4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Re: Weather Radar or Satellite link?

Post by jb642DA »

Hi Ron -

The older A330s (and B757/767) have decent turbulence detection capabilities. The new A300-900 (I think we have 5 of them now) has an even better system in it (15 year newer radar technology).

The detection is based on software algorithms to analyze the doppler return data. Usually, where the "turbulence" (magenta color) shows up on the radar display, there is other "stuff" (yellow/red returns) in the vicinity that I don't want to fly anywhere near, so the displayed "turbulence" is redunant.

Very occasionally I'll see "turbulence" depicted in light precipitation areas (green returns) - in that case its usually a good indication of light to moderate chop. I'll avoid those "return areas" too if possible. If not possible, I'll have everyone "in their seats with seat belts fastened!"

I don't think the GWX70, in the DA62, has the ability to display "turbulence" - the Garmin website for the GWX70 shows :
Optional Doppler-enabled advanced features are available including turbulence detection to identify turbulence in air containing particulates, such as precipitation or dust, out to 40 nautical miles.

I don't see any reference to the "turbulence option" in my G1000 NXi manual, nor were there any "additional options" associated with ordering the GWX70 through Diamond. I've never seen any magenta color on the display either. If I did, I'd stay away!

I believe the new GWX 75/80 has a turbulence detection feature built into it (not as an "option")

Overall, I think the GWX70 is a very capable radar. Even so, I try to avoid flying into anything other than light green returns in our DA62.
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
rdrobson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ron
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N84LT
Airports: KFAR

Post by rdrobson »

Thanks John!

You're right, you can't get turbulence detection in the DA62 because it requires a 12" dish or greater. However, I have a Phenom 100EV on order that does have the 12" dish and the option for turbulence detection. Thankfully, I got Embraer to throw that in on the deal, I wasn't sure if it was worth paying for based on the earlier report. Sounds like staying clear of yellow and red returns will accomplish most of the same thing.

Thanks,

Ron

BTW, do you get the AOPA magazine? That's my DA62 in there this month!
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Page 46 !!!!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

I find if I turn the gain up while flying IMC in a convective environment, I can use the radar to spot turbulence. It will show up as green pixels on the screen and won’t be there with calibrated gain. I’m flying with a GWX-75 and this method works really well. It also worked with the GWX-70 I used to fly with.