5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: What should Colin's next plane be?

Post by Lance Murray »

Here is a pretty nice one!

These airplanes are truly great. They are very reliable and you will virtually cut your engine maintenance to a fraction of that on a high performance piston engine. You don't even have to change the oil!

https://www.controller.com/listings/air ... ng-air-e90
YCCA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeffrey
Aircraft Registration: N209DS
Airports: B19

Post by YCCA »

Lance Murray wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:46 pm Here is a pretty nice one!

These airplanes are truly great. They are very reliable and you will virtually cut your engine maintenance to a fraction of that on a high performance piston engine. You don't even have to change the oil!

Yeah but those things are close to $1000/hr to operate
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I should look seriously at a King Air and have someone line Lance point some out for me.

When I had the DA40 it cost $25 a night to park at CDW (Caldwell) outside of Manhattan. That was fine. Ten days later it was like a night in a hotel. They decided the DA42 is $75 a night so I almost never park there now. It's cheaper to get a tie down for a month than it is to pay that sort of cost.

I have a feeling that some of the fees on a King Air would make me wince a little. But I should look at them and talk to an owner.

(I also know that I am not currently a good enough pilot. Or I suspect I am not. The majority of deaths from PT6A failures are in King Airs. A couple recently, in fact, even with pilots with a lot of hours and recurrent training. I talked to the maintenance people at West Coast Charters about the accident they had at LGB and they said the guy was a good pilot, but not always the most careful with a checklist. I am careful with a checklist, but the amount of time you have between "uhoh" and flipping over and dying on takeoff in a King Air looks to be pretty short. I know what it is in the DA42 and it's practically slo-mo. "Hmm, something is up. What could it be? Look over here... aha..." All very calm. Since Lance flies professionally I imagine some of that isn't a concern for him, he's always ready. I worry that I wouldn't always be sharp enough.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Thanks for the link Lance
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Colin,

I am in San Diego so if there is anything you need I’m here and willing. I have a friend that owns a King Air recurrent training school if you ever want to talk with him about training. The airplane is a pretty easy airplane to fly. There definitely is airmanship required to be safe but I am willing to bet you can do it. The guys that crash are quite often the type-A personalities that think rules and procedures don’t apply to them. That crash in LGB is a real head scratcher. Some basic multi-engine skills and quality training and procedures will keep you safe.

Honestly a turbine PT6 is as easy to operate as the engines on your DA42. Or even easier.

Oh as far as checklist go,if you are single pilot the checklist can hinder you more than help. Learn flows, use them religiously, cut the checklist down to the basics. An example: at my airline the before takeoff checklist on a 767 consist of one single item.

First Officer “Flaps”
Captain “15”
First officer “15, before takeoff checklist complete”

Cut the checklist down to the items that will kill you. The rest should be done by a flow.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Not that high. A good rule of thumb on these for cost per hour is two times the fuel cost. So figure 70 gallons per hour times the current jet-A price times two. That’s a close estimate of your hourly variable cost. About $650.00 hr sounds about right. Ramp fees can be higher than a DA62. Not sure what an hourly on a DA62 would be but I bet it’s close to $500.00. Just a guess though.
YCCA wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:09 pm
Lance Murray wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:46 pm Here is a pretty nice one!

Yeah but those things are close to $1000/hr to operate
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: DA50 New Paint Scheme

Post by TimS »

ememic99 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:00 am
Colin wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:25 am
Are you saying you are getting a DA62?
And I can't in good conscience, buy a plane for over a million dollars where the company's strategy regarding software upgrades is so unclear.
This is something DAI management should read very carefully and with great attention.
The software issue was actually a deal breaker for me also. I ended back up in a Cirrus more due to this issue than any other.

Tim
Simonbird
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Simon
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: GSBSB
Airports: EGKR

Re: DA50 New Paint Scheme

Post by Simonbird »

Just checking this, i've just bought a new Da62, S/N 62.129 and the cumulative price for all maintenance up to 900 hours is around $75,000.

At least thats what i'm hoping!

Simon
Colin wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:25 am
Are you saying you are getting a DA62?
I think about it. It took me two years of thinking about the DA42 to buy one. If I had known how easy it was to fly and how inexpensive the fuel was I would have moved up three years earlier.

The DA62 seems expensive, both to buy and to maintain. Apparently the 900 hour service is $75,000. That's a lot on top of my current bills.

And I can't in good conscience, buy a plane for over a million dollars where the company's strategy regarding software upgrades is so unclear.

But I think about it.
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Simon -

Congrats on your 62 - is it on order or have you "received it"??

Do you have a copy of the latest Diamond Aircraft produced Sales document/pdf entitled:

DA62 Operating Costs (Retail)
1800 hours / 3 years

It has this info on the front page -

Per Hour Totals -

Scheduled Mx Parts -

Overhaul Costs -

Total -

Scheduled Mx Hours/Flight Hour
0.42/1.00

If so, could you please post it or PM me a copy?

Thanks!!
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Simonbird
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Simon
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: GSBSB
Airports: EGKR

Post by Simonbird »

Hi John

I've sent you a PM with the details of the pdf I have.

>Congrats on your 62 - is it on order or have you "received it"??

Thanks, i've only done the acceptance test flight with it in Austria. I now need to arrange its registration before bringing it back to the uk in the next 2-4 weeks time.

I love the plane, i'm upgrading from a DA40ng. Can't wait to take her on some long journeys....

In short, Colin should definitely buy one! :D