Flight Planning in the US/Canada

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dgger
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: OEFGM
Airports: EDLN

Re: Flight Planning in the US/Canada

Post by dgger »

Wilfried wrote:I'll be crossing the North Atlantic this summer from Europe. I am flying for the first time in North America. Here in Europe I use autorouter.aero, but I just realized that my favourite flight planing tool ends at the Canadian East Border and is not able to find CYFB...
Autorouter does take you all the way to Canada, if you want it to. Done that. You need to enable „Worldwide Coverage“ in your settings. You will not get automatic routing, but given that you will fly great circle routes anyhow, you may want to enter them manually anyhow. The good news here is, that you can use the phantastic GRAMET WX no matter, where you happen to be in this world. (If you get an occasional outage, you can still head over to OGIMET and get essentially the same thing).

You could ask Autorouter support to enable AFTN privileges for you. If you have them, you can manually add AFTN addresses as required by the country/FIR you are flying in or through. (I have previously used Autorouter to file VFR FPLs in Botswana ;)).

Once in the North America you may find ForeFlight to be a better choice as flight planning is way more simple compared to Europe. You could look out for deals as Foreflight is coming to Europe this summer. They might have some introductory package deals.
Wilfried
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wilfried
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OEFSJ
Airports: EDMA

Re: Flight Planning in the US/Canada

Post by Wilfried »

Dear dgger,

done that in the setting section. Never seen the “worldwide” switch. The strategy now is to use autorouter until the Canadian Border.

I signed up for fltplan.com. Great tool. Everyting looks very easy. Nothing to compare in Europe.

Foreflight is already on my iPad now. Would need to do some “sofa flying” to get familiar with.
42.N020