5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: New CD170

Post by Boatguy »

No question that the marriage of panel avionics to certification is the marriage from hell for the owner. Diamond's only interest is selling new airplanes. It seems neither the airframe of avionics manufacturer has any reason to spend money navigating government bureaucracies for certification after the initial sale.

This is very much a 21st century problem with no clear outcome.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:43 am No question that the marriage of panel avionics to certification is the marriage from hell for the owner. Diamond's only interest is selling new airplanes. It seems neither the airframe of avionics manufacturer has any reason to spend money navigating government bureaucracies for certification after the initial sale.

This is very much a 21st century problem with no clear outcome.
I definitely agree with this but somehow I believe that this is bad advertisement for new sales and I hope someone from DAI is able to recognize that fact.
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Agree with Emir. A shame for all G1000 planes.

I'm curious why someone pursuing an STC can't approach and pay the manufacturer to go through the process for them. Could be an opportunity for the manufacturer to make a little money from doing... almost nothing?

"Hey, we did flight test on this new engine setup. Vmc was found to be 75 knots, Vyse is 87 knots, bottom of green and white tape is this and that. Can you please have a software load for amended airspeed tape and change the engine load indicators to reflect yellow arc for 93-100% power? All other parameters unchanged"

Not sure how liability would be tied to the mfg in any way. It'd be with the engine manufacturer, FAA (governing agency), and/or STC holder.

I could see Garmin or maybe a manufacturer being spooked from a plane with a different configuration flying on a GFC700 programmed for stock configurations. I'd put a large bet that the GFC700 could still fly a plane with a modest power increase just fine.

I wonder if there's any difference in autopilot settings for a CD135 plane vs a CD155 plane
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

When this question was asked before, the answer is nothing is free.
In the case of performance changes, that requires extensive data which must be submitted to the FAA. So it is not a case, of just tweaking the params in the G1000.

Tim
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

It doesn't need to be free and sure, there could be plenty of testing. I think the problem is that it's beyond expensive when it never used to be, nor does it need to be.

It's just weird that Diamond is the position of being gate keeper for anyone trying to work modifications to the G1000. It snuffed out a segment of aviation that gave consumers options to enhance or breathe new life into airframes.

Think of the engine STCs you can get in a 182 (there are at least eight different ones out there. none for G1000 planes). One of them increases redline from a derated 2400 rpm in order to get 20 more horsepower.

It'd be nice to see a similar modification on AE300s in a DA40NG to make power that's proven on AE330 powered DA62s.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

It’s all manufacturers (Cirrus, Textron, etc) with respect to certification of avionics, not just Diamond.