2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: derek
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Re: MSB-E4-034 High Pressure Fuel Pump driving gear

Post by manatee »

My engine is one of the affected serial numbers (DA40NG purchased April 2021). Anyone have luck finding a maintenance shop with the required parts and tools on the east coast US? The service center nearest to me (Take Flight Aviation in NY) reported that the factory is backlogged in supplying them.

It is also not good hearing that there was a failure even after the service. I am going to stay VFR and at higher altitudes for a while and encouraged the other pilot sharing my plane to do the same (if they choose to fly at all). I am surprised this issue has been so quiet - I would not have found out about it unless I browsed this forum periodically for this exact reason. Would not have been fun to find out by engine failure.
Mdm0515
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Post by Mdm0515 »

Is this also the supposed and never communicated cause of the IMC engine out of a training DA40 NG in NY in October of 2020 that happily returned to land safely under exemplary CFI response? I think Diamond is failing both mechanically and through poor communications and puts its brand equity at serious risk. I loved my 2019 DA 40 NG (now not mine) but would not buy another one at the time being. I was pursuing a Diamond twin (42 or 62) but remain a little spooked by the many unknowns
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Mdm0515 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 pm Is this also the supposed and never communicated cause of the IMC engine out of a training DA40 NG in NY in October of 2020 that happily returned to land safely under exemplary CFI response? I think Diamond is failing both mechanically and through poor communications and puts its brand equity at serious risk. I loved my 2019 DA 40 NG (now not mine) but would not buy another one at the time being. I was pursuing a Diamond twin (42 or 62) but remain a little spooked by the many unknowns
I asked specifically about this case last month at the meeting at DAI factory in Austria and they promised to provide the answer. However, they promised same a year (or more) ago and nothing happened. Soon after NY case there was ditching accident close to France coast with similar indications but unfortunately the aircraft is at bottom of the sea at 700m of depth.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

A DA42 just lost an engine on takeoff in Europe. I saw it flit by on a YouTube channel that has ATC conversations around incidents.

This is a link to the video.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Colin wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:55 am A DA42 just lost an engine on takeoff in Europe. I saw it flit by on a YouTube channel that has ATC conversations around incidents.

This is a link to the video.
Not sure when that happened Colin but the end of the video says it landed safely and departed 3 days later. So I don't think it has anything to do with the current fuel pump issue.
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

FAA have now escalated this to an AD, mirroring EASA.
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

I got a call from diamond today and they explained to me what has happened in my case. In short:

Diamond factory maintenance at LOAN did not do the MSB035 properly - they did not do 5 min max takeof power ground run continuously as was required. The wording on MSB is not too clear. I heard there are other similar cases where MX shops have not done the MSB properly, missing that 5 min MTOP requirement or done that 5 min in parts etc. There will be a new revised MSB version at some point that fixes this.

So it was HPP gear and that was broken. It might be possible to repair both engines without replacing them, if they find the missing gear teeth and no damage has been done to the engine.

Even thou there will be downtime in the plane, the call I got today that was honest and straightforward. I really appreciated it. The team has been on the case and things are now moving with the German MX shop to get the plane flying asap. I will get warranty extended and we will talk also further actions once we know how much downtime there is and the plane is flying again.

So for everyone; please make sure that your MX shops have done the MSB035 in a correct manner. 5 min MTOP continuously and after that, check the HPP gear.

Glad to see Diamond is taking this seriously and having honest and straightforward answers to my questions. And committing on sorting this out, both technically and warranty/financial wise. They also know the reasons why this happened and what causes the HPP gear to fail, so I am also confident they can fix the root cause and we can safely fly our diamonds at the end of the day.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Thanks Karl for the AD info.....
My HPP gears were never checked as the A&P at the time declared my engine unaffected.
I have little confidence in this judgement and am now going to seek a gear inspection regardless of engine block/cylinder head flavor. I would rather shell out the few hundred dollars to get this put to bed than live with the uncertainty. I am about to introduce my wife to the wonderful world of our capable time machines and an engine out "mayday" situation with her aboard would effectively be the end of my fledging flying career!

I'm no nervous ninny but I spent 11 years as a professional diver and can smell dangerous situations in the making.
From what I read here there is simply too much confusion out there even amongst Mx outfits.

I failed to attach the PDF of the AD, PM me if any body wants it. the number is AD 2021-22-20
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Attached is the AD file, and here again are the 2 relevant Austro MSBs referred to in the AD:

https://austroengine.at/uploads/pdf/MSBE4034r3.pdf
https://austroengine.at/uploads/pdf/MSBE4035r1.pdf
Attachments
2021-22-20.pdf
(268.5 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Donkadillapig wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:59 pm
My HPP gears were never checked as the A&P at the time declared my engine unaffected.
I have little confidence in this judgement and am now going to seek a gear inspection regardless of engine block/cylinder head flavor. I would rather shell out the few hundred dollars to get this put to bed than live with the uncertainty.

From what I read here there is simply too much confusion out there even amongst Mx outfits.

More maintenance is not always better. MIF (maintenance induced failure) is a thing. In this case it seems that the HPP problem is restricted to engines that were made from scratch in the Austro factory and not in engines that were bought from Mercedes and later finished by Austro. Pop off your cowling, look on the right side of the engine. If it says Mercedes Benz in raised letters this AD - Does Not Apply. Opening up an engine at any time is an opportunity to induce a problem. Don't do it if you don't have to, especially if "...there is simply too much confusion out there even amongst Mx outfits."
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22