1 Diamond Member
First Name: Octavian
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: YR123
Airports:

New Owner - advice on configuration

Post by Octavian »

Hi there,
We are looking to place the order on a new DA62. For the moment the plane will be flown with a pilot, however I will start PPL classes within the next weeks. The plane will be pretty much flown for business between LROD and western europe but also casual flights with my family(2+2 small boys). Most likely it will take me over 6 months to get multi engine IFR rating. When flown for business, most of the times we will be between 2 and 5 people onboard.

I know DA62 is not a true all weather machine, and there will be times when we will fly commercially or just wait for weather to calm. I am trying to be as risk free as possible, especially when it comes to my family or passengers.

It would be great if you can help me to pick-up a good specs plane. I mention it must be new or under 50 hours, due to financing conditions. If I check all the recommended options, the price is going slightly our approved budget by 5-8%, but I'd rather spec it right then retrofit later.

The options i can choose are:

AVIONICS
Honeywell KN 63 remote DME
Becker 3500 remote ADF
WX 500 stormscope
Avidyne TAS 605 traffic advisory system
Garmin GWX 70 weather radar
Garmin GSR 56 Iridium satellite datalink (subscription required)
Garmin GCU 476 Keypad
Garmin synthetic vision technology
Garmin GTX 345R ADS-B in/out transponder
Garmin GDL 69A satellite data link receiver(subscription required, regional restrictions)
Garmin Flight Stream 510
Jeppesen PilotPak

Other Options
Diamond Airframe and Engine Program by Pistom Power™
Air conditioning/RACC system (powered by an add. alternator)
TKS deicing system
Oxygen system
Built-in tablet mount provisions (A-columns)
Removable right hand control stick - maybe good when only one pilot ?
Professional sunshades for PAX row 2 and PAX row 3
Seating configuration 3rd row
Diamond Premium Exterior Metallic Paint Desire (different colors)
Diamond Premium Exterior Metallic Paint Delight (different colors)
Diamond customized paint (final price depending on customer requirements)
Canopy- and nosecover (grey)
Engine cover (1 pair, grey)

With BOLD i have already selected what I have seen it is mandatory for a safer flight.
Can you please recommend the rest? Some pilots in my area told me that AC is not really a must, as with clever take off, for 10 minutes in heat for 2 months/year, it might not worth the 30k Euro and 41kg extra weight. Some even recommended portable cooler box or AC that we can remove the rest of 8-10 months? You being DA62 owners can give me a better idea.
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Re: New Owner - advice on configuration

Post by jast »

Here are my thoughts:

AVIONICS
Honeywell KN 63 remote DME - YES
Becker 3500 remote ADF - NO, not needed anymore
WX 500 stormscope - Maybe, YES if you decide against radar
Avidyne TAS 605 traffic advisory system - YES
Garmin GWX 70 weather radar - YES, mind the resell value
Garmin GSR 56 Iridium satellite datalink (subscription required) - NO, unless you need to make real calls via Irridium. Consider Golze ADL
Garmin GCU 476 Keypad - Maybe. No if you want to save money and have Flightstream (see below). It is ABCD and not QUERTY which I personally find a horrible choice
Garmin synthetic vision technology - YES
Garmin GTX 345R ADS-B in/out transponder -YES
Garmin GDL 69A satellite data link receiver(subscription required, regional restrictions) - see above
Garmin Flight Stream 510 - YES. Database updates and panel sync is very useful. Replaces keypad somewhat since you can change the flightplan on your ipad and sync
Jeppesen PilotPak - Don’t know that

Other Options
Diamond Airframe and Engine Program by Pistom Power™
Air conditioning/RACC system (powered by an add. alternator) - Maybe. W&B is nicer and with 2300kg the 40kg don’t hurt as much.
TKS deicing system - YES, for sure
Oxygen system - YES
Built-in tablet mount provisions (A-columns) - Expensive but nice.
Removable right hand control stick - maybe good when only one pilot ? - No. There was some big disadvantage...I think it‘s too complex too remove quickly.
Professional sunshades for PAX row 2 and PAX row 3 - No, My kids removed them on day 1
Seating configuration 3rd row - Yes, for sure. This would be a big hit on resale value. At least order the preparation kit

Diamond Premium Exterior Metallic Paint Desire (different colors)
Diamond Premium Exterior Metallic Paint Delight (different colors)
Diamond customized paint (final price depending on customer requirements)
Canopy- and nosecover (grey) - The Cover is nice, but rather big. If you fly to smaller airports a lot of which cannot give you a hangar this might be nice
Engine cover (1 pair, grey) - Same as above, less important though
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

My suggestions, sprinkled in with differences for Europe vs the US:

AVIONICS
Honeywell KN 63 remote DME - Yes. Sadly, EASA still requires DME to file IFR for some silly reason. (Not generally necessary in the US unless the non-GPS approaches at your IFR alternates require DME.)
Becker 3500 remote ADF - No, unless you regularly need to fly an NDB approach that does not have a GPS overlay.
WX 500 stormscope - No. Get weather radar
Avidyne TAS 605 traffic advisory system - Yes. Adds traffic that ADS-B in may not pick up. More important if you frequent non-tower airports
Garmin GWX 70 weather radar - Yes. Definitely
Garmin GSR 56 Iridium satellite datalink. Yes. It is the only way you can currently view large area weather products like radar and winds aloft on the G1000. ADS-B out weather products are only in testing phase in one German location, with no guarantee they will ever be available over a larger region. Sirius XM weather (GDL69A) is only available in North America. Golze ADL does not display on the G1000, has to be viewed on a seperate device, and is more costly than Iridium if you make more that about 60 downloads (5-10 flight hours) per month. As a bonus, you get 30 minutes of voice calling included with Garmin Connext (GSR56)
Garmin GCU 476 Keypad - Yes. One of those things that does not add a lot of utility, but would probably hurt resale value if you didn't have it. It is a flagship feature of Garmin NXi.
Garmin synthetic vision technology - Yes.
Garmin GTX 345R ADS-B in/out transponder - Definitely Yes. European mandate of Dec 2020 means you will be able to see more information about most traffic right on your G1000 screens.
Garmin GDL 69A satellite data link receiver - No. Only works in North America
Garmin Flight Stream 510 - Yes.
Jeppesen PilotPak - No. You will be using your iPad to reference charts and approach plates. You need to keep more important info on your MFD.
Diamond Airframe and Engine Program by Pistom Power™ - Probably not. Very expensive, but check with your accountant to see if it is a good solution for your tax and business planning
Air conditioning/RACC system - Probably yes. Check to see if there are many (any?) DA62s in Europe without this feature. If not, it could really hurt resale.
TKS deicing system - Absolutely yes.
Oxygen system - Yes. DA62 performance is best in the high teens, and you need oxygen for that
Built-in tablet mount provisions (A-columns) - Yes.
Removable right hand control stick - maybe good when only one pilot ? Not unless your right seater hates it. My non-flying wife has no problem with it.
Professional sunshades for PAX row 2 and PAX row 3 - No, unless they are JetShades, in which case Yes.
Seating configuration 3rd row - Not if you will be flying it for a long time. The DA62 can carry 5 folks and all their stuff a long, long, way. It's really a 5 seater at heart, and that's how many folks you need to carry. A sixth and seventh passenger severely restricts range and storage space. Configured with 5 seats, the cargo area is massive and you have greater useful load. If you'll be getting rid of it in a couple of years, then go for 7 seats, as that will enhance resale value.

Recommend you get your sunshades from JetShades, and just a canopy cover from Bruce's.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I have a DA42 with the removeable stick, and my wife loves being able to use her laptop move comfortably. Getting it out and back in is a breeze.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

Forgot to mention - In Europe, you have the option of purchasing a DA62 with a 1999 MTOW in order to avoid fees imposed on aircraft that weigh 2000 kg or more. Might want to look into that option as well.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

1999 kg MTOW is definitely way to go in Europe for avoiding route charges. It’s the same aircraft as 2300 kg MTOW - the only difference is paperwork. However, with that option you can’t have 3rd row of seats (which is IMO not necessary - 5 POB is what’s you’ll realistically carry if you think about filling fuel to actually fly somewhere).

ADL is great weather product for IFR touring in Europe. Having wx radar and ADL provides info for strategic and tactical weather avoidance. Do you need a stormscope on top of that? Maybe - when you gain experience in weather understanding you’ll be able to get useful info from all three sources. IMHO ADL is much better than Iridium based weather products (BTW ADL uses Iridium link).

Regarding ADF, legally In Europe you have to have if NDB is part of IFR approach you fly. However, in reality I don’t know anyone who really fly using ADF instead of using GPS overlay. I set the frequency, check signal, confirm needle direction just because it’s second nature :)
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

ultraturtle wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:47 pm Forgot to mention - In Europe, you have the option of purchasing a DA62 with a 1999 MTOW in order to avoid fees imposed on aircraft that weigh 2000 kg or more. Might want to look into that option as well.
Do a W&B calculation. I am only below 2000kg when I fly with 3 ppl max, reduced main fuel and no aux fuel (7-seater with ACC). Using the 1999kg version means likely flying illegally a lot, obviously it has the same technical capabilities, but is it worth the risk to loose insurance or get into trouble at a ramp check?

Btw: I used the 3rd row with kids several times already. I don’t want to miss it.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I would strongly recommend air conditioning on a DA62 to preserve resale value in such a luxurious aircraft.

But you won't miss having a GCU 476 keypad hidden away in the center console (I keep forgetting that we even have it) -- especially now that the FlightStream 510 lets you more easily enter flight plans via an iPad. Also the keypad is ridiculously expensive for what you get.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Octavian
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Octavian
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: YR123
Airports:

Post by Octavian »

I am surprised on have may have replied! Thank you !
I have some additional questions. As mentioned, I am not yet a pilot, so excuse my maybe silly questions.

Emir, what do you mean by ADL? I cannot find it on the diamond options. Maybe is it the "Garmin GDL 69A satellite data link receiver" ? If yes, I looked over the coverage, and unfortunately eastern europe(where I currently am) is not covered.

1999 kg is tempting, however the plane with some extras will put it near 1650kg empty weight. Wife and kids have a combined weight 75% of mine, however the pilot, me and my team each weight 90-100 kg. Each second flight we will be 3-4 guys. Add some luggage and we are at 400kg....dry weight.

Colin, great info. I will selects the removable stick. My wife also wants to learn how to fly. I imagine it i must be removed on the ground, and cannot be removed during flight?

I plan to keep the plane and get at least 1500 hours before going to a turboprop. However having flown GA as a passenger, I also want to feel the joy and see something outside, instead of being and A to B plane.

Based on your recommendations I will be slightly over the approved budget. Too bad the DA50 is not released this year and it will not have BRP. My wife told me either a second engine or a parachute :) (i know the safety record compared to sr22, but a wife is a wife ).
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

ADL is satellite receiver which presents weather info on iPad (and iPhone). You can’t get it from Diamond, you order it directly from manufacturer and any service shop can put it your aircraft if you choose non-removable type of device.

https://www.ing-golze.de/

Btw I would order iPad mounts from Diamond if they are not part of standard package.