michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Re: Travel Cover for DA62

Post by michael.g.miller »

Pehu wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:16 pm Wings and tail tend to gather frost, which can be nuisance to remove. That is why wing/tail covers in the winter are essential in my opinion.

But props are easier to clean, so that is why I was wondering about those. The prop covers are not super expensive thou, but will save few 100's anyways :)
Personal opinion: just pay for the heated hangar if you're departing early in the morning. Or if it's not, get a contractor grade garbage bag, fill it with hot water, place it in sections over the wing, and squeegee the moisture off. Less effort than dealing with covers every flight.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

We've had a lightweight Bruce's travel cover for our DA62 nearly 4 years -- ever since we bought the plane new. Back then, I had to give Bruce's the antenna measurements so they could create their first cover for a DA62 (I had to send it back to them until it fit correctly.)

The travel cover is thin enough that it's easily folded and placed in the space behind the 3rd-row seats and rear cabin wall. Since it doesn't weigh very much, we leave it there except when it's in use.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
greg
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by greg »

michael.g.miller wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:14 am Is it nice to have a perfect paint job maintained for 20-30 years? Sure, but it’s not worth 20 minutes of hassle per flight. At least in my book.
This depends on where the plane is based. There is no way the paint job would last 30 years where I am. After four years sitting outside in the sun, most of the decals were cracked and the silver lettering on the tail was opaque. I also noticed a pinhole crack in the paint job that grew bigger, presumably due to water getting in and expanding as it froze.

So I went to covers for the wings, tail and rear fuselage to complement the existing canopy/engine cover. I didn't bother with the prop - my view is that it has to get painted every six years as part of required maintenance anyway.

I would love to avoid the 15 minutes each end of the flight to don and doff the covers, but there aren't any hangars here. Not to mention what to do with wet covers if flying after rain or frost. If it were in a hangar, I'd just stick with a lightweight cover for the canopy. But if sitting outside permanently, full covers are a necessary evil. Horses for courses...
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

michael.g.miller wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:14 am Is it nice to have a perfect paint job maintained for 20-30 years? Sure, but it’s not worth 20 minutes of hassle per flight. At least in my book.
Consider "ceramic" (more of a marketing term but it does work) coating. I put this on my 14 year old (original paint job) PC-12 three years ago and it allowed me to extend repainting. Also have it on my boat. Amazing stuff.

"Blue tape" the TKS panels first though!