3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Austro Cylinder Heads

Post by Mdm0515 »

I found this interesting and had not seen before, though others on DAN may have. The incident itself is informative but I was much more interested in some of the concerning engine stats cited by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau. Wondering if others on DAN have any insights or additional information as to known root causes and/or manufacturing changes that may have occurred as a result.

http://kempseyflyingclub.com.au/Docs/PMQ%20Diamond.pdf
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Austro Cylinder Heads

Post by CFIDave »

That's a very well-written and informative accident analysis -- thanks for sharing.

Regarding cylinder heads on Austro AE300/AE330 engines, Austro introduced a new head part number last year (2020), although I'm not aware of what changes were made to its design, metallurgy, etc. compared to the original Mercedes car engine heads used in older Austros. The new cylinder head part number is E4A-12-500-000, and it's installed on all new AE300 and AE330 engines.

One advantage of the new head is that it permits the newest DA62 owners to avoid having to replace their cylinder heads at 900 hours -- the new cylinder head part has a time limit of 1800 hours, which is TBO.

For AE300 engines on DA40NGs and DA42NG/-VI aircraft, all old and new part number cylinder heads continue to have an 1800 hour (at engine overhaul) time limit.

FYI, here's a head removed from an Austro AE300 engine (you can clearly see Mercedes' 4 valve/cylinder design):
Attachments
IMG_2492.jpeg
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

This report has been out over six months. No comment from Austro?
Jroseund
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N526AE
Airports: KBFF

Post by Jroseund »

Is this something that someone with an early SN 62 can swap out for the newer cylinder heads, or wait until TBO if that can even be changed during overhaul?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Jroseund wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:39 pm Is this something that someone with an early SN 62 can swap out for the newer cylinder heads, or wait until TBO if that can even be changed during overhaul?
Any DA62 owner (or DA40NG/DA42 owner) with the original Mercedes heads can swap out their cylinder heads for the new model Austro heads at any time -- no need to wait for the 900 hour servicing or for 1800 hour TBO. (Personally I'm in no hurry to spend the $$$$.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI