BasicMed and Diamond

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

BasicMed and Diamond

Post by carym »

Now that BasicMed looks like it has really happened, I will be back to flying again after May 1. FWIW, flying a LSA doesn't work for any travel as I see the trucks on the roads below me going faster than I can go in a C162 :(

However, I won't be able to fly that beautiful new DA62 sitting next to my DA42, since it is certificated for 7 seats and we are limited to 6 seat airplanes.
IMG_0311.JPG
Incidentally, Diamond flew this plane to our airport (KTYQ) to bring my plane back to the factory for sale.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
DavidS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KHEF

Re: BasicMed and Diamond

Post by DavidS »

carym wrote:However, I won't be able to fly that beautiful new DA62 sitting next to my DA42, since it is certificated for 7 seats and we are limited to 6 seat airplanes.
I bet anyone that wanted a seat removed could have that done. It's not unheard of.

Are you going to retrieve your 42?
AlexanderBingham
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alexander
Aircraft Registration: N505JF
Airports:

Post by AlexanderBingham »

My understanding is that if the plane was certified with 7 seats, removing one or more seats does make it qualified for BasicMed. The real question is did Diamond, only certify the 7 seat variant in the US? Or would they consider some options to certify a six seat version, lets face it the middle seat sucks on all planes :). Otherwise, a DA62 isn't useful if you want to fly under BasicMed.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I believe Alexander is correct. The Final Rule can be found here. The section in question is on page 22:
As previously discussed, section 2307(j) of FESSA requires the covered aircraft to be authorized to carry no more than six occupants. While section 2307(j) and section 2307(a)(8)(A) may appear to conflict, the FAA notes that it interprets the terms “occupants” and “passengers” differently. The term “occupants” includes all persons onboard an aircraft including any required flightcrew members. A flightcrew member is required if he or she is required by type certification of the aircraft or by regulation. The term “passengers” does not include required flight crewmembers. Therefore, under this rule, a covered aircraft may be authorized to carry up to 6 occupants (including any required flight crewmembers) and may be operated with up to five passengers on board. For example, a person may operate an aircraft type certificated for one pilot flightcrew member under this rule with up to five additional occupants on board. An aircraft type certificated for two pilot flightcrew members may be operated under this rule with up to four additional occupants on board. An occupant in the aircraft (other than the pilot operating under this rule) may be a passenger, a required pilot flightcrew member (if the aircraft is type certificated for more than one pilot or if the regulations require more than one pilot), or a flight instructor (if the flight is a training operation).
Maybe Diamond will certify a "6-occupant" version of the DA62?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

DavidS wrote:
I bet anyone that wanted a seat removed could have that done. It's not unheard of.

Are you going to retrieve your 42?
According to the FAQ's on the AOPA web site, removing a seat (or more) from a plane that is certified for more than 6 seats will NOT allow you to fly it under BasicMed.

Even though I am still making the loan payments on the DA42, it belongs to Diamond until it is sold. Since it has about 900 hours on original 1.7 engines, it will need new engines of some sort to be put into the plane.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I would think that since Diamond has published a Service Bulletin

http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... Config.pdf

describing how to transition a 7-seat DA62 to a 5-seater by converting the rear seat area to a large baggage area with its own published weight and balance information, the plane is legitimately also a 5-seater and would qualify for BasicMed. The DA62 is also sold new as a 5-seater.

It's not like taking an airliner and removing all but 6 seats, because you still have to come under the 6000 lb weight limit for BasicMed. But the FAA may decide otherwise...
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I found this buried on page 19:
The FAA recognizes that changes could be made to an aircraft’s type design. For example, an aircraft type certificated to carry more than 6 occupants may be altered to carry 6 or less occupants. In order to make such a change, that aircraft would have to obtain a new design approval, such as an STC or an ATC. So long as an aircraft’s design approval (i.e., TC, STC, or ATC) authorizes the aircraft to carry no more than 6 occupants, that aircraft would meet the requirement of section 2307(j)(1).
So I guess it just depends on what paperwork Diamond issues when you buy the 5-seat version. Maybe it's not a problem after all...
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
AlexanderBingham
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alexander
Aircraft Registration: N505JF
Airports:

Post by AlexanderBingham »

Rick,

That was my thoughts. I didn't think Diamond did the paperwork for the 5 seat version for the US. Would be very sweet if they kept the W&B increase of the 7 seater if they can make it a legal 5 seater for basic med. They lowered the 5 seater W&B to fit inside some of the financial constraints of using heavier planes in Europe.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

carym wrote:Now that BasicMed looks like it has really happened, I will be back to flying again after May 1. FWIW, flying a LSA doesn't work for any travel as I see the trucks on the roads below me going faster than I can go in a C162 :(
Cary, that is great news! As someone who was grounded medically for almost a year in 1998, I can imagine how great it will be for you to be "Up" again. Congratulations.

Steve
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

The DA62 that I am a few feet from is a five seater. Otherwise I think there is nearly no luggage space. I understand the owner regularly flies from Long Beach to Philadelphia. He has a jet, but enjoys his DA62. (I think he has a DC-3 as well.)

It will be great to have you back in the sky no matter what you are in, Cary. (I feel like I got a million dollar airplane for $350k with the DA42 I found.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)