What comes after a DA40?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Erik
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: What comes after a DA40?

Post by Erik »

Antoine wrote:Hi Erik

Awesome!!! More pics please :-)
A few more incl a trip to Montana and another to Prince Edward Island - sunset over Maine.
Attachments
IMG_2239.jpg
IMG_2657.jpg
IMG_1978.jpg
IMG_1976.jpg
IMG_1973.jpg
IMG_2451.jpg
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Stunning aircraft.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Erik wrote:This is what I got almost 10 years ago upon selling my 2003 DA40. This is a Mooney M20K rocket. I got a new paint job almost a year ago, and new leather interior - and also a new prop about 3 years ago.

They say Mooneys are hard to land, and like to float and porpoise and all that, and perhaps its true, but a relatively slick DA40 and its low wing is a good stepping stone for the flight characteristics of the M20 line. That said, it is a much faster airplane in all phases of flight so you need to be well trained and ready for the transition.
Erik,
Great looking plane. I flew a Mooney Ovation for a while and felt that it was very difficult to land well. Clearly, I am not as well accomplished pilot. Congratulations and enjoy.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Erik wrote:They say Mooneys are hard to land, and like to float and porpoise and all that, and perhaps its true, but a relatively slick DA40 and its low wing is a good stepping stone for the flight characteristics of the M20 line. That said, it is a much faster airplane in all phases of flight so you need to be well trained and ready for the transition.
I sort of did the reverse. Rented an M20J for 6 years before I bought my DA40. Maybe that's why my landings are so great... ;)
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Steve wrote:
Erik wrote:They say Mooneys are hard to land, and like to float and porpoise and all that, and perhaps its true, but a relatively slick DA40 and its low wing is a good stepping stone for the flight characteristics of the M20 line. That said, it is a much faster airplane in all phases of flight so you need to be well trained and ready for the transition.
I sort of did the reverse. Rented an M20J for 6 years before I bought my DA40. Maybe that's why my landings are so great... ;)
I bet it is! What I was saying is that a DA40 has similar characteristics as a M20 but nonetheless a more forgiving version.
Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Erik »

carym wrote:
Erik wrote:This is what I got almost 10 years ago upon selling my 2003 DA40. This is a Mooney M20K rocket. I got a new paint job almost a year ago, and new leather interior - and also a new prop about 3 years ago.

They say Mooneys are hard to land, and like to float and porpoise and all that, and perhaps its true, but a relatively slick DA40 and its low wing is a good stepping stone for the flight characteristics of the M20 line. That said, it is a much faster airplane in all phases of flight so you need to be well trained and ready for the transition.
Erik,
Great looking plane. I flew a Mooney Ovation for a while and felt that it was very difficult to land well. Clearly, I am not as well accomplished pilot. Congratulations and enjoy.
Thanks - well the speed and power were quite a handful at first. I remember during transition training maybe 3 hrs in...thinking "holy moly what did I do? Why did I buy this thing?!!!" crossing my mind more than once wondering if I made a mistake.

But now with about 1000hrs of Mooney rocket time under my belt I am completely used to it and it fits like an old glove. Landings, and all phases of flight.
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Erik wrote: But now with about 1000hrs of Mooney rocket time under my belt I am completely used to it and it fits like an old glove. Landings, and all phases of flight.
:D this is so true. I like to say that at some point the wings become one's own... makes me wonder what this AOA indicator business is all about...

Why do you have VGs on your wings? First time I see them on a Mooney
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

Antoine wrote:
Erik wrote: But now with about 1000hrs of Mooney rocket time under my belt I am completely used to it and it fits like an old glove. Landings, and all phases of flight.
:D this is so true. I like to say that at some point the wings become one's own... makes me wonder what this AOA indicator business is all about...

Thank s for the pics, can we see the interiror too? :D

Erik
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Erik »

Antoine wrote:
Antoine wrote:

Thank s for the pics, can we see the interiror too? :D

Actually...I have an AOA. :-) But I swear I can feel AOA ... in the seat of my pants.

At some point flying just one airplane eventually it starts feeling like wearing an airplane like suiting up in hockey gear or something as a very familiar feeling.

I got the VGs added when I first purchased the airplane because I was intimidated by the faster landing speeds and it does slow down the stall speed measurably, plus the controls are more crisp near stall. I figure slower landing speeds means more safe. Some say they rob some cruise speed and some say they do not. But I already have TKS and I figure whatever speed the TKS has already stolen there is not a lot more to steel with the VGs if the flow is already tripped. I dunno...I had the airplane repainted finished in April - at that time I had kicked around taking off my training wheels (the VGs) and I decided no they are good.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

I went the experimental route and built an RV-7A. Also building an RV-10, which really is the replacement for the DA-40.

The -7 is a lot of fun and is a greenhouse like the DA-20 and 40.
Attachments
uAQfP0FtQXmcsfZwIvTylw.jpeg
uAQfP0FtQXmcsfZwIvTylw.jpeg (32.84 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
IMG_3145.jpeg
IMG_3145.jpeg (33.69 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
IMG_3129.jpeg
IMG_3129.jpeg (29.35 KiB) Viewed 2010 times