How much trouble is it to get a commercial rating?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Tom Davis
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N476PS
Airports: KOCW

How much trouble is it to get a commercial rating?

Post by Tom Davis »

I am 63 years old. I got my private certificate in 1975, but did not fly much after that until about 5 years ago. I bought a DA 40 and got an instrument rating. I do not want to get paid a cent for flying anyone or anything, but if a commercial rating improves my flying as much as an instrument rating, it might be worth doing if it the effort, time and cost are reasonable.

I will appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc. If this has been covered elsewhere, please send me the link.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: How much trouble is it to get a commercial rating?

Post by CFIDave »

Tom:
It's not "trouble" -- In fact, it's actually a lot of fun to get your Commercial single-engine land rating! Definitely more fun than getting your Instrument Rating (where you rarely get to look outside the cockpit ;) )

I used my DA40 to get my commercial about 6 years ago, practicing all the maneuvers like lazy 8s, eights on pylons, chandelles, etc. But the most fun (and challenge) was the 180 degree power-off spot landing, where you get to combine course adjustment, when to add flaps, and when to conduct a forward slip in order to hit a precise spot on the runway with the power pulled to idle. This maneuver in particular gives you tremendous confidence that if you ever lost your engine, you'd really be able to put your plane down in a field somewhere.

You'll still have to rent or borrow a retractable-gear plane to meet the complex aircraft experience requirement and for a small part of the checkride (requiring a trip or two around the pattern just to show the examiner that you know how to operate the gear). But you can use your DA40 to demonstrate everything else.

I got my single-engine Commercial just to become a better pilot, but later it also created the opportunity to go further and become a flight instructor.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

No doubt the additional rating will help you build your confidence and piloting skills.

An additional motivation may be that the higher ratings may also help to reduce your insurance premiums. You might want to ask your carrier if that's the case.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Tom,
I got mine in 1994 and never looked back. It was great fun (except 8's on pylons always got me sick) and the easiest of all the ratings I have earned. You should go for it.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

There's a retired physician in my hangar with an old Lake. He told me that when he was younger he would do a different rating every year, just for the learning experience: aerobatic, commercial, gyrocopter, floats, etc, you get the idea. What a great attitude. I'd say do it.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Tom, I glean from your description you may need to accumulate some more hours to qualify. The biggest annoyance in this area is getting retractable hours. I got my commercial in 1973 with 160 hours (part 141 school-GI Bill). In those days it was no big deal to get a checkout in a retractable (in my case a 260 HP Comanche) and get turned loose to build the necessary hours on your own. Nowadays it seems almost impossible to do in most parts of the country.

I got my PPL in '70 and Commercial in '73, as I said. I do know I passed both written and practical tests pretty easily but I actually have no memory of the physical act of taking the check rides. My Instrument and Instructor check rides ('74 and '76, respectively) I do recall. The Instructor check rides (yes, plural) were the only tough ones.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

I got my commercial multi first... so now I get to go back and do the commercial single add on in the DA40.

It's not a difficult rating to get - I say go for it.