What comes after a DA40?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: What comes after a DA40?

Post by TimS »

If you make on BT, you will see my username over there also as "Timothy Spear"

Tim
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

TimS wrote:If you make on BT, you will see my username over there also as "Timothy Spear"

Tim
Thanks Tim. I signed up for BT about a year ago when I started looking, but so far have only been lurking and not writing. Lot's of useful info on the Bo at that site.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Personally, I would join Beechtalk and ask some questions before signing for the new plane. But I'm overly cautious and don't know enough about mechanical things.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

I heard that there was a DA42 in queue for re-engining at London with your name on it (literally).

Just sayin...

I've only flown a couple dozen types over the course of 23,000 hours or so in military, commercial, and general aviation, but in my limited experience the DA42 is far and away the easiest to fly. It spikes higher than any other on the capability/cost curve and is my choice to fly for as long as my health allows.

Toss a couple of Austros or CD-155s on your old bird and you are within 10 knots or so of a Bo flying at the same altitude with the same load, but at a significantly lower fuel cost per mile.

Yeah, I get that insurance and maintenance costs factor in, but the serene comfort, quiet, and ease of the DA42 have value as well.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

Cary's wife (and his heart) won't allow him to get another Diamond. He was treated too poorly by the company. I'd argue that the company is no longer the same company, with Chinese owner and Peter M. dismissed, but I don't like to argue.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

ultraturtle wrote:I heard that there was a DA42 in queue for re-engining at London with your name on it (literally).

Just sayin...

I've only flown a couple dozen types over the course of 23,000 hours or so in military, commercial, and general aviation, but in my limited experience the DA42 is far and away the easiest to fly. It spikes higher than any other on the capability/cost curve and is my choice to fly for as long as my health allows.

Toss a couple of Austros or CD-155s on your old bird and you are within 10 knots or so of a Bo flying at the same altitude with the same load, but at a significantly lower fuel cost per mile.

Yeah, I get that insurance and maintenance costs factor in, but the serene comfort, quiet, and ease of the DA42 have value as well.
First, and foremost, I loved my DA42. It took us to all 4 corners of the continental US and through out Alaska as well. What I did not love was the way we were treated by Diamond (and there are many great people at Diamond Canada). The names that we were called by Diamond just can't be repeated here, it was worse than ugly. As Colin pointed out my wife put her foot down on keeping and/or buying another Diamond. Just to give another example of how, as an early buyer of the DA42 Diamond treated us, was the quote for an upgrade to WAAS. The G1000 WAAS came out soon after our purchase of the Twin Star. When asked how much to upgrade to WAAS I was quoted approximately $250,000 (Diamond would not upgrade to WAAS without changing to the NG engine and adding Garmin autopilot). I could tell you other things that Diamond did to us early DA42 buyers that would make you scratch your head and wonder "why".

To get my old plane back with new engines (and still no WAAS or ADS-B) is about 3-4x the cost of the Bo. Fuel cost/mile is an insignificant factor in owning the plane.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Colin »

Yup. When I start flying a little less I might switch over to a TwinBo (you should take a peek, Cary). The cost-per-hour will matter a lot less and I will enjoy flying something with some history.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

Colin wrote:Yup. When I start flying a little less I might switch over to a TwinBo (you should take a peek, Cary). The cost-per-hour will matter a lot less and I will enjoy flying something with some history.
As you know, before I had my DA42 I owned a 1958 C310 (yes, that's the same model and year as Sky King's). There was a great feeling when landing at a fly-in and pilots asking about this historical plane. However, I don't remember having an annual under $7K in any of the 7+ years I owned her (including the prop strike I had while in annual :( )
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

It looks like I will have to change my info. I bit the bullet and paid way too much for this plane, but it is now mine. It is old (like me) but flies well. The turbonormalized IO-550 engine let the plane fly at 187 KTAS at 10,000 feet on a hot summer day in Houston. Here is one picture of this plane. I know it does not look like a Diamond, but hopefully it will be as much fun to fly as my DA42.
Attachments
file.jpg
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Nice Cary, I always liked the look of most V-Tails.

Tim