4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Re: Building a new DA62 - need advice with options

Post by mfdutra »

Alright, I'll skip the keypad and pre heater then. I can spend that money in jet A and have a lot more fun.

I'll definitely get a cover. I'm still wondering how better or worse Diamond's cover is compared to Bruce's.

Thanks all for the help so far. I'm excited to join this family.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

I would not be without the Center keyboard despite also having the FS510.

Don’t be put off. Many commercial pilots, who also fly the DA62, swear by it too.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

CFIDave wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:06 am Changing frequencies is much easier/faster by spinning knobs on the PFD/MFD.

Yeah, I wish I had knobs instead of a keypad on my telephone.

Seriously though, the problem with the keyboard in the DA62 is poor implementation. What controls do you rarely use? Rudder trim, parking brake and heating controls yet those get the prime, front and center panel real estate. The keyboard needs to be at the bottom center of the panel.

In the Cirrus they have not only the numbers and letters but also the autopilot and audio panel right there. This makes sense since if you are using one you will probably also need the others. In a busy situation with rapid changes in frequencies, waypoints and altitudes, in the Cirrus your right hand fingers are a blur tapping away, all in one location. In the DA62 with an iPad, armrest keypad and panel you would be reaching right, left, up, down, here and there to get things done.

Early Cirrus keypads were designed by an engineer and had the letters displayed ABC like the Diamond keypad. It's funny how hard it is the find a letter when every other keyboard in your life is QWERTY. Cirrus fixed that in the last few years.

The DA62 cabin is wider than the Cirrus. There should be plenty of room to put in a full featured keypad below the panel, front and center.

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 6.36.50 PM.png
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 6.38.01 PM.png
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Soareyes wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:06 am
CFIDave wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:06 am Changing frequencies is much easier/faster by spinning knobs on the PFD/MFD.

Yeah, I wish I had knobs instead of a keypad on my telephone.
I realize you're being facetious, but one of the issues I have with the DA62's GCU 476 keypad is that it's "modal" in the way you enter frequencies: You can't just start entering digit keys to enter a new frequency; you have to first make sure the keypad is in the correct entry mode. You always have to start by hitting 2 other buttons (COM or NAV, then PFD or MFD) to choose the PFD or MFD field where you wish to enter the digits (which will put a turquoise highlighted box around the PFD or MFD frequencies fields on the PFD or MFD, indicating entry mode). THEN you can enter the frequency digits by hitting keys.

If you try "pre-selecting" a frequency box field beforehand with the GCU 476, the G1000 unfortunately will "unselect" the box after a few seconds of inactivity -- so you always have to start all over again to put the keypad into the correct frequency entry mode.

Contrast that with using a PFD or MFD knob: you can highlight the field where you intend to enter a new frequency beforehand and the field will remain selected until you get your next call from ATC to change frequencies. All you have to do is spin the inner/outer knobs to change a frequency -- no modal pre-selection is required. It's so much faster and easier than using the keypad.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
jbrauertn
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: M54

Post by jbrauertn »

mfdutra wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:53 pm My partner and I are building a new plane for delivery next year. Some options are pretty straightforward, but for some others, I'd appreciate some advice.

For context, I'm coming from a Cirrus G6.

Center keypad - it's nice, but so expensive. For folks that have that and also FlightStream, do you even use it? I have both in the Cirrus and I much prefer FlightStream, but I use the keyboard here and there, as it's right there.

Jet shades - I've heard the A/C isn't great. Would the shades help?

Engine pre-heater - Does that even make sense on a diesel engine? I live in California and I'd never dare to fly if temperatures are below -10C.

Canopy, nose and engines covers - Should I get them? I have a nice Bruce's cover for my Cirrus and I like it. Not sure if Bruce makes covers for the DA62 though.

Removable right stick - I'm undecided here. Certainly desirable if I have a non-pilot next to me, but how easy and practical is it to install and remove it?
--------------------------------------------

Center keypad - I tried to use it and it works fine, but I find it easier to just use the knobs on the screens. In my opinion it's placement in the 62 is not the best.

Jet shades - Yes

Pre-heater - No experience here

Covers - No experience here

Removable right stick - I don't have hat on my 62, but wish I did! My 91 year old father rides right seat a lot and it would be nice to have it out of his way and him out of the way of the stick! Makes ingress/egress easier and prevents potential interference with the stick.
KTZ Pilot
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: NTBD
Airports: KONX KBCT

Post by KTZ Pilot »

Jet Shades advertises both regular and “premium” shades for the DA62. The premium shades are apparently only for the aft windows and are blue in color. Main selling points of the premium seem to be ramp appeal of the “cool blue” color and an even greater reduction in solar energy transmission. Does anyone know which version of the shades are available as options with a new DA62? Any other experience/suggestions re the two versions of shades? Price ordered from Jet Shades is 2399 for the regular and 2999 for the premium. Worth it?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I got the "premium" shades when they first came out for the DA62 a few years ago. The aft window tinting is slightly darker, but there's no "blue" tint that I can detect -- all tinting is neutral gray, and the jet shades appear almost silver from the outside. Highly recommended.
Attachments
IMG_3985.jpeg
IMG_3984 (1).jpeg
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

CFIDave wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:05 pm I got the "premium" shades when they first came out for the DA62 a few years ago. The aft window tinting is slightly darker, but there's no "blue" tint that I can detect -- all tinting is neutral gray, and the jet shades appear almost silver from the outside. Highly recommended.
I have the same installed on my aircraft. My pax appreciate how easy it is to remove the jet shades in flight so they can take photos then put them right back in. Very easy to operate.
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner