Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by NickBudd »

I believe one of the items on the latest Diamond technical notice to owners was an announcement by Garmin that the G1000 would not be affected by this issue.
40flyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N418AM
Airports: 6D6

Post by 40flyer »

Tim H wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:22 pm I'm not certain if someone is tracking specific software improvements being requested, but something to add to the list is the following:

Non-WAAS, G1000 with a GDL-69A running software version .22.

Lightning is now included in the Sirius XM Aviator LT but it will not display on the DA40 G1000 because of a software issue in the GDL 69A. It is a limitation of the DA40 G1000 software that limits the software of the GDL69A.

Perhaps someone who has a WAAS G1000 can post if they have similar limitations.

Tim
Tim,
I have a 2005 non-WAAS airplane and a GDL-69A also, but it turns out there are 2 versions of the 69A and the earlier version cannot provide the additional data from the Aviator LT subscription. That’s according to Garmin.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

40flyer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:09 pmit turns out there are 2 versions of the 69A and the earlier version cannot provide the additional data from the Aviator LT subscription.
When the original version of the GDL69A came out more than 10 years ago, XM Satellite Radio that also provided the GDL69A's aviation weather service in North America was a competitor to Sirius for satellite music services.

But then the 2 companies merged to create Sirius XM Satellite.

After that happened, the combined company decided to start a new aviation weather service (Pilot) using different spectrum on a Sirius satellite, while leaving the pre-existing XM Weather service (Aviator) in place.

Garmin had to respond to this with a newer version of the GDL69A that could receive the Sirius instead of XM weather; it's called the "GDL69A SXM" to distinguish it from the original "GDL69A." Confusing, isn't it? My 2008 DA40 and 2013 DA42-VI had the original "GDL69A" that used the original XM satellite and Aviator service, whereas my 2017 DA62 has the "GDL69A SXM" box using a Sirius satellite with Pilot service.

Whether one or both of these services will continue to be around in the future -- with so many US pilots now using free ADS-B weather instead -- remains to be seen. But since I still can't get ADS-B IN weather on my DA62 with only a GTX335R transponder (the GTX345R still isn't certified for DA62 NXi!), I'm stuck continuing to pay for SXM weather service.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thanks to CFIDave for sharing the evolution of XM Wx and also for clarifying the very confusing GDL-69A situation. 

Having attended three Wx seminars recently, a “SiriusXM Aviation” glossy brochure was handed out at one of them - which lists these six advantages over ADS-B weather:

1) No Line of Sight Restrictions
2) Base Reflectivity Radar 
3) Twice-as-Fast Lightning 
4) Twice-as-Fast Composite Radar
5) Always Available METARs & TAF's
6) No altitude Restrictions

A seventh, unlisted advantage is that XM Wx provides closer to real-time Cloud Top information, whereas with ADS-B it's strictly a forecast. 

Here's a link that contains more detailed information than the brochure mentioned above, plus a video:
https://siriusxmcommunications.com/sxma ... mpare.html

Whether or not this is worth the price of the monthly subscription can be a difficult decision while sitting comfortably on the ground. However, I can say from experience that numbers 3 & 4 can save the day if you ever find yourself in an area of fast developing convective activity. On one memorable flight hauling plasma for a local blood bank, the thunderstorm activity arrived much earlier than had been forecast and then later learned a tornado had touched down directly in our proposed flight path, before diverting none to soon. The “lightning” quick speed at which this storm developed is an event that has left a lasting impression on me. 

Will also add that here in the mountainous areas of the Western US, there still exists today significant gaps in ADS-B coverage, as witnessed when comparing ADS-B returns to those being painted by XM (#1). And I'm sure they are many others besides myself that compare and contrast the two products while in-flight - as this might fall under the umbrella of Colin's theory – of having “a backup for the backup”.
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Dave-

Great info and thanks for the clarification. Do you know if the GDL69A SXM is a drop in replacement for the GDL69A in a 2005 DA40, non-WAAS, G1000?

Thanks,

Tim
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Tim H wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:13 pm Dave-

Great info and thanks for the clarification. Do you know if the GDL69A SXM is a drop in replacement for the GDL69A in a 2005 DA40, non-WAAS, G1000?

Thanks,

Tim
I don't know for sure, I think it's a drop-in replacement -- but I don't know anyone who has replaced one with the other. The rest of the G1000 software and modules probably don't "see" any differences in functionality between GDL69A vs. GDL69A SXM.

The only potential downside is that your 2005 G1000 software might not be able to display any newer "SXM" info not included in the original XM service. However in my experience there's very little difference in the original XM vs. newer SXM aviation weather services.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

This question peaked my curiosity and so I called Isaac at Aeronautics. And he confirmed the GDL-69A SXM is a slide-in replacement for the original GDL-69A. Isaac also echoed CFIDave's caution about the possible GDU software limitation – should anyone be considering such an exchange.

Also, he speculated that tomorrow Garmin will announce a less bulky replacement for the portable 796, that has now been discontinued. And the replacement could even be an Android tablet like device, in the 8” to 9” size, and able to run more than just an aviation app.

If this pans out, this will make for an interesting decision for those of us with older iPad Mini's. Which is, whether or not to upgrade to the newest and recently released mini-iPad or possibly a new aviation grade portable device in the same size range.

Again, this new portable unit is pure speculation, and even one of the largest Garmin dealers has zero inside information.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

New LPV boxes just announced by Garmin:

"We are excited to introduce our GPS 175 and GNX 375 GPS navigators with Localizer Performance with Vertical guidance (LPV) approach capability."

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviat ... in+Blog%29

Perhaps this is another good sign there is still hope for us legacy G1000 / non-WAAS owners. . . .
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Good sign as in how would this play out?

The hardware (mostly a vehicle for s/w) is screaming past the certification gate keepers. The whole system is asking for disintegration and modular replacement as needed. Nothing wrong with legacy G1000 comm or GFC700. Add New GDUs and GIAs and you have NXi.

Ok, I’m horribly naive about the regs, but technically why can’t Garmin have a plug’n play panel where owners update the s/w and avionics guys update the hw?

Now someone will say “FAA”?
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Boatguy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:35 am Now someone will say “FAA”?
It’s not only FAA (or EASA) and certification specific to airframe. It’s about intellectual properties ownership which is not Garmin’s but airframe manufacturer’s - in our case DAI’s.