Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by TwinStarScott »

BRS wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:23 am Seems very much in Diamond's best interest to help with these issues.
Today Steve Cohen joined the cause by signing up his DA40 (N446SB). Thanks to him and fellow Washingtonian pilot (Brock) for posting his comments above.

For anyone wishing to become the 136th aircraft to enlist, please click HERE
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

I got info that Diamond would very soon announce proposals for upgrade paths. Let’s hope this will be aligned with our expectations.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

ememic99 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 pm I got info that Diamond would very soon announce proposals for upgrade paths. Let’s hope this will be aligned with our expectations.
Yeah, hopefully they will announce an upgrade path that doesn't include the installation of NXi, right?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by ememic99 »

I hope it will be at reasonable price whatever it includes.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thank you for the update Emir! And good timing on your part too.

As a reliable source I spoke to today dovetails your tantalizing news, but mine doesn't go quite as far. Here's an update from this side of the Atlantic:

this petition has actually landed on the desk of the Scott McFadzean (CEO of Canadian operations). Who I'm told is now at the corporate offices in Austria. While apparently this was the first time Mr. McFadzean has been made aware of this issue, it's a subject that he will be discussing during the course of his overseas business trip.

Certainly it's premature to be putting any champagne bottles on ice, yet it's beginning to feel like this petition drive might actually be making a difference and that DAI is finally taking our G1000 concerns seriously. So thanks to each and every owner who has taken the time to lend their support to this effort!

Even with all of this encouraging news, let's NOT take anything for granted and keep the list ever expanding until we've reached our goal. So please have your friends sign up their aircraft by clicking HERE

PS - Rick, ideally wouldn't owners ideally want to have both options? Starting with Service Bulletins for all Diamonds to GDU version 15.xx
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

ScottSutton wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:00 amPS - Rick, ideally wouldn't owners ideally want to have both options? Starting with Service Bulletins for all Diamonds to GDU version 15.xx
Sorry, I didn't mean to discount the value of an NXi upgrade - I assume that will (eventually) be one of the possible upgrade paths for the existing G1000 DA4x's. I sure hope so! But I wouldn't want that to be the ONLY upgrade path for those who don't want to spend 10's of thousands of dollars. I'm cautiously optimistic, and hoping that the new DAI leadership will be more willing to listen to their customer base.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Well said Rick! Thanks for clarifying.
Vasco
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alessandro
Aircraft Registration: 9HIKY
Airports: LIPU

Post by Vasco »

Years ago I had the Garmin weather radar WX68 installed into my DA42 TDI KAP140. The old Garmin software 370.22 was (is) not capable to overlay the radar echoes onto the navigation map (vice versa, this feature is included in the more recent software releases for the NG only).
I asked DAI to issue a new software release to allow TDI owners to take benefit of the same safety features available for the NG owners. DAI replied that they were not interested in supporting such request.
I hope that now, being a group instead of singles, DAI would take into consideration the requests of those who had the unhappy idea to purchase the first generation serie of DAI product. Quite fed up of being considered son of a lesser god...
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by ememic99 »

Vasco wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:38 pm Years ago I had the Garmin weather radar WX68 installed into my DA42 TDI KAP140. The old Garmin software 370.22 was (is) not capable to overlay the radar echoes onto the navigation map (vice versa, this feature is included in the more recent software releases for the NG only).
IIRC you posted the problem on this forum asking for solution.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

The reality is that the G1000 is a 15yr old computer, irrespective of when it was installed. There are limits on what you can expect from a 15yr old computer. I suspect nobody is reading this on a 15yr old device.

We all accept needing engine overhauls after 2,000 to 2,400 hrs, 10-15yrs. My sense is that we should be reserving for avionics replacement the same way we reserve for engine overhaul.