XM interruption?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

XM interruption?

Post by Rich »

I don't have XM weather, but this is food for thought.

On Sunday night we were driving back from a show in Bend in nice flat desert and the local stations were all religious music. So we switched to Sirius XM to maybe try to get the NFL Sunday Night game (We'd been catching the Seahawks game on the way down). Silence. OK, let's listen to some Met opera. Also silence. XM remained unavailable for the entire trip - all channels - over an hour, as we kept trying. So instead we just listened to Sibelius from my iPhone.

I thought this might be one of those deals I've heard of where one had to resynch the receiver or something. But the next morning as I headed out XM was working fine with no action on my part. I wondered how common these outages are. We use XM intermittently in the car and hadn't had one of these before.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Re: XM interruption?

Post by Pascal »

For what it’s worth I listen to Sirius XM all the time in my car and it is extremely reliable even in adverse weather everywhere I go. Except in tunnels :D
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Pascal wrote:For what it’s worth I listen to Sirius XM all the time in my car and it is extremely reliable even in adverse weather everywhere I go. Except in tunnels :D
I have had a Sirius XM subscription in multiple cars for >10 years. Very rarely, I get a momentary signal drop out, usually in the same locations. I have assumed that it was just due to geometry (blocking structure or phase interference). The past few months, these have been more frequent, and not linked to any particular location. But never for more than a few seconds.

Steve
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

In my experience XM Aviation Weather is sometimes sketchy in this part of the world, but when I had XM in my car it never missed. I have often wondered if others experienced the same thing?
Sandy
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sanford
Aircraft Registration: N159PS
Airports: KPDK

Post by Sandy »

I have observed “loss” of XM on a number of occasions. Upon looking into the issue I found that in some cases the volume, on the XM page, had been set to mute, while in other cases I had a cable (that I use with an iPod) plugged into the Aux jack. In either case there’s no XM volume.