5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: MSB-E4-034 High Pressure Fuel Pump driving gear

Post by CFIDave »

To answer your other question about the "white stuff" coming off your engine's head cover: that's fireproof paint.

There was a batch of (white) fireproof paint on multiple aircraft that flaked off not only engine head covers, but also the inside of the engine cowlings. I had this occur on both of my DA62 engines. Diamond service center SouthTec Aviation in NC re-painted the inside of the engine cowlings (under warranty) with new white fireproof paint, but didn't feel it was necessary for the small engine head covers. Diamond now uses a different black fireproof paint on the inside of their cowlings.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Juan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N195DA
Airports: KCEU

Post by A Dopo »

Thanks!! Also looks like we are clear of the ADs or whatever they are...!
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

Interesting development. My DA62 suffered engine malfunction yesterday (Left engine was shut down mid air). The plane diverted to Rostock, Germany, and crew is safe. But the datalogs readout and pilot's suspection was the high pressure pump. The plane has gone through both MSBs and was cleared ok by the diamond factory in LOAN. It was serviced there just couple of weeks ago.

Logs and data has been sent to Diamond and Austro, but if this is truly the case, are the problems still over with the HPP saga?

Both are new engines, just roughly over 100 hours on both.

Now waiting to get some info how this is going to get fixed, what Diamond tells us and will the right engine work at least for the trip home base (or maybe fly it to LOAN again).

I will keep you posted when I get more information.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pehu »

Maintenance checked the plane and found, that Lh engine had broken HPP gear. RH engine also showed discoloring.

Both MSBs affecting this issues had been done at the factory at 90hours time (checking the gears, replacing them etc). Now, after 14 hours, engine malfunction and the other engine is showing discoloring (which wasnt there in the checkup).
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

"Both are new engines, just roughly over 100 hours on both."
Pehu wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:41 am Maintenance checked the plane and found, that Lh engine had broken HPP gear. RH engine also showed discoloring.

Both MSBs affecting this issues had been done at the factory at 90hours time (checking the gears, replacing them etc). Now, after 14 hours, engine malfunction and the other engine is showing discoloring (which wasnt there in the checkup).

Wow. Much sympathy for you.

Was the HPP gear that failed 14 hours after inspection actually a new one and not just the old one that "passed" and was reinstalled?

Also, was the failed gear in an engine with the new style cylinder head, in other words an Austro/Austro engine and not a Mercedes/Austro engine?
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pehu »

MSB says, that the gear needs to be changed whatever their original condition. So they were changed.

Yes, I have new engines so I guess it is austro/austro engine then.

Just received photos of the HPP gears, all black (the original gear were not discolored). LH engine gear was broken.

Lets see how this is handled by Diamond. Hoping it won't be months of wait...
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pehu »

Just received this:
I have just returned from RLG. The worst case has occurred. As described, two teeth are missing from the left pump. Austro engine support said in advance that if this is the case, the engine must be changed. So I don't think the aircraft can be made ready to fly again so quickly. Also the right engine needs at least a major repair. I have already contacted the support how it should and can go on now.
So new engine. Is that 6 months or 12 months? Major repair?

Not so happy Diamond camper now. Lets see how the factory solves this. That plane was just less than 6 months old :(
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Wow!!! this is not good at all......
In air, gear failures AFTER the MSB was carried out.... How can this NOT make it's way into an immediate AD that grounds our planes??
I don't feel like this is getting enough attention.... I'm a rookie owner and by my own admission know not much about anything. BUT I do know this, I've paid half a million dollars for a brand new plane that is less than 6 months old that seemingly could quit on me at any time and no-one really seems to have a plan to prevent this.
Am I the only person a little freaked out about this??
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Donkadillapig wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:41 pm Wow!!! this is not good at all......
In air, gear failures AFTER the MSB was carried out.... How can this NOT make it's way into an immediate AD that grounds our planes??
I don't feel like this is getting enough attention.... I'm a rookie owner and by my own admission know not much about anything. BUT I do know this, I've paid half a million dollars for a brand new plane that is less than 6 months old that seemingly could quit on me at any time and no-one really seems to have a plan to prevent this.
Am I the only person a little freaked out about this??

Apparently the affected HPP gear is found only in Austro engines made totally in house and not in Austro engines that started out in the Mercedes factory. The folks in charge of manufacturing the new engine blocks at Austro must be suitably freaked. And yeah, if it is determined that the MSB is not a fix, a grounding AD for Austro/Austro engines could follow.

It is interesting that the list of affected engines does not chronologically follow the serial numbers of the aircraft. It appears they have been feeding the new style engines into the production line piecemeal for a year or two. A new plane may have an Austro or a Mercedes based engine. Smart really, that way if there was a problem with the new engines it would not stop all production. If your engine shows Mercedes Benz in raised letters you don't have to worry about this one.

If they have to halt installation of homegrown engines for a while, or replace a bunch of engines in the field, I wonder how many Merc blocks they still have in the back room.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz, my friends all fly Austros, I must make amends.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Pehu »

They are still investigating. No word from Diamond management, I guess they want to wait the "verdict" first. Technical support and the maintenance organization have been active reporting to me. The current situation is, that it MIGHT be that both engines can be repaired (no replacement).

But what Steve said, I am worried too that the MSBs might not be enough and the problem still persists. Or it was some kind of a mistake made in the factory maintenance when they did the related MSB. Well, to be honest, that doesn't sound good either.

If you want to be sure, I would ask the maintenance to do a check after the MSB has been done, say 10-20 hours, if the gear are normal. Of course that is a bit added cost, but i guess it is easy/fast thing to do (?).

Situation sucks, but let's hope other planes fly safe. I would say that in my situation losing both engines at the same time were a real possibility since RH side HPP gear was black too... luckily the pilot was able to divert quickly.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155