Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

hkavasch
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Hans
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: D-GDON
Airports: EDMQ

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by hkavasch »

if Diamond does not help... would it be possible to do a STC for the G1000Nxi... paid by the group in this blog..
Do we have an avionic expert with the right background that could estimate the development, certification and Garmin cost?

I think we need such an upgrade in 5-10 years to keep the birds flying.. so no rush..
Hans Kavasch
Flying Club MDG (http://www.edmq.de), Germany
DA40TDI 2.0s CD155, G1000, D4.325, D-EDKY
DA42 2.0 CD135, 42.049, D-GDON
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

I am sure that Cessna invited Garmin to modify its G1000 system for Cessna singles and to modify it as improvements came on line, just as Diamond does with the Austro-powered fleet. Garmin provides the technical expertise and the airframe manufacturer (Cessna, Diamond, Textron, Boeing, Airbus, etc) provides the drawings and data and, most importantly, its consent and cooperation. We are asking Garmin to do something they usually do not do, which is to certify a piece of Garmin equipment for use on a certified aircraft without the consent and cooperation of the airframe manufacturer. They are not legally required to obtain consent, but there are probably good reasons why they don't normally do this. Continental is a large company and probably has more influence with Garmin than a couple of hundred aircraft owners. Whether Continental would consider it worthwhile to assist DA42 tdi owners to encourage them to re-engine their planes with CD rather than Austro engines by helping us upgrade our Garmin panels is the question. Since Continental is not the airframe manufacturer all they could contribute is financial support and whatever commercial leverage they might have with Garmin, although it is not obvious to me what leverage this might be. But I think the question is worth asking to John Weber. I have spoken to him too on some technical issues and he is a nice guy and, as you say, tries to be helpful to customers.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

With a national holiday today here in the U.S., I decided to hold off on calling John Weber. Yet when we do speak, I will raise your question with him, Nick.

By way of review: when I first started this online petition project my initial impression was that this is largely a concern for the DA42 TDI owners.

Though in fairly short order my awareness and thinking evolved, if nothing else by just watching the sheer numbers of Lycoming powered DA40's sign up over the past three months (as well as the Austro equipped DA42's that have joined this effort). And just as soon as this thread was moved from the DA42 forum to Hangar Talk area, the numbers really started to takeoff (pardon the pun).

Therefore, my intention is for this petition list to remain active until all Diamond models, with legacy G1000 systems, have been issued a service bulletin for a final upgrade to GDU version 15.xx.

As such, it is so very important the owner's group remain a united front because collectively we deeply care about the well-being of the entire fleet. It's also hoped, regardless of the engine type, the aggregate numbers (of aircraft) is what will finally convince DAI and Garmin to take this petition drive seriously. So once again an olive branch is being extended to DAI, with the sincere request they will soon open a dialogue with us regarding this complex issue - as this would be viewed as an incredibly positive first step in the process.

Here's the link to add your aircraft: G1000 petition

Thanks!
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

Hi Scott. I signed up N483TS early on in the process. I certainly hope DAI decides to cooperate.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Here's the link to add your aircraft: G1000 petition wrote:
My apologies Nick for not being more clear, as I know you signed up your DA42 quite some time ago. It wasn't directed at you.

This one line is intended for all of those owners who have yet to sign up. My goal is to frequently keep the link at the bottom of the most recent post or at least somewhere on the current page (of this thread). And therefore easy to locate for any and all newcomers.

Finally, I very much appreciate your sentiments of hope for some cooperation out of HQ.
Vasco
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alessandro
Aircraft Registration: 9HIKY
Airports: LIPU

Post by Vasco »

Signed.
To update the 370.22 old software. And for a reasonably priced WAAS update.
Ciao.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Today these two owners signed the petition:

Bob Burdette (N868E) with his DA40, plus Alessandro (G-PAPE) added his DA42.

Welcome gentlemen!

Total aircraft thus far = 134

Others wishing to join the cause, please click HERE
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Vasco wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:59 pm ... And for a reasonably priced WAAS update.
This'll be tricky. What's reasonable for one is outrageous for others. Witness the judgement of some that the $1,500.00 original charge by Garmin for the WAAS upgrade to each GNS unit back when it was first offered was presumably not reasonable enough. The current $4,500.00 charge is even less attractive, naturally.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Vasco
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alessandro
Aircraft Registration: 9HIKY
Airports: LIPU

Post by Vasco »

I will not tell Garmin or DAI what I believe is reasonable. I will not make such mistake. :)
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

Seems very much in Diamond's best interest to help with these issues. After all, if a 12 year old design will not be supported then why would someone risk purchasing a new plane today with the likelihood (history) of it not being well supported in the not so distant future.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman