Storm Window Hinge Issue

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

SoCalCFI
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Ryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N661DS
Airports: KEMT

Storm Window Hinge Issue

Post by SoCalCFI »

So my DA40's Storm window hinges keep breaking approximately every 6 months or so. A little background information on the aircraft, it is a flight school aircraft and is used almost daily and is based in Southern California. Has anyone else had this issue? If so how do you solve this issue of them becoming week so fast or is this just an issue that flight school airplanes have to live with? Thank You.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Storm Window Hinge Issue

Post by Rick »

Is it both windows (pilot and copilot), or is it always just one side? And do you mean the hinge actually breaks, or is it the plastic latch that holds the window closed?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Re: Storm Window Hinge Issue

Post by Karl »

We had a similar problem at the flight school.
I can't remember exactly what it was but I remember it was to do with opening and closing the canopy with the storm windows open. I think there is a possibility of the storm window to catch on something if the canopy is lowered with the storm window open.
For many years now we have taught students to makes sure that the storm window is closed before opening and closing the canopy, this has significantly reduced the hinge failures.