First Name: Marcel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DIJJJ
Airports: EDLN

Transistion DA42-VI into DA62

Post by Mwarmer »

Hi all,

I'm just new to this society.
I've flown 300 hours in a DA42-VI. Made some mayor trips from Germany to Oshkosh, Germany to Northcape, Germany to Canary islands, Germany to Abu Dhabi, Germany to Egypt, Germany to south Africa. Longest trip Khatoum (Sudan) to Nairobi (Kenya) 7:02 hours 1220 Nm.
Just sold this airplane due to the fact that the DA42 is really smal. Now I'm at a pre buy inspection on a DA62.

Diamond does have a transition course from DA42 into DA62. Is it required to do this course?
What are the differences?

Thanks for any information, Marcel
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Transistion DA42-VI into DA62

Post by CFIDave »

Welcome to the forum!

If you've flown a DA42-VI that much, you really don't need a transition course to fly a DA62. The aircraft fly the same, and the systems are virtually all the same (I've owned both). The DA62 is simpler because there's no stick limiter to check as part of your pre-flight. Otherwise if you can push a button to start the engines rather than turn a key, you're already trained to fly the DA62.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

(I wish someone would try pushing both buttons and starting both engines at once.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
slowbird
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: FHDMD
Airports: EGTK

Post by slowbird »

You won’t need transition to fly, it’s very similar. Under EASA you do need familiarisation training on type and I always assumed that’s why Diamond offer the course. But familiarisation can be done with an instructor too.

You will need to be aware of some differences, be aware the cabin is much nicer and you have armrests, also you co-pilot can get out and do the walk around without you getting wet in the rain. ;->

The larger cabin is great and you will enjoy it for longer flights. And you will also find it easy to fly with all your DA42 experience.

The only thing I miss from the 42 is those nice winglets.
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

Post by sedatedokc »

Can some of you who have flown both planes comment on the view from the cockpit? The panoramic canopy in the DA42 is amazing. I have never seen a DA62.

But on the DA62, the view out the front and A-pillars seems much more constrained, just from youtube videos and pictures. Is there anyone who would keep the DA42 just for the view? Or is the DA62 not as constrained as it looks in videos?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The biggest loss of view is when transitioning from a DA40 single to a DA42 twin, even though both planes have the same bubble canopy and cabin. Simply stated, the twin engine nacelles often seem to get in the way of what you're trying to see on the ground.

In contrast, the additional loss of view transitioning from a DA42 to a DA62 (i.e., going from a bubble canopy to a cabin with gull-wing doors) is minimal. I haven't found the door A-pillars to get in the way, and they're actually quite useful as places to mount your iPad. I've also found that the DA62 cabin provides better shade from the sun, compared to the DA40/DA42 bubble canopy where wearing a baseball cap with visor is almost mandatory.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Mwarmer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marcel
Aircraft Registration: DIJJJ
Airports: EDLN

Post by Mwarmer »

Thank you all for comment. I’ll fly a couple of hours with an instructor, which I think it will be convenient. I do have more than 2000 hours total. So a transition will not be a major issue.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

Colin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:53 pm (I wish someone would try pushing both buttons and starting both engines at once.)
Neither will start. Diamond designed a curiously complex system to prevent it. There are 3 starter relays - main (normally open), left (normally closed), and right (normally closed). When the left engine pushbutton is pressed, it energizes the main relay to close, and energizes the right relay to open. The left relay is unpowered, and remains closed, so current flows through the main and left relays only, for a successful start.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

sedatedokc wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:52 am Can some of you who have flown both planes comment on the view from the cockpit? The panoramic canopy in the DA42 is amazing. I have never seen a DA62.

But on the DA62, the view out the front and A-pillars seems much more constrained, just from youtube videos and pictures. Is there anyone who would keep the DA42 just for the view? Or is the DA62 not as constrained as it looks in videos?
I've owned both, and agree with everything Dave said, but would add my perception is that from my seating position, the DA62 side window extends a bit lower than the DA42, giving greater downward visibility on the sides. Pretty good tradeoff from what you lose from having A-pillars (which seem to look thicker in pictures than they do in real life).

Also, I greatly prefer the larger roof area for sun protection. Even with the same size air conditioner and a dark paint job, the much larger DA62 actually seems to cool down a bit better than the DA42.
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

My height is 1.65m or 5FT 5”. To compensate for this, I had special seat cushions made and supplied by Diamond. The increased view by sitting higher up is tremendous.