New LED Lights

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: New LED Lights

Post by Rick »

Did any of you guys that have done the wingtip LED replacement file a 337, and if so, would you be willing to share the text with me? I don't think it should be a problem, but since Diamond hasn't published an OSB for this work yet, my A&P says he would prefer to file the exact verbage that another FSDO has already accepted, if possible.

Thanks!

Also, for future reference while I'm thinking of it, 2 connectors need to be replaced (one on each side). The new connectors are AMP part number A442.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Hi Rick -

My A&P/IA signed-off the installation (in my case AeroLEDs NSP) as a minor modification. The LEDs are TSO'd (so you need to buy the magic paper), but in his opinion the change clearly fits the minor mod definition. The only "custom" part of the job is a trivial bracket for lightning conductivity.

FYI, here is a 2014 AOPA article by Jeff Simon on this topic: link.
Jeff Simon wrote:It is the responsibility of the installer to determine whether an alteration is minor or major based on the federal aviation regulations. This makes choosing a good shop to do the alteration very important. There are a lot of excellent mechanics out there who understand the regulations, can help you navigate the process, and can get your alteration done in a safe and legal manner. Unfortunately, there are also quite a few shops out there who follow the “No STC = No Alteration” philosophy. This approach has no basis in the regulations, so steer clear of anyone not willing to evaluate your proposed alteration on its own merits.
and
Jeff Simon wrote:According to 14 CFR 21.93, “A ‘minor change’ is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are ‘major changes’ (except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section).”
Chris
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

BTW, here is a link to a thread with detailed pics from my installation: link.

For some reason the link in an earlier post in this thread no longer works. :scratch:

Chris
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I just did my Orion conversion. Per Diamond it's acceptable to provide a ground wire from the brackets at the outboard wing ribs to the backplates of the Orions. No need for the custom bracket. The original brackets were entirely removed.

All told it shaved 3.88 lbs. from the empty weight, maybe 1 inch off the wingspan and moved the empty CG .020 in. forward. And the current draw of the strobes is now almost undetectable on the ammeter.

Some operational changes:
1. The LED strobes don't give that double-flash the gas-discharge lamps did. Just a single flash. They are synchronized the same, though.
2. The LED strobes don't produce much of a flash in the vertical direction, mostly fore, aft, and side.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

"... moved the empty CG .020 in. forward. ..." :)

Rich, what was the approx cost of the conversion?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Lou wrote:"... moved the empty CG .020 in. forward. ..." :)

Rich, what was the approx cost of the conversion?
The units cost me $1,040, plus 7 hours labor. Reworking connectors, removing the old lights, power supplies and fabricate and install ground wiring on both sides. There is also some paperwork involved, including recalculation and documentation of W&B. Be sure you get the current numbers in the mechanic's hands from which to do the recalculation properly.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5