Fuel cards for AvGas

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Localizer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Yuri
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N779US
Airports: KGMU

Fuel cards for AvGas

Post by Localizer »

Hi all!
Do you use any fuel cards for AvGas? If you do, what kind? Are there any?
We've been using our regular Amex which gets us points, but does not offer any fuel discounts. When at a class B airport, I may start coughing when I learn what I need to pay for a gallon of AvGas, so sometimes a good solution is to fly 15 minutes to a field nearby. But, this is not always an options, so I wonder if there is anything for for AvGas burning airplanes.
DA40 40.779
RV-10 build is in progress.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Re: Fuel cards for AvGas

Post by blsewardjr »

In 2016 Aviation Consumer reported that the only avgas discount fuel card is Airboss, which is connected to the Airnav website. According to the article, the card (which cost around $40), paid for itself if you bought more than 1000 gallons a year. The card is not useable at your home field. Given that the card would not be useful to me.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I have a semi-discount card. That is, at my home airport (S39) they offer a 15-cent discount for using Self Serve and a prepay card they provide. Current price to me: $4.35.

I also had one at my previous base (PAE), though that didn't require pre-pay. Similar discount.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

I generally use AirNav.com to find the best fuel prices. It's amazing how different they can be at airports that really are no more than a few minutes flight away from each other.

OTOH, when I was recently at Signature at KMMU where avgas was close to $7/gal I asked if there was a discount on tie-down if I purchased fuel. I was told that they would knock off $49 from my bill if I purchased 7 gallons of fuel. Essentially, the 7 gallons were free, so it pays to ask.
Localizer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Yuri
Aircraft Registration: N779US
Airports: KGMU

Post by Localizer »

Thank you all for your comments.
Oh, yes, it is always pays to research fuel prices and talk to people at big FBOs. Is it in FAR or AIM, where it goes something like this: "what does a pilot need to know about before flight?"; answer: "everything".
So after talking to FBO, I sometimes get one or the other fee reduced or waived, or I get discounts on fuel.
DA40 40.779
RV-10 build is in progress.