G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

Post by ememic99 »

dant wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:07 pm I'm not 100% sure how integrated an 'integrated flight deck" is. Is this something where people can just swap out for piecemeal glass avionics the way that the steam gauge folks have?
That was just an advertisement when G1000 was introduced to the market. And sales speech was all about ability to swap when needed. However, in reality you are able only to swap failed components with exactly the same one, even marginally changed components don't fit (like we have case with GIA63W - only the oldest version fit to DA42 TDI).
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

If you're interested in either of these upgrades, note that the pricing posted in this thread is only offered through December 31, 2021. We've asked for 2022 pricing. If you're interested, get in touch with Diamond Support and offer to make your deposit (and be put on any waiting list). Send your email to support-canada@diamondaircraft.com <b>AND</b> upgrades@diamondaircraft.com. Include your tail number and serial number with your contact information.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

If you're interested in either of these upgrades (the Legacy WAAS or NXI Phase 1-Phase 2), note that the pricing posted at the top of this thread is only offered through December 31, 2021. We've asked for 2022 pricing.

The NXI Phase 1-Phase 2 upgrade is required to install the Phase 3 software that Diamond & Garmin plan to release next year. Phase 3 will bring several missing features to Diamond Aircraft that are already supported in other manufacturers' planes. See DAN thread on software upgrades here. It also includes information about the planned V15 SW upgrade for Legacy WAAS-enabled DA40-180 and DA42-TDI aircraft.

If you're interested, get in touch with Diamond Support and offer to make your deposit (and be put on any waiting list). Send your email to support-canada@diamondaircraft.com <b>AND</b> upgrades@diamondaircraft.com. Include your tail number and serial number with your contact information.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

No reply yet from Diamond regarding 2022 pricing for these upgrades.

If you're interested, get in touch with Diamond Support and offer to make your deposit (and be put on any waiting list). Send your email to support-canada@diamondaircraft.com <b>AND</b> upgrades@diamondaircraft.com. Include your tail number and serial number with your contact information.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I sent in an request today regarding upgrading my DA42NG to NXi, although I don't think a SB or pricing exists for such an upgrade. It looks like they auto-created a Technical Support Case for me, so we'll see what they say. I'd love to make my two GIA63W units available to somebody else by upgrading to newer GIA64 units as part of NXi phase II.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Chris wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:22 am I sent in an request today regarding upgrading my DA42NG to NXi, although I don't think a SB or pricing exists for such an upgrade. It looks like they auto-created a Technical Support Case for me, so we'll see what they say. I'd love to make my two GIA63W units available to somebody else by upgrading to newer GIA64 units as part of NXi phase II.
Hi Chris,
You likely know that your GIA63W's will technically work with the NXi displays. I confirmed that with Garmin's field service manager at Oshkosh in July. Diamond just needs to sign off on that combination, which he also mentioned should be a relatively minor effort. Is there any incremental benefit in performance or features you're expecting by purchasing the GIA64 units?
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

dmloftus wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:17 am You likely know that your GIA63W's will technically work with the NXi displays.
I knew that they were used in NXi Phase I installations. Since phase II switched from the GIA63W to the newer GIA64, I assumed it was a requirement for some reason. It's nice to hear that there might be a cheaper upgrade path (if there is any upgrade path at all for me).
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

The problem that you’ll face if you remain with NXi Phase I, is no new software releases. I guess your target configuration is supported even now but retaining GIA63W locks you somewhere around V18 or so.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by chili4way »

Chris wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:22 am I sent in a request today regarding upgrading my DA42NG to NXi, although I don't think an SB or pricing exists for such an upgrade.
You are correct that this is not presently an on-offer upgrade for the DA42NG. However, the scope and pricing should be similar to the DA62 upgrade offer from Legacy to NXI Phase 2. It's on page 5 of the 10Sep20 letter from Scott McFadzean. Because your end-state appears to match a production configuration of the DA42, there's likely no TCCA certification hurdle. It will depend on how much demand there is at whatever turns out to be the pricing for the LRUs, wiring, and labor. How's that ballpark pricing look to you?
dmloftus wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:17 am You likely know that your GIA63W's will technically work with the NXi displays. I confirmed that with Garmin's field service manager at Oshkosh in July. Diamond just needs to sign off on that combination, which he also mentioned should be a relatively minor effort. Is there any incremental benefit in performance or features you're expecting by purchasing the GIA64 units?
I would advise owners against retaining, much less upgrading to, the Phase 1 combination of NXI displays (GDU5xxx) and Legacy GIAs (GIA63W) for the reason Emir explains -- there will be no more software updates. NXI avionics need to be Phase 2 (or newer) to receive future software updates from Diamond & Garmin.

Note that Cirrus does not appear to support a hybrid Perspective-Perspective+ configuration similar to Phase 1. Perspective+ is based on the Phase 2 LRUs. I've also not seen (on COPA, for example) any Perspective to (G1000) Perspective+ (NXI) upgrade path similar to what Diamond is offering for the DA62s with Legacy G1000.
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

How long is this path going to be available? Do we know?

I'm not in a hurry to change anything as I don't really feel like I"m missing anything at the current da40 xls version/hardware. NXI sounds "neat", but not sure if it's 50k+ neat -- but it will become very neat very fast if I'm grounded without an LRU for the classic G1000 which will certainly happen eventually.