3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Re: Looking to purchase DA62

Post by Pehu »

ememic99 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:43 pm
Pehu wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:59 pm I asked Diamond directly about these issues and how they plan to tackle those. No reply yet (my rep came back from trip last Fri), I'll give them time to answer.
Good luck with this :)
They did respond today, so pretty swift. So no luck needed here, Emir ;)

Basically what I was told is that the after sales / parts issue they are very much aware of and it is being fixed. It is due to management change, doubled production, hiring staff etc. Makes sense. Things don't change overnight, I understand that, but as long it's on management's radar, I think it is going to get improved.

I really appreciated the prompt reply from DAI :thumbsup:

Thank you Jan for feedback as well.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

Every input you get here is anecdotal, which is heavily weighted negative, since human nature weighs whining heavily over praising. My two year experience with the DA 42 VI prior to trading up to the DA62 revealed no issues whatsoever, in other words 0.0 hours down time. Every time I needed her, she was ready. For me, readiness was priority #1, and she performed beautifully.

It is absolutely true that you can purchase a decades old turboprop or turbine for less than a gently used DA62. My decision to purchase the DA62 was a general preference to operate the aircraft on a predictable basis for practical use, as opposed to owning an unreliable sweat-beast strictly for bragging rights.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ultraturtle wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:10 am Every input you get here is anecdotal, which is heavily weighted negative, since human nature weighs whining heavily over praising. My two year experience with the DA 42 VI prior to trading up to the DA62 revealed no issues whatsoever, in other words 0.0 hours down time. Every time I needed her, she was ready. For me, readiness was priority #1, and she performed beautifully.
I think "anecdotal", which the dictionary defines as "not necessarily true or reliable..." dilutes the contribution by members of this forum. Most of what is written here is first person experience, albeit mixed with opinion and emotion about the factory response or timing thereof. These are other owners, not a random collection of pilots in a bar.

The fact remains that the DA62's shipping today from London are still without support for ADSB-In, the Flightstream 510 and other features which were available on other NXi equipped aircraft 2-3yrs ago. No NXi equipped Diamond supports all the FIS-B wx products that have been available in both other certified aircraft and STC'd Garmin products for over six months. That's not "anecdotal", it's fact.

It's possible to express your affection for the airplane without attempting to undercut the credibility of member contributions on this forum.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

ultraturtle wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:10 am It is absolutely true that you can purchase a decades old turboprop or turbine for less than a gently used DA62. My decision to purchase the DA62 was a general preference to operate the aircraft on a predictable basis for practical use, as opposed to owning an unreliable sweat-beast strictly for bragging rights.
Decades? When did you last time check aircraft prices?

It is absolutely possible to buy two-three years old turboprop for the same money, much longer engine TBO and more/less all missing features promised to DA62 owners. The only question is mission - if you need/want turboprop.

Btw believe or not the owners of turbine aircrafts also fly them by themselves, not only own them.
jbrauertn
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: M54

Post by jbrauertn »

Having owned our DA-62 for 14 months and flying it about 130 hours so far I can report zero downtime except for that due to scheduling/workload when completing the annual at my local FBO. There have been a few very minor issues that have been resolved efficiently by all including Diamond.

I think one thing that may have helped our situation was including factory Diamond training & certification in London, Ontario for our A&P as part of the original purchase contract. I highly suggest any new buyers consider doing so as well.

The plane is an absolute joy to operate and unbelievably efficient. Being somewhat new and unique it may present some challenges, but ramp presence... I've gotten numerous comments by tower controllers and ramp personnel, "That is a beautiful airplane!". On a flight from Florida to Tennessee last week Atlanta Center asked "What type aircraft is a Diamond DA-62? Is it something new?" I replied, "Pretty new, it's a 6/7 passenger diesel twin. About 100 or so in the states so far." The controller simply said " First one I've encountered. Nice!"

My only complaint with Diamond is the same as many others on this board... When the heck are they going to complete the Phase 2 software update process and get it Flightstream 510, visual approaches, etc?? I don't care what their excuses are! Get it done!
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by ememic99 »

jbrauertn wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:12 pm My only complaint with Diamond is the same as many others on this board... When the heck are they going to complete the Phase 2 software update process and get it Flightstream 510, visual approaches, etc?? I don't care what their excuses are! Get it done!
That’s what we’re trying to achieve asking owners to join in putting some pressure towards DAI. Nobody denies that DAI produces great planes (especially DA62) which we enjoy to fly. But there are issues that have to be addressed and resolved ASAP. Missing to notice that after sales customer support at DAI is not as it should be, won’t bring any benefit to owners regardless how much any of us likes his Diamond aircraft.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by ememic99 »

BTW I received a note from DAI that they would comment and disprove my statement on doubling prices of Mercedes injectors. However, after three weeks no comment and no reply either here on in my mailbox.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

jbrauertn wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:12 pmI think one thing that may have helped our situation was including factory Diamond training & certification in London, Ontario for our A&P as part of the original purchase contract. I highly suggest any new buyers consider doing so as well.
I attended the certification course in London last May, and can attest to its value. Best case would be for the owner and primary A&P to complete the course. At minimum, I would strongly recommend any owner not allow a mechanic who has not completed the course to even touch an Austro powered Diamond. Modern automobile engine technology, gear reduction units, FADEC, carbon fiber... This is not your fathers Baron.
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

ememic99 wrote:BTW I received a note from DAI that they would comment and disprove my statement on doubling prices of Mercedes injectors. However, after three weeks no comment and no reply either here on in my mailbox.
Because they probably can't.

If you do hear back Emir, I'd love to hear what DAI says.
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

A few weeks ago I did perhaps the first 900hr in the states (guessing so because Diamond didn’t even know which parts they wanted back for cores and it took a week to decide), and it was pretty straightforward.

They had quickly realized that the sum of the parts would make owners start saying, “ I might as well just buy a complete overhauled engine” so they did come up with a 900hr kit, which was close to $18k per engine.

The lead time on the kit was about six weeks, the work took a week.

In the spirit of the original question though, I think this does illustrate that the cost of owning a 62 are significantly greater than a 42, perhaps merely commensurate to the difference in purchase price though.