4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Flying Magazine Article Sep 2019

Post by ultraturtle »

Flying Sep 2019 cover.jpg
Not much content, but the pictures are nice.
Carl
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Carl
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N401CR
Airports: KMYF KSBD KEUG KBFI

Re: Flying Magazine Article Sep 2019

Post by Carl »

I read the article and was frankly disappointed.

Steve Pope spent far more time writing about his experience with the SR22, and how the DiamondShare program works, than he did about actually flying the DA62. I think there is something like a total of four paragraphs exclusively devoted to the DA62. Lame.

Based on the title I expected him to concentrate on talking about flying the airplane, and his training.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I learned a lot when I wrote an article for one of the flying magazines. These, and probably most verticals, are really ad-revenue generators. They are not serving readers, they are serving the companies that purchase the advertising space. So an article that mentions three or four advertisers is much better for the magazine than one that mentions only one.

Once I understood that, I watched and read a little more carefully. And once you know it, it's an easy pattern to spot.

In my article I spent "too much time talking about Apple" and not enough about the software developers who advertised. I adjusted it. They adjusted it some more.

I think the DA62 article was just as much about the flight school as it was about the planes. They could have used a cover shot of the flight schools line of Diamond planes instead.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I agree that the article was disappointing and didn't match its title. It was much more a "stream of consciousness" about how Pope eventually got to make a few flights in a DA62, rather than what it was like to actually fly (or train in) the aircraft.

After having 1) lost his DA40 DiamondShare membership when the aircraft owner moved away from his local airport, 2) lost his access to the Cirrus provided with his job, and 3) an unsuccessful attempt at setting up a local DA62 DiamondShare, the author seemed to be lamenting that he's back to flying 172s in a local flying club.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI