4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Re: G1000 NXi Phase II

Post by Soareyes »

CFIDave wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:45 pm It's bizarre that your SYS Software Version isn't showing up -- I've never seen that before. Does it show up on your original MFD startup/splash screen during G1000 boot up?

It takes multiple steps after rebooting the G1000 NXi into Configuration Mode to re-configure the new GMA 1360 audio panel to enable 3D audio (or to turn on the ability for passengers to hear ATC radio -- essential for training flights with pilots in the back seat).

Once you reboot into Configuration Mode, you'll see G1000 NXi configurations accessible via PFD screens that are organized into page group "tabs" shown at the bottom, with one tab per LRU. You'll need to first find and open the tab for the GMA audio panel, then access a "GMA Options" page (it's actually about 4 pages long if you scroll down through all the options) that lets you change dozens of audio panel settings, including 3D audio.
The start-up splash screen shows "System: Garmin G1000 Nxi" and the usual database dates. It doesn't mention or have a spot for showing the system software version.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

The system software version is located at the top right of the splash screen. See the attached.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 1.30.21 PM.pdf
(334.97 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Soareyes »

My splash screen, with no software version listed:
Attachments
IMG_2352.jpg

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

That's an interesting change by Garmin!

How about on the System Status page?
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 9.42.16 AM.jpg
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Soareyes »

System Status page, Software Version "Not Available":
System Status Page_No Software Version.jpg
But, in Config Mode, 3D Audio was set to "USER," whatever that means. It didn't seem to be user selectable. Some of the pages in Config Mode stated a software version of "20.81"
Before.jpg
After changing "USER" to "ON" the 3D Audio now works!
After.jpg
Thanks Dave!

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

20.81 is your GDU (PFD and MFD) software version, which is nearly the same as for the DA40 and DA62 with NXi Phase II software.

Setting 3D audio to USER won't activate the feature for the DA62 either (it also requires ON). However on the DA40NG, setting 3D audio to USER causes 3D audio to show up as a user-selectable option on the AUX System Setup page 2.

2 other audio panel options I changed from "OFF" to "ON":

OFF While passenger in ICS, route selected NAV audio to passenger
OFF While passenger in ICS, route selected COM audio to passenger

This was necessary for back seat passengers to hear ATC radio calls. We often have other pilots as passengers who want to hear everything.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
StuartJ
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Stuart
Aircraft Registration: N62NC
Airports: KUGN

Post by StuartJ »

Hi everyone. I recently acquired N62NC which was upgraded to NXi Phase II by previous owner. I love the aircraft - it is an absolute delight to fly. One thing I miss compared to my previous aircraft is not having the voice call outs for 500’ altitude, minimum speed, etc. Can anyone tell me if those are things that the Diamond system does not have or do I not have it configured right?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Not sure what your previous aircraft was, but In the Diamond product line, 500' altitude call-outs were provided on pre-2009 Lycoming XL and XLS DA40s that came with Garmin TAWS (Terrain Awareness Warning System) -- a Garmin G1000 option that Diamond used to provide as standard on these aircraft. TAWS on the G1000 requires installation of a special software unlock SDcard.

Diamond later stopped delivering DA40s with TAWS once most owners started ordering their aircraft with Synthetic Vision (SVT). SVT includes a "TAWS-lite" capability that's lacking the 500' call-out. This includes all DA62s, none of which include TAWS.

So your DA62 (and mine) does not have TAWS or its 500' call-out.

However -- there's a way to "recreate" this feature without TAWS. With G1000 NXi Phase II, if you Bluetooth pair your iPad or iPhone running Foreflight with the GMA 1360 audio panel and select the Bluetooth Music 1 input, Foreflight will automatically generate a "five hundred" audio alert (along with other audio warnings you'll hear such as when you take the runway):
  • 500' AGL Alerts - The 500’ AGL alert is a simple callout that triggers when you descend through 500’ AGL after having been above 1,000’ AGL. The alert will only sound once every 60 seconds and is automatically disabled if your groundspeed is less than 40 knots.
See https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us ... le-alerts-
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
StuartJ
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Stuart
Aircraft Registration: N62NC
Airports: KUGN

Post by StuartJ »

Dave, thank you so much for the explanation. I will use the ForeFlight work around you suggest, which may be useful for other ForeFlight features.
My previous aircraft was a Pilatus, but I have also flown in Cirrus which has the NXi system with the voice call outs.
Stuart
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by Soareyes »

Soareyes wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:38 pm System Status page, Software Version "Not Available":

System Status Page_No Software Version.jpg
Follow up on my missing software version info:

The avionics wiz at the service center called Diamond and Garmin. They said to reload all the system software from scratch, a 4-5 hour job. By the end of the day it hadn't worked, software version still "Not Available."

Diamond then said that they didn't know what was wrong but the plane was grounded until they figured it out. I was only 200 miles from home and had to work the next day.

After a week the avionics wizard called to say it had been the subject of much discussion between Austria where it was made, Canada where it was checked out for North America, and Garmin. Apparently my plane is not the only one, there are others with the same "feature." They didn't say how many. They professed much embarrassment that it hadn't been caught by any of the quality control measures.

Thankfully, they also said that everything is working so there are no functional issues. The plane is safe to fly. Display of the software version would be fixed with the next version update which they are working on but don't have a release date yet.

add: They also confirmed that new 42s and 62s are shipped with the 3D Audio configured to "USER" which functions as OFF.