Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by BRS »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:28 am We all accept needing engine overhauls after 2,000 to 2,400 hrs, 10-15yrs. My sense is that we should be reserving for avionics replacement the same way we reserve for engine overhaul.
Yes - but...
If you have an old cessna with 40 year old steam gauges they are still current and probably still working. If not easy enough to replace. Same with the center stack. Thing is we are dealing with a new paradigm and just now realizing it. My father in law purchased a desktop computer some years ago and had it delivered and installed. He asked the installer 'how long will this last?". The response was "a life time but it'll be obsolete in 6 months". I don't like it, but these glass panels have a rather large price for all the smart things they can do. That is, they obsolete rather quickly compared to what us older pilots are used to.

I can't help wonder how long it will be before the NXi is something that is not well supported because technology has moved on and it (NXi) becomes "like, so yesterday". Interesting though, I have a first generation iPad mini and Apple seems to keep upgrading the software. Why can't this sort of model work with the avionics. Oh, I forgot, the iPad is not certified or TSO or anything like that.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:28 am The reality is that the G1000 is a 15yr old computer, irrespective of when it was installed. There are limits on what you can expect from a 15yr old computer.
That's true, but all most of us are asking for is the latest release of the software which can be run on our obsolete hardware - same as is available for Cirrus and Cessna customers.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Keith M wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:23 am
Boatguy wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:28 am The reality is that the G1000 is a 15yr old computer, irrespective of when it was installed. There are limits on what you can expect from a 15yr old computer.
That's true, but all most of us are asking for is the latest release of the software which can be run on our obsolete hardware - same as is available for Cirrus and Cessna customers.
FYI, Cessna owners have the same issue: If you have a legacy G1000 172/182/206, the newest software available is outdated and is not the latest GDU 15.XX that can run on legacy G1000s.

The issue with outdated G1000 software applies to multiple aircraft manufacturers (not just Diamond), and is really a consequence of the high cost of FAA testing and certification associated with flight decks that are integrated into the airframe. Each new G1000 software release must be flight tested and approved separately for each airframe variant. It's not like a Garmin GTN750 navcom where Garmin can simply publish an approved model list (AML) for installation across dozens of aircraft types. With an estimated 15,000 or so G1000s out in the field, this issue only applies to a small fraction of the more than 200,000 FAA-registered (not to mention other country) aircraft -- with an average GA aircraft age approaching 50 years -- and hence hasn't become visible to the regulators or lobbying groups like AOPA or EAA.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

BRS wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:50 am I can't help wonder how long it will be before the NXi is something that is not well supported because technology has moved on and it (NXi) becomes "like, so yesterday". Interesting though, I have a first generation iPad mini and Apple seems to keep upgrading the software. Why can't this sort of model work with the avionics. Oh, I forgot, the iPad is not certified or TSO or anything like that.
If it's truly a first-generation mini, you don't get IOS upgrades any more. These are frozen in version 9.x. Second generation on they do update. And I have a 10 year-old Mac that can not be updated to the latest Mac OS.

In general, this aspect of the discussion is correct. Those of us with the non-integrated panels can mostly upgrade/modify stuff without the OEM's involvement at all. WAAS upgrade, for example, was totally between Garmin, my shop and myself. The same with the ADS-B transponder swap: Bendix/King, the shop and myself.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

CFIDave wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:07 pmFYI, Cessna owners have the same issue: If you have a legacy G1000 172/182/206, the newest software available is outdated and is not the latest GDU 15.XX that can run on legacy G1000s.
I didn't know that, thanks. However, I bet they have all been updated since 2006, which is the latest release for DA40TDIs. It's the bad faith of Diamond in supporting their customers which really rankles.
Vasco
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alessandro
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: 9HIKY
Airports: LIPU

Post by Vasco »

DA42 NG has the same old obsolete hardware. But new software...
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

CFIDave wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:07 pm
Keith M wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:23 am
FYI, Cessna owners have the same issue: If you have a legacy G1000 172/182/206, the newest software available is outdated and is not the latest GDU 15.XX that can run on legacy G1000s.

The issue with outdated G1000 software applies to multiple aircraft manufacturers (not just Diamond), and is really a consequence of the high cost of FAA testing and certification associated with flight decks that are integrated into the airframe. Each new G1000 software release must be flight tested and approved separately for each airframe variant. It's not like a Garmin GTN750 navcom where Garmin can simply publish an approved model list (AML) for installation across dozens of aircraft types. With an estimated 15,000 or so G1000s out in the field, this issue only applies to a small fraction of the more than 200,000 FAA-registered (not to mention other country) aircraft -- with an average GA aircraft age approaching 50 years -- and hence hasn't become visible to the regulators or lobbying groups like AOPA or EAA.
Good attemp in defending Diamond but the situation here is bit different. Who is the owner of IP rigths? Diamond. So we’re not talking about Garmin’s task to test dozens of types including DA40/42 with CD engines, because Garmin can’t do that. We’re asking Diamond to provide decent support for their customer base by ensuring these upgrades are prepared and test done. Let’s see what Diamond will propose.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

I very much appreciate reading the various perspectives of so many owners who has chosen to speak up - by posting on this lively and important topic. As this is a subject that greatly impacts all of us.

Early in this thread, a number of you were debating the approximate costs associated for DAI to clear all the technical and regulatory hurdles for updating GDU software. And while these rough cost estimates (or guesstimates) varied widely - one thing I believe we can ALL agree on is there are substantial hidden and incalculable costs to DAI by letting this long standing problem continue to fester. As the lost opportunities for DAI are not only in the form of lost sales (past, present and future) but also by creating the opposite of goodwill among their customer base.

Granted, everyone knows all corporations have the tendency to understandably be heavily focused on their next quarterly financial report. Which can lead to decisions being made that are harmful to their long term profitability, even survivability. Generically speaking here.

The completely unanswerable question in this particular GA circumstance is: how much would DAI's market share increase by - should they ever decide to adopt the practice Cirrus aircraft did long ago? Where all Cirrus models of their legacy G1000 aircraft have been kept current, with GDU software that is completely up to date (according to Garmin Tech. Support*).

Since starting this thread and the G1000 petition in November of last year, we can today at least feel fairly confident our combined efforts have received the attention of upper management at DAI. The question posed above is one only the manufacturer can ultimately answer. So as the DAN forum continues to await good news - we ask DAI to contemplate the numerous long term benefits to them by fully supporting their existing legacy G1000 fleet.

For those who are brand new to this discussion, please consider adding your DA40 or DA42 to this petition drive by clicking HERE Thanks!

* plus (as far as I know), software updates are done at no charge to the aircraft owner by any certified Garmin avionics dealer. Although, according to one avionics shop, upgrading to GDU versions several levels higher, requires incremental upgrades. And is therefore a more complicated and time-consuming process, say in the case of going from GDU version 9.05 to 15.xx

According to the link below, in 2017:

Cirrus sold 337 aircraft, while Diamond sold 137 aircraft.

https://gama.aero/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 082018.pdf
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

This morning Aaron signed up his Diamond Star (N333PU), bringing the list to 136 aircraft. Welcome to him.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I completely agree that Diamond should unambiguously state a s/w upgrade policy, both for legacy G1000 and NXi owners. An unambiguous software upgrade policy, whatever it is, will clear the air and set everyone's expectations.

The Diamond Airmail I received today is teasing a single unified web site which sounds like they are slowly coming around to a unified message for US and European customers which is a good sign.

There is no question that the best source of new individual Diamond customers is the installed base of Diamond owners.