3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Re: MSB-E4-034 High Pressure Fuel Pump driving gear

Post by Pehu »

And what escaped from my eye... it is not IF they need to be replaced. They need to be replaced in any case.

Visually inspect the driving gear against colour criteria provided in the table 1. If acceptable criteria are not met, remove the camshafts according to the Engine Maintenance Manual chapter 85-30-00 subchapter 4A (a) - 4A (h), inspect the bushing of the inlet and outlet camshaft, take pictures and provide them to the Austro Engine support team before proceeding with the gear replacement, which is in any case needed.

The language is quite weird I'd say but the process chart is clear. The part needs to be changed, if there is color change, more parts come out of the engine and needs to be checked.

And the wait time for these parts is in weeks :scream:
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

So my local shop has been authorized by Diamond to remove and inspect the fuel pump.... IF gear is not discolored... then replace and 034 is solved.
if it is , training, spares kit etc to be pursued.
Then I believe they'll check the numbers on the cylinder heads cover per 035.... again IF all good we are in business.

Diamond's director of Mx has apparently indicated that in the field they have encountered very few issues with the gear and there's strong chance that these MSB's amount to "inspect" only.
We'll see, intervention planned Tuesday evening. Will update. Hope this helps other owners out there.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Back in the air!!!
One thing to be aware of... After direct phone calls with Diamonds director of Mx. Our A&P established (contrary to my and others muddled understanding) that if the cylinder head checks out by serial (per MSB 035) then no further intervention is required. if you have the older style head the fuel pump gear is not going to be one of the suspect batch.... So in the end it was a simple cowling removal, number location and check, and all was well.
Hope this helps, I really wan these Jet A Austro's to be a success. :)
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Pehu wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:24 pm And what escaped from my eye... it is not IF they need to be replaced. They need to be replaced in any case.

Visually inspect the driving gear against colour criteria provided in the table 1. If acceptable criteria are not met, remove the camshafts according to the Engine Maintenance Manual chapter 85-30-00 subchapter 4A (a) - 4A (h), inspect the bushing of the inlet and outlet camshaft, take pictures and provide them to the Austro Engine support team before proceeding with the gear replacement, which is in any case needed.

The language is quite weird I'd say but the process chart is clear. The part needs to be changed, if there is color change, more parts come out of the engine and needs to be checked.

A new Service Information notice is out, attempting to clarify MSBs -34 and -35:
http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... cement.pdf

"For engines equipped with an affected HPP gear: Within the compliance times specified in Table 1 of this AD, as applicable, replace each affected HPP gear with a serviceable part in accordance with the instructions of the replacement SB."

Definition of a serviceable part:

"Serviceable part: Any HPP driving gear, eligible for installation, which is not an affected part."

So maybe the mechanic can reinstall the old gear as long as it is not a discolored, "affected" gear? And maybe they can even reinstall an affected gear, presumably to allow a ferry flight:

"This AD is revised to allow temporary installation of affected HPP gears as replacement parts."
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Juan
Aircraft Registration: N195DA
Airports: KCEU

Post by A Dopo »

Hi guys, our service center says our plane falls out of the range affected by engine serial number, but we now have to look at the serial number on the head as it may have one of the older heads on. I can't find the affected head serial numbers, and can someone tell me if this is a cylinder head number (yeah kinda dumb question but that is what the AP said to take the picture of)? In addition he said if it has a certain feature (red circle) that's not on the new heads, and if the numbers are raised, not lasered on, it is the old head and is in the recalled group. Help would be appreciated.

BTW, what is that white stuff flaking off the head? Should that be doing that? I was told it was some sort of heat shielding that was sprayed on but is no longer used?
Attachments
IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3476.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3326.JPG
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

A Dopo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:44 pm Hi guys, our service center says our plane falls out of the range affected by engine serial number, but we now have to look at the serial number on the head as it may have one of the older heads on. I can't find the affected head serial numbers, and can someone tell me if this is a cylinder head number (yeah kinda dumb question but that is what the AP said to take the picture of)? In addition he said if it has a certain feature (red circle) that's not on the new heads, and if the numbers are raised, not lasered on, it is the old head and is in the recalled group. Help would be appreciated.

BTW, what is that white stuff flaking off the head? Should that be doing that? I was told it was some sort of heat shielding that was sprayed on but is no longer used?
The new heads are the recalled group.
New heads have lasered numbers.
Old heads have raised numbers.
Attachments
Old head.JPG
New head.JPG
Heads affected.JPG
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by A Dopo »

Are you 100% sure? My guy is telling us it is the old heads. I have emailed Austro, let's see if they answer.

https://austroengine.at/uploads/pdf/SIE4016rev.0.pdf
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by A Dopo »

I emailed Austro direct and got this reply the next day. I am hoping this clairifies things.

Greetings,

We own NG 40 Serial Number 40.NC035, and we noted the EASA AD No: 2021-0203-E

We lifted the cowling and took the enclosed picture. The mechanic said that this is the number we need to take a picture of on our engine.

1-Is this the correct picture of the cylinder head number?

2-If not, what is this number?

3-If so, is my engine exempt from this recall?

Regards,

David Scott

Dear David,

Thank you for your request.

If the cylinder head is from Mercedes Benz it is not affected by MSB-E4-035. Our E4A-12-500-000 head does not show any Mercedes markings.

However, please check if MSB-E4-034 is applicable for your HPP.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best Regards

Toni Török
Technical Support/After Sales/Service

Customer Support Hotline:
+43 2622 - 23000 – 2527
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by A Dopo »

I did just catch this:

However, please check if MSB-E4-034 is applicable for your HPP.

How do I do this? I have it printed out and I guess I had better know my engine serial number. They should make this easy, not hard. The goal is to keep you safe. I wonder if these are the same people running the Covid Response. :scream:
Last edited by A Dopo on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by A Dopo »

Ok so I looked at the engine serial numbers and we are not listed! Hopefully we are in the clear.

E4-A-00523

I live by our South Carolina motto!

"While I breathe I hope"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dum_spiro_spero