5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Potential New DA62 Owner

Post by CFIDave »

Wilfried wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:31 pm Reading this thread and the comparison with the SR22T I wonder, if not a Meridian would be the right comparison.
It all depends on the type of flying you want to do.

If you want a comfortable aircraft strictly as transportation to fly your family to your destination, with the ability to cruise in pressurized comfort up high above the clouds, then the Meridian may be for you. The Meridian has a very nice cabin for passengers but you can't put much in it due to lack of payload. The cockpit is very cramped and hard to enter/exit between the seats, and the limited cockpit view outside IMHO is like looking out the slits of a bunker. It also has only a single piston engine (stressed to provide pressurization), so I'd be concerned about flying it over inhospitable terrain.

On the other hand, if you really like to fly, and want to view the scenery passing below with fuel consumption low enough to fly around on nice days without always having a specific destination in mind, then the DA62 is for you. You're already familiar with how it flies since the DA62 handling is virtually identical to your DA42NG. But with slightly better performance, and far more interior space.

To me, the DA62 is the ideal of a fun-to-fly recreational airplane combined with a serious traveling machine you can fly at night, over mountains, big water, etc.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:59 pm [It also has only a single piston engine (stressed to provide pressurization), so I'd be concerned about flying it over inhospitable terrain.
I think you are referring to the piston-powered Malibu, not the turboprop Meridian (or Jet Prop conversion variant). Turbines are obviously incredibly reliable as long as the engine gets fuel.

Chris
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Chris B wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:39 pm
CFIDave wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:59 pm [It also has only a single piston engine (stressed to provide pressurization), so I'd be concerned about flying it over inhospitable terrain.
I think you are referring to the piston-powered Malibu, not the turboprop Meridian (or Jet Prop conversion variant). Turbines are obviously incredibly reliable as long as the engine gets fuel.

Chris
You're right, since all the PA-46 variants start with "M" I was thinking of the Mirage instead of Meridian (they're all Malibu's as well). The turboprop version is definitely more reliable but requires you to fly up high for turbine efficiency.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

I went through the Malibu/Matrix/Meridian thought process before ordering our DA62. Pressurization and a turbo-prop would be nice. (I wasn't interested in the piston versions.)

HOWEVER, I "hate" getting into either pilot seat in the Malibu/Matrix/Meridian series. If you've never gotten into the cockpit of one of these - try it sometime. You will either be "OK" with it or HATE the "experience"!!

I agree with CFIDave - the view out the front is "minimal" compared to the DA20/40/42 and 62. I also came to the conclusion that the Meridian would be a point A to B plane - I would most likely not take it out for a "joy ride" or $200-500 hamburger!

On the other hand, "I love flying" our DA62 as well as "loved flying" our former DA42. I've flown a "bunch" of different planes over the last 45 years - I can only say "I love flying" about a handful of those other planes!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

I totally agree with you Dave and John.

When choosing the DA62 I first saw the M350. My wife and I both felt claustrophobic in the Piper and to climb to the pilot’s seat was a feat in itself, let alone exit in an emergency where we have 3 wide doors to exit in the DA62.
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

All depends on your trade-offs. A friend transitioned last year from a tricked-out SR22T to an M500 in a partnership and loves it. Most importantly, his non-pilot spouse loves it, and the M500 also fits in their hangar at TVL.

They considered a DA62 and SF50, but preferred the M500. Their primary goal is comfortable & fast regional point-to-point travel. If you can swing the cost, a pressurized turboprop is tough to beat for that mission.

The M600 is even more capable, but they don't need the range or payload. Or added cost. ;)

Chris
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Post by TJS »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:59 pm
Wilfried wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:31 pm Reading this thread and the comparison with the SR22T I wonder, if not a Meridian would be the right comparison.
It all depends on the type of flying you want to do.

If you want a comfortable aircraft strictly as transportation to fly your family to your destination, with the ability to cruise in pressurized comfort up high above the clouds, then the Meridian may be for you. The Meridian has a very nice cabin for passengers but you can't put much in it due to lack of payload. The cockpit is very cramped and hard to enter/exit between the seats, and the limited cockpit view outside IMHO is like looking out the slits of a bunker. It also has only a single piston engine (stressed to provide pressurization), so I'd be concerned about flying it over inhospitable terrain.

On the other hand, if you really like to fly, and want to view the scenery passing below with fuel consumption low enough to fly around on nice days without always having a specific destination in mind, then the DA62 is for you. You're already familiar with how it flies since the DA62 handling is virtually identical to your DA42NG. But with slightly better performance, and far more interior space.

To me, the DA62 is the ideal of a fun-to-fly recreational airplane combined with a serious traveling machine you can fly at night, over mountains, big water, etc.
Well said Dave,
My wife agrees too. We are stepping up to a DA42TDI from a DA40, hopefully next week.
We considered the Mirage but we could not give up the "fun flying" aspect of the Diamonds which is still 50% of our flying.
xyzbobxyz
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Registration: N933A
Airports: KGYY

Post by xyzbobxyz »

I am also putting my toe in the water. I have a Bonanza that is awesome to fly but too small and too slow for my needs. I had been settled on a Cessna 421C when I saw the Diamond 62 at Oshkosh and fell in lust.

My Bonnie has ADS-B In/out, Garmin 430W and I use Foreflight on my Ipad. I prefer the RNAV approaches and love to let slave feature couple to the 430 and fly the magenta line without any assistance. I also have grown reliant on the weather and traffic information that the ADSB sends to my 430 and my Ipad. So my questions, and I have read both G1000 threads and much here, yet still am not clear:

1. If I purchased a used 62, do all these electronic perks from my Bonnie go away? Are they replaced with some other feature I have yet to experience?

2. If I purchase new, would the answer above change?
rkaplan
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Richard
Aircraft Registration: N296LA
Airports: KFDK KAGC

Post by rkaplan »

For 1,5 Mio € you might consider a 4 year old Meridian e.g.
Have you looked at the W&B numbers for a Meridian?

It is barely even a 2-seater with baggage. No chance it can fit 5 plus baggage within stated W&B numbers.
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

We had the same thought when I bought my DA62 with two coowners last year. However it quickly shows that a turbine is a lot more complex and at least in Germany many private turbines and jets are not getting clearance to higher FL and therefore burn an even bigger hole in your pocket. I once flew the Da62 for fun with 45% per engine, burning 9gal of fuel (total) and still flying 110 kias. So faster and the same fuel as a C172, but with two engines, deicing, oxygen and all the comfort ;-)

Here is a nice overview of the safety features, which are pretty good as well:

https://youtu.be/HXck2JK-9sk

So far I don’t regret the decision vs a SR22T or a turbo prop at all!

Regards,
Jan