uAvionix Scout and Stratux ADS-B receivers

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Re: uAvionix Scout and Stratux ADS-B receivers

Post by smoss »

PIREP on Scout--went flying today with it, from North Las Vegas to Kingman, AZ, 7,500 MSL there, 8,500 MSL back. The info is overwhelming! Within the Las Vegas 30 NM mode C ring the tower reception was continuous, with a minimum of 1, max of 3 towers showing (presumably all from other aircraft activating the towers). Over Nellis AFB region, ADS-B showed multiple military aircraft (2 fighters, 1 cargo) operating very near me, which TCAS did NOT show (was talking with ATC, of course, as that is Bravo airspace). In hindsight, I don't think the military planes ever show on my TCAS. The ADS-B made it really easy to pick spot the traffic calls. Playing with "hide distant traffic" setting, it is a toss-up--showing the distant stuff shows where all the jets are on the approach and departure paths into McCarran, which is helpful to understand routing and preempt close calls, but the number of targets on your map is HUGE, and very cluttered, almost too much to interpret. Hiding distant traffic you lose all the big picture flow, but actually notice the relevant planes easier. With the ADS-B, if you have a target on ForeFlight, it shows you tail #, you can tap on it and it shows you speed and distance from you, along with a track vector on the map--all much more helpful than the TCAS 3 second warning before head-on traffic runs into you. On the way to Kingman, tower reception was pretty continuous until pretty low on approach to Kingman. Interesting, with the ADS-B, even the planes not equipped with ADS-B are tagged with tail# now, I assume it uses transponder serial# registration or something (Flight Aware now also shows most flights of mine even when I never talk with anyone or get a discrete squak). So every target on my map in ForeFlight in Las Vegas, GA planes and commercial, was tagged with a tail#. Departing from Kingman, there was another plane departing maybe 5 minutes after me which briefly showed on TCAS, but never showed on ADS-B (don't recall if showed tower reception or not). Going back into Las Vegas, once at altitude, the tower reception was again continuous, and seeing all the jet traffic on the map really made me appreciate the vectoring I was getting through Bravo (none of which showed up on TCAS except the really close ones). Overall, the gizmo was AMAZING for $199!!! It is a darn shame we can't get it to show up on the G1000.
A few negatives: Foreflight target colors are pretty hard to see on a sectional view, they need to add color options, and second, the actual gizmo gets really hot from operating, not sure if it will crump when it's actually hot out, plastered in direct sunlight.
Steve
DA40 XL
Tom Davis
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tom
Aircraft Registration: N476PS
Airports: KOCW

Post by Tom Davis »

jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

Hi Tom -
I have a Stratux receiver......works well except the AHRS feature will not work in Foreflight.
AHRS works well on included web based app and also using iFlyGPS app.
Too bad Foreflight won't allow the AHRS to work for attitude info in their app.
John
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I have a Stratux receiver as well. You can order the all parts and software from Stratux (on Amazon) and assemble it yourself (it's easy, and under $100), or you can order the pre-assembled unit. I'm using it with the Avare app on an 8" Android tablet. I love Avare - it does everything I need - flight plans, moving map, charts, weather, approach plates, etc. with updates each month. Oh, and it's all free - the App, the updates, all the data. It interfaces nicely with the Stratux (via Wi-Fi) and shows ADS-B traffic and weather on the moving map, with tail/flight numbers. I also added the Stratux AHRS card to my box, but I haven't used it yet. There is a setup procedure to "level" the AHRS unit from the Avare App, but I just haven't done it yet, so I can't comment on how well the AHRS works.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
jb642DA
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2691Y
Airports: KPTK KDTW

Post by jb642DA »

I just received a "Cyber Monday" email from them - about $40 less than I payed a month ago for the same device and it now includes the mount and hard carrying case! Darn! (You still need to purchase a battery and USB/mini USB connection cord)

https://iflygps.us2.list-manage.com/tra ... 839fff4b39

Stratux Gift Set - $179.99
Give the gift that keeps giving!
The Stratux gift pack includes a Stratux RXWX with AHRS, Suction Mount and Stratux Carry Case
Stratux RXWX is shipped fully assembled and tested; just power it up and fly.
Looking!
1980 414A - N2691Y (sold)
DA62 - N100DA 62.078 (sold)
DA42TDi - N742SA 42.AC112 (sold)
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

I bought the Stratux kit this week. Aside from having to reimage the Micro-SD, everything went together in minutes and it works flawlessly. The AHRS now works with Foreflight - the issue was fixed in FF ver 10.0.