excellent instructor lady who owns a nearly new one.

Typical missions for this plane will be Austin to places in UT/CO where it is less hot and there are real trees. Plus shorter runs to New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, South Padre etc, and of course the $100 hamburger circuit. My wife has been up with me and was smiling afterward, just need to do a trial flight with the dog...
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

jprhode wrote:...just need to do a trial flight with the dog...
I’m sure it will enjoy :)
C256A939-270A-40E8-8F57-2D4049A206C9.jpeg
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

jprhode wrote:Thanks! Nice, I’ve seen that pic, didn’t notice it was my tail #.

Regarding the multi add on, I’ll shorten the long story as much as possible:

I finished my instrument rating in early April with about 150 hours total. Given that, it was not especially easy to line up insurance for the 62. I ended up with a requirement for 50 hours of dual/multi and 10 more hours solo prior to carrying any pax. Plus earn the rating of course. The 50 hours dual could be in either my 62 or a DA42-VI. I ended up doing about 15 of the hours in the 42 and the rest in my plane, with the check ride being in the 42. As far as I know there isn’t a DPE that can do a multi check ride in a 62. Anyway, as far as flying the planes, the 42-VI and 62 are so similar that this was pretty efficient and seamless. Nice to have all of that behind me! I’m happy to keep learning but nice to be done with school and check rides for awhile. I’m at ~230 hours now and very comfortable with the plane. It helped a ton that all of my PPL and Instrument hours were in the DA40 G1000. Hell of a year - first lesson ever was last June. The DA42-VI is the perfect airplane for the multi rating, and I happen to know an excellent instructor lady who owns a nearly new one.

Typical missions for this plane will be Austin to places in UT/CO where it is less hot and there are real trees. Plus shorter runs to New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, South Padre etc, and of course the $100 hamburger circuit. My wife has been up with me and was smiling afterward, just need to do a trial flight with the dog...
Thanks for the response Jason. I asked because I some how see my path being very similar to yours (I hope). Your progress is very motivating.