Folding bicycles

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Tim
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N395JP
Airports: KROA

Re: Folding bicycles

Post by Tim »

Tommy wrote:My wife and I both have Bromptons and couldn't be happier.
Here's the Aviation Consumer review.
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusi ... 875-1.html
Here also. We love our Brommies.
Private pilot & IR
N395JP
DA40.410
glasspilot
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N472DS
Airports: KRDU

Post by glasspilot »

For what it's worth, I can vouch for the fact that two full size road bikes fit in a DA40.
With the back seats folded down, I lay a blanket down. I remove the front wheels on my full size Trek road bike and lay the frame in the plane. Another blanket and then my wife's bike on top of that with the wheel off, another blanket and the wheels lay on top. There is still room for our bags. The DA40 is surely a versatile vehicle for two people and all their gear.
Here is a picture of a trip to the coast and one of the bikes...the other was my full size Trek.
http://cl.ly/image/01151P18000F

I've often thought we should start a fly and bike gathering on the Outer banks. Ocracoke is a great place to fly into.

Happy Landings!

John
c2mlp
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N681DS (40.611)
Airports: N14

Post by c2mlp »

I would really love to get a pair of folding bikes for outings to local restaurants and such and to ease the 3 mile walk to the boardwalk from Ocean City airport (26N). Love the Bromptons, but the price is out of my budget. In all seriousness, does anyone have one or two that they are willing to sell (It doesn't have to be a Brompton)?
pilotpaul
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Airports:

Post by pilotpaul »

c2mlp wrote:I would really love to get a pair of folding bikes for outings to local restaurants and such and to ease the 3 mile walk to the boardwalk from Ocean City airport (26N). Love the Bromptons, but the price is out of my budget. In all seriousness, does anyone have one or two that they are willing to sell (It doesn't have to be a Brompton)?
I have Dahon Mariner D7 and really like it. It weight 26 lbs so it is not too heavy. I have not tried to fit it in DA40 but two such bikes fit in Piper Archer without too much difficulty so I guess that they should fit in DA40 even easier due to a bigger door.
The best part - you can buy two new Dahons for the price of one Brompton. Dahons also have 20 inch tires instead of those funny 16 inch ones.
Mchargmg
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matthew
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports: KAPA

Post by Mchargmg »

This company is also in the US, and has a sale on now.

http://www.downtube.com/
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Airports:

Post by Erik »

I have two of those downtube bikes. Two thumbs up! They are super. Definitely get the bag for any bike since it is much easier to load in and out of an airplane (or car) without getting any grease or road dirt on the nice interior. And for my full sized road bikes, when I carry them in my car or airplane, I wrap them in a BBQ cover to keep the sharp edges and grease away from clean interiors.
Avventura07
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Mario
Aircraft Registration: N272DS
Airports: KCDW

Post by Avventura07 »

So I ended up buying two Montague Paratrooper Pro from a website called Safecastle. If anyone is interested they have great prices for "members" and getting a membership was free with a phone call. They drop-ship straight from the source in WA. They even threw in the soft cases for free.
The bikes look awesome and ride great (at least for a fairly casual rider like me).