Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
FIRST NAME: Pekka
Aircraft: DA62
Airport: EFHK

Re: MSB-E4-034 High Pressure Fuel Pump driving gear

Post by Pehu »

And what escaped from my eye... it is not IF they need to be replaced. They need to be replaced in any case.

Visually inspect the driving gear against colour criteria provided in the table 1. If acceptable criteria are not met, remove the camshafts according to the Engine Maintenance Manual chapter 85-30-00 subchapter 4A (a) - 4A (h), inspect the bushing of the inlet and outlet camshaft, take pictures and provide them to the Austro Engine support team before proceeding with the gear replacement, which is in any case needed.

The language is quite weird I'd say but the process chart is clear. The part needs to be changed, if there is color change, more parts come out of the engine and needs to be checked.

And the wait time for these parts is in weeks :scream:
PPL(A) with MEP/IR

ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Donkadillapig
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
FIRST NAME: Steve
Aircraft: DA40NG
Airport: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

So my local shop has been authorized by Diamond to remove and inspect the fuel pump.... IF gear is not discolored... then replace and 034 is solved.
if it is , training, spares kit etc to be pursued.
Then I believe they'll check the numbers on the cylinder heads cover per 035.... again IF all good we are in business.

Diamond's director of Mx has apparently indicated that in the field they have encountered very few issues with the gear and there's strong chance that these MSB's amount to "inspect" only.
We'll see, intervention planned Tuesday evening. Will update. Hope this helps other owners out there.
Donkadillapig
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
FIRST NAME: Steve
Aircraft: DA40NG
Airport: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Back in the air!!!
One thing to be aware of... After direct phone calls with Diamonds director of Mx. Our A&P established (contrary to my and others muddled understanding) that if the cylinder head checks out by serial (per MSB 035) then no further intervention is required. if you have the older style head the fuel pump gear is not going to be one of the suspect batch.... So in the end it was a simple cowling removal, number location and check, and all was well.
Hope this helps, I really wan these Jet A Austro's to be a success. :)
Soareyes
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
FIRST NAME: Dan
Aircraft: DA42-VI
Airport: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Pehu wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:24 pm
And what escaped from my eye... it is not IF they need to be replaced. They need to be replaced in any case.

Visually inspect the driving gear against colour criteria provided in the table 1. If acceptable criteria are not met, remove the camshafts according to the Engine Maintenance Manual chapter 85-30-00 subchapter 4A (a) - 4A (h), inspect the bushing of the inlet and outlet camshaft, take pictures and provide them to the Austro Engine support team before proceeding with the gear replacement, which is in any case needed.

The language is quite weird I'd say but the process chart is clear. The part needs to be changed, if there is color change, more parts come out of the engine and needs to be checked.

A new Service Information notice is out, attempting to clarify MSBs -34 and -35:
http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... cement.pdf

"For engines equipped with an affected HPP gear: Within the compliance times specified in Table 1 of this AD, as applicable, replace each affected HPP gear with a serviceable part in accordance with the instructions of the replacement SB."

Definition of a serviceable part:

"Serviceable part: Any HPP driving gear, eligible for installation, which is not an affected part."

So maybe the mechanic can reinstall the old gear as long as it is not a discolored, "affected" gear? And maybe they can even reinstall an affected gear, presumably to allow a ferry flight:

"This AD is revised to allow temporary installation of affected HPP gears as replacement parts."
DA42-V1

Previous: Hang glider, Paraglider, DA40x3, Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22