Garmin G-1000 ADS-B solution?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Garmin G-1000 ADS-B solution?

Post by krellis »

Is this going to be the ADS-B solution G-1000 owners have been waiting for? Is so, probably good news for Diamond owners.

http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-releas ... ansponders
mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

Re: Garmin G-1000 ADS-B solution?

Post by mdieter »

Ok, so now I know I want a GTX-345R to go with my G1000, but the million dollar question is will my DA40 will be one of the "select G1000-equipped aircraft" ? I believe this change will require an update to the G1000 software. Does Diamond have to do something, or pay something to make this available ?
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by krellis »

mdieter wrote:Ok, so now I know I want a GTX-345R to go with my G1000, but the million dollar question is will my DA40 will be one of the "select G1000-equipped aircraft" ? I believe this change will require an update to the G1000 software. Does Diamond have to do something, or pay something to make this available ?
Based on the email I just received, I think the answer to your questions are yes and yes.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by krellis »

mdieter wrote:Ok, so now I know I want a GTX-345R to go with my G1000, but the million dollar question is will my DA40 will be one of the "select G1000-equipped aircraft" ? I believe this change will require an update to the G1000 software. Does Diamond have to do something, or pay something to make this available ?
Based on the email I just received, I think the answer to your questions are yes and yes.

And also based on my conversation with Mr. Maurer, the XLT is still in production.
Attachments
DA40XLT.PDF
(199.75 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
2016 Press Release ADSB FINAL .pdf
(292.38 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
rwtucker
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Post by rwtucker »

This excerpt from the Garmin website lists pricing but it is not clear if those of us who already have WAAS would purchase the non-WAAS or the WAAS version. It would seem like the former . . .but.
The GTX 345 and GTX 335 transponders have received the FAA’s Technical Standard Order (TSO) authorization and is expected to receive supplemental type certification (STC) later this month for installation in hundreds of aircraft makes and models. European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) validation is expected later this year. The GTX 345 transponder provides ADS-B In/Out capabilities and is available with and without WAAS for a list price of $5,795* and $4,995* respectively. The GTX 335 ADS-B Out transponder is available with WAAS for $3,795* and without WAAS for $2,995*. Remote-mount derivatives of the GTX 345/335 share pricing equivalent to the panel-mount transponders. For additional information regarding the industry’s most comprehensive line of ADS-B solutions, visit: http://www.garmin.com/ads-b.
linzhiming
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wolfgang
Aircraft Registration: N799DS
Airports: EGLK

Post by linzhiming »

krellis wrote:And also based on my conversation with Mr. Maurer, the XLT is still in production.
It looks as if the DA40 XLT has reappeared on the website as well: http://www.diamondaircraft.com/aircraft/da40-xlt/

Wolfgang
DavidS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Airports: KHEF

Post by DavidS »

Well, at least we have something now.

Interesting though - looks like they (garmin) set the stand to force WAAS owners to hand over all of our money. Where's the GTX33 ES upgrade gone... ($1200)
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

If the crucial details (e.g., software revisions) work out, this could be a fantastic ADS-B solution, especially for non-WAAS aircraft. For WAAS aircraft, this provides a complete in/out 1090 solution with no additional antennas or extra weight.

So far the best information that I have found is a thread on BeechTalk (link), featuring interactive Q&A with the tech supervisor at Garmin (Trek Lawler). Here are a couple of key samples:
Q: Can you address the upgrade path for WAAS equipped G36 aircraft?

A: yes, this is being handled as a separate STC for the G1000 family. it will basically replace the GTX 33 you have in the system, it will require a new rack, backplate and connector with the addition of a computer dongle. Garmin will then have a loader card that will perform the manual configuration of the system. the installer will then connect the laptop computer to the GTX 345 and configure it.
Now the key's, you have to have a minimum of GDU software 11.12, and GIA 6.10 for a WAAS enabled system, or GDU software 8.10, and GIA 5.42. so you will need to verify this before any install/update can be completed.
Q: Assuming the correct software level, will the hardware be available directly from Garmin or will it be necessary to involve Textron?

A: there should be no involvement from the OEM for any of this. it is all handled as a third party STC. everything will be able to be purchased from your dealer from Garmin.
This update appears to be specifically designed to minimize the involvement of the OEMs. :thumbsup:

Chris
Steven
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steven
Aircraft Registration: N239DS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Steven »

Based on this article, it seems that displaying ADSB-IN information will require a software update from the aircraft manufacturer. I suspect this will be the sticky issue.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... ansponders

That aside, at least there seems to be a well-defined cost for the solution for ADSB-IN/OUT for WAAS/Non-WAAS G1000 aircraft. Well, I guess one also has to pay for installation.
HPNAviator
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Airports: KHPN

Post by HPNAviator »

These new offerings look quite compelling and simplify the Garmin ADS-B solutions. My flying buddy has Connext Flight Stream in his Columbia and it is really a great product. These offerings have Connext Flight Stream built in that includes remote ADHRS for Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight.