How to loose your cabin door or I learned about flying from that...

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Wilfried
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wilfried
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OEFSJ
Airports: EDMA

How to loose your cabin door or I learned about flying from that...

Post by Wilfried »

I really thought about sharing this experience here in the forum, but finally decided to do so. I am always keen on learning from mistakes that others made by NTSB incident reports, from “I learned about flying from that…” or other sources. So why not sharing my “incident”, although it is a little bit embarrassing.

We were heading back in our DA42 from Oshkosh to Germany. For the first day of our trip back we planned 1.500NM with stops in Gore Bay, La Grand Riviere and Iqaluit. We were in good mood, but tired when we approached Iqaluit in the evening hours. We wanted to make an overnight stop and were happy that we got the last hotel rooms, of which Iqaluit has not many to offer.

We were approaching Iqaluit and expectedly went IMC during the approach. Unexpectedly, we found ourselves in moderate turbulence that shook us through during the approach. During turbulence the door open warning on the PFD signaled DOOR OPEN, we checked both doors visually, touched the latches, did not find anything, tightened the seat belts and finally managed to land safely.

Next day, we got up early, since we wanted to make it until Reykjavik. We did a careful outside check, put our immersion suits on and started the engines to warm up. The DOOR OPEN warning went on again, but both of us thought about yesterday and did not pay special attention. It was our 50+ flight hour on this trip within the last 7 days. We did the checklist by “standard flow” and visual check in the cabin starting with the middle console, panel from right to left and ending with the main switch.

After taxi and departure clearance we made a backtrack on RWY34 and took off. During the climb out I noticed that it was loud in the cabin and checked the power switch of my noise cancellation headphones, but found them to be switched on. I looked back over my left shoulder and realized that the cabin door was open. I told my co-pilot friend “the cabin door is open”. He looked at the latch and turned back. He is a hero in acrobatic flying in his Extra 300 and Bücker-Jungmann, has a much longer track record than me in flying, but is not very familiar with a DA42. While he was turning back, I remembered that the POH says “reland and close” in this case. So I started to tell him that, but only uttered the first few words. He started trying to close the door during flight. All of a sudden, the cabin door was torn off with a blast and it became loud and cold in the cabin. Happily the door did not hit the structure of the plane. I remembered FLY THE AIRPLANE! and was totally focused on controls, speed and attitude. We declared an emergency and landed the plane safely.

On the ground, after collecting our minds, and some phone calls, we were happy to hear that Diamond in Ontario had the right door on stock for us, ready for immediate shipping. Staff was very supportive and quick. The door arrived next day with FirstAir, we were ready to go next day and flew to Reykjavik. We also found the old one in by helicopter. It will get a special place in my garage as an expensive souvenir…

So what went wrong? I believe there is often not only one reason when things go wrong (“Swiss Cheese Model”)
Mistake no. 1 - I think is not using the Checklist (active failure)
Mistake no. 2 - not paying attention to the door open warning (latent failure).
Mistake no. 3 - not being short and precise in emergency situations “do not touch the door, we have to reland…” (active failure)

So, that was my story and I hope that others might learn from it.
42.N020
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: How to loose your cabin door or I learned about flying from that...

Post by TimS »

I think you should submit that to the usual suspect magazines, Flying, AOPA, EAA Sport Aviation....
Well written, and definitely a good lesson.

Tim
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I check the FAA accident/incident website with some regularity. Having this door fly off is far from an unusual occurrence, showing up several times a year. But you won't find it in the NTSB site because it has so far always been a benign event. The door flies off without causing any more serious consequences.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rich wrote:I check the FAA accident/incident website with some regularity. Having this door fly off is far from an unusual occurrence, showing up several times a year. But you won't find it in the NTSB site because it has so far always been a benign event. The door flies off without causing any more serious consequences.
Yes, those aerodynamicists at Diamond designed the rear hatch with just the right airfoil to fly it over the tail...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Inquiring minds need to know: Did the gas strut go with the door or stay with the airplane :scratch: ?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Steve wrote:
Rich wrote:I check the FAA accident/incident website with some regularity. Having this door fly off is far from an unusual occurrence, showing up several times a year. But you won't find it in the NTSB site because it has so far always been a benign event. The door flies off without causing any more serious consequences.
Yes, those aerodynamicists at Diamond designed the rear hatch with just the right airfoil to fly it over the tail...
Was the engineer who did so given a royalty from the part sales?

Tim (could not resist)
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Wilfried, nice flying and thanks for sharing the story. Every mistake shared is a bunch of pilots learning a lesson.

My rear hatch was closed by my mechanic at Long Bach. Halfway back home to Santa Monica (a ten minute flight) the Door Open warning chimed. I glanced back and saw that the latch was in the open position, but that the safety was keeping it in the closed (but ajar) position. I just continued on and landed. On the ground I checked the operation of the latch and it all seemed good. Something strange must have happened when he closed it.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Years ago I also had the rear door of our DA40 open in flight (for an unknown reason), caught only by the red safety latch. We were right above an airport so we landed and THEN closed the door, since I had previously read not to attempt to close the rear door in flight.

It never happened again.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

One thing I routinely do is make sure that safety catch is properly seated. In the past, the button one pushes from the outside would stick, holding the catch open and potentially rendering it inoperative. Less of a problem these days. I think enough wear has happened so it does not stick as often.
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Good story - thanks for sharing this. Reminds me of the saying "if all else fails, read the manual."

I have noticed that a stray strap or rope (like the top of a tent bag) can hook and open the latch easily. I usually caution my passengers about it. When I have baggage in the back I try to keep straps and ropes away.