3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Re: SureFly Electronic Ignition

Post by MarkA »

Sandeep,

The DA40 left Slick mag is part number 4347 and is a "non-impulse mag" but it does includes a "retard breaker" (https://www.qaa.com/products/aircraft-m ... -impulse-1). The right Slick mag is part # 4370 and is also a non-impulse mag but does not include the "retard breaker" (https://www.qaa.com/products/aircraft-m ... on-impulse).

Currently only one Slick mag can be replaced with the SureFly SIM4N module. However, SureFly is currently waiting for FAA approval to allow both Slick mags to be replaced with SIM4Ns. Hopefully this will happen soon.

I also have DA40 XLS and plan to replace the left mag with a version 2 SIM4N as soon as they're available. When SureFly gets FAA approval to replace both mags with their SIM4N, I'll consider replacing the right mag as well.
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

For those with the relatively few fixed-pitch DA40's (Lycoming IO-360-A4M engine) I have confirmed these are delivered with impulse-coupled left mags (Slick 4373). The Lycoming parts manual shows this and the Diamond AMM wiring diagram is also consistent with this type of mag and reiterates the part number. Diamond does include the SlickStart wired in such a way as to further augment the mechanical impulse.

In theory, I suppose it's possible that such left mags could have subsequently been replaced with the 4347 and rewired, but I wouldn't expect anyone to have gone through the trouble.

So if you have one of these models and wish to replace the left mag just double-check before just assuming that it's non-impulse. Of course the right mag is the same non-impulse 4370 as the -M1A. A bit more complex to install than the left mag, but I know some prefer it.

There's one last super-rare possibility, which is the LASAR ignition. If you have one of these it'd be a much bigger job to install a Surefly and probably isn't worth it unless a dual-Surefly configuration is available.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by MarkA »

Version 2 of the Surefly SIM4N is available now. I just ordered one this morning direct from Surefly for my 2010 DA40 XLS.
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by MarkA »

Is the SureFly "TACH2" module needed when you replace the left SLICK mag with a SIM4N on a G1000 plane - thereby removing the SLIC module completely from the system?

My understanding is that if the G1000 gets its tach input directly off the mags, the TACH2 module is NOT needed. If it gets the tach input off the p-lead on the ignition switch, then the TACH2 is needed.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

MarkA wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:52 pm Is the SureFly "TACH2" module needed when you replace the left SLICK mag with a SIM4N on a G1000 plane - thereby removing the SLIC module completely from the system?

My understanding is that if the G1000 gets its tach input directly off the mags, the TACH2 module is NOT needed. If it gets the tach input off the p-lead on the ignition switch, then the TACH2 is needed.
AFAIK the G1000 uses the same sensor on the right mag as the VM1000. Those who have replaced the right mag with the SF simply move that sensor to the left mag. I see no reason for the TACH2 module unless BOTH mags were being replaced.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Installed the new-and-improved version today and so far, so good.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Rich wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:05 pm Installed the new-and-improved version today and so far, so good.
So you uninstalled the previous SureFly with the band-aid kits and installed the updated version? Did SureFly provide the new version free of charge?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Diamond_Dan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:08 pm
Rich wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:05 pm Installed the new-and-improved version today and so far, so good.
So you uninstalled the previous SureFly with the band-aid kits and installed the updated version? Did SureFly provide the new version free of charge?
Yes. I obtained the original unit through my mechanic and he went to bat for both myself and a C210 owner with the same problem. The obvious concern in the long term was two extra components and additional wiring to potentially be a future problem. The band-aid did work, though, which validates that they accurately identified the problem.
mysands
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sandeep
Aircraft Registration: N345DS
Airports: KEEN

Post by mysands »

Unfortunately I'm struggling a bit. We installed the Surefly new revision on 9/15. I took it out for run up on 9/18 and the EGT 3 was falling on the left mag (Surefly). It was primarily falling when I did the Lycoming Lean mag check. On the POH mag check EGT3 was flat and not rising. The engine was running rough on the Surefly.

I asked the A&P to look into it. He moved plug 3 to cylinder 1 and the problem did not follow. The spark plugs (all new ~5hrs on them UREM38S) were good and after talking to Surefly he gapped them to 22. He checked the ignition harness and that was good (also new ~5hrs). The fuel injector on Cyl 3 was clean.

Today (9/26) I took the plane out again. The logs are linked below. On the POH run ups on either mag the engine would run a tad rough but no different either side. On the Lycoming lean'd mag checks the engine would run significantly rough on the Surefly. Tried multiple different times with same results. I decided to take it up to do an inflight mag check. Takeoff was fine with good power. The EGT3 continued to fall in the inflight mag checks on the Surefly with the engine definitely running rough on Surefly but fine on both.

In retrospect, I did not climb high to be "65% or less at WOT" as Savvy suggests. But to 3k and 45% power to do the inflight mag check.

Hoping to get some ideas. A&P called Surefly and their tech support had no other ideas.

https://apps.savvyaviation.com/flights/ ... 6e216ee9fe
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

mysands wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:57 pm Unfortunately I'm struggling a bit. We installed the Surefly new revision on 9/15. I took it out for run up on 9/18 and the EGT 3 was falling on the left mag (Surefly). It was primarily falling when I did the Lycoming Lean mag check. On the POH mag check EGT3 was flat and not rising. The engine was running rough on the Surefly.

I asked the A&P to look into it. He moved plug 3 to cylinder 1 and the problem did not follow. The spark plugs (all new ~5hrs on them UREM38S) were good and after talking to Surefly he gapped them to 22. He checked the ignition harness and that was good (also new ~5hrs). The fuel injector on Cyl 3 was clean.

Today (9/26) I took the plane out again. The logs are linked below. On the POH run ups on either mag the engine would run a tad rough but no different either side. On the Lycoming lean'd mag checks the engine would run significantly rough on the Surefly. Tried multiple different times with same results. I decided to take it up to do an inflight mag check. Takeoff was fine with good power. The EGT3 continued to fall in the inflight mag checks on the Surefly with the engine definitely running rough on Surefly but fine on both.

In retrospect, I did not climb high to be "65% or less at WOT" as Savvy suggests. But to 3k and 45% power to do the inflight mag check.

Hoping to get some ideas. A&P called Surefly and their tech support had no other ideas.

https://apps.savvyaviation.com/flights/ ... 6e216ee9fe
Something to consider, though I haven’t done too much thinking on this fact: Every time the #3 SF plug fires, the #4 SF plug also fires, and conversely. Apparently there is no problem with #4 cylinder. I wonder if #4 SF lug is soaking up the spark somehow. Maybe try #3/#4 SF swap.