Garbage in - Garbage out

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Garbage in - Garbage out

Post by Rich »

In any large data set, especially those where data is supplied by human beings, there are bound to be various errors. In statistical use of large sample sizes, these typically introduce anomalies that are usually not a large influence on the outcome. In smaller sample sizes they make the analysis less than credible. When you find one of these they look downright stupid. In the NTSB accident database witness the case of N2200T. This was a fatal accident about a week ago. It'll pop up right now if you look at fatal accidents involving aircraft made by Piper (you know, builder of Cherokees, Comanches, etc.).

But in reality this is a kit-built TITAN TORNADO II D LSA that happened to have been built by a guy named Paul Piper. I've noticed this about a lot of amateur-built aircraft, BTW, where it can be difficult to search this database by aircraft make/model because rather than show something as being, for example, a Lancair, oftentimes the maker is listed as the person that assembled the kit. This particular example just happens to be a guy with the same last name as an actual aircraft manufacturer.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Joey
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Re: Garbage in - Garbage out

Post by Joey »

In the US Experimental-Amateur Built world, the "Manufacturer" is the person who built it. So even though you built a Van RV whatever, the builder is listed as the manufacturer, not Vans.
Joey Ritchie
DA40 XLS 40.940
JGG Williamsburg VA
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Re: Garbage in - Garbage out

Post by krellis »

Joey wrote:In the US Experimental-Amateur Built world, the "Manufacturer" is the person who built it. So even though you built a Van RV whatever, the builder is listed as the manufacturer, not Vans.
Precisely. My RV-7A is registered as an "Ellis RV-7A". I will forever be the manufacturer of record. It's why the potential liability follows you even if you sell the airplane. Some folks with substantial means have scrapped their homebuilts rather than take the risk of being sued. I'll give mine to my kids.