Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by chili4way »

I asked if they would address G1000 legacy during the webinar today and got this not-helpful reply. Noted that the STC for the retrofit glass panels specifically excludes G1000 Diamonds.

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 10.06.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 10.06.11 AM.png (20.04 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Russ, I'm hoping the new lower cost Garmin LPV boxes just announced today might eventually reduce the price for upgrading to WAAS for the legacy G1000 planes. As the GPS175 retails for less than $5,000 and even includes lateral and vertical guidance for visual approaches. Just a few years back, the upgrade price to WAAS for a legacy G1000 system was 5 times that amount and now it's not even available at any price. Clearly something needs to happen for the better with this currently untenable situation.

In related Garmin news, the OEM manager* is having a high level meeting this week at the London, Ontario factory. With representatives from Austria also in attendance.

Yet Zach generously took time to respond to a few questions I ran by him soon after the webinar ended this morning.

Zach: Yes, we’re very excited about the announcements. The DA40F, DA40, DA20-A1, DA20-C1 are all on the G3X Touch AML STC and planned for the GPS 175/GNX 375 AML STC.

Me: Would imagine you were on a commercial flight when this webinar took place, but likely you will get a chance to watch it at some point soon. Am wondering if the new antenna diversity transponders will be offered in a remote version?

Zach: Yes, they will.

Me: If yes, perhaps then they will eventually be STC'd for Diamonds.

Zach: The GTX 3X5 AML STC is expected in a couple month, so we should be able to confirm then.

Me: If the new boxes would also address the remote 345R reception issues, all the better.

Zach: One point of clarification is that the “Diversity” antenna option simply refers to the transponder’s own (TX/RX) antennas to combat antenna shading on larger aircraft or scenarios where better transponder reception is desired/required. With that said, along the lines of what I alluded to on the phone a few weeks ago, the GTX 345DR has an optional remote Bluetooth Antenna Kit for better reception in certain aircraft installations where the airframe and/or distance from the transponder may impact Bluetooth reception.

* According to him, a lot has been taking place between the scenes and for quite some time now, he just can't share much until the news is officially released by DAI.
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

I've never heard of a 345DR. I'm assuming from context on the above that this is some variant of the 345R with a more flexible transponder antenna setup. But the Bluetooth kit sounds like it would be a great way of avoiding the DIY hack suggested in another thread here.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Yes, you are 100% correct Ilya. Looking at your airport identifiers, the pending antenna diversity requirement by Nav Canada shouldn't be much of a consideration for you - given where you are based.

Yet for those of us who have already installed the 345R (legacy systems only) and are having bluetooth reception problems in the cockpit, the hope is Garmin will release a low cost hardware fix / upgrade of some kind - and soon.

PS - Antenna diversity is really just a fancy term for top and bottom xpnder antennas. If you have time, here's the full scoop - courtesy of AOPA's technical editor Mike Collins:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... -diversity

Going back to some really good points Russ raised yesterday about the FAA and steps towards "plug’n play panels" - today's news from Garmin about the G3X touch display now available for certified aircraft is an encouraging step in the right direction by our friends at this agency. And if Garmin can miraculously pull off a similar lobbying effort for both the legacy and NXi G1000 systems - how great would that be!?
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

As alluded to in an earlier post, this is a decisive week for the soon to be revealed plans for the legacy equipped G1000's. As Garmin's OEM manager to DAI is currently meeting with officials at the London, Ontario factory, with members from headquarters in Austria also in attendance. It seems our fate is literally at stake at this very minute (so to speak!). 

How much of a role the G1000 petition played in this topic being added to the agenda at these high level meetings is anyone's guess, if any. However, I'd like to think it helped to at least garner greater attention at the DAI round table discussion. 

Without question, the DAN forum (and the associated google document) has definitively allowed the following to take place:

1) created an ongoing conversation with AOPA's technical editor Mike Collins, with the offer of an upcoming article on the legacy G1000 equipped aircraft (not just DAI's). Whom I will be speaking with again later today, if not, on Monday. Plus the information Mike distills in writing his article is being shared with the AOPA regulatory department 

2) has allowed for direct contact with Garmin's OEM manager of the DAI account. I have found Zach to be a great resource for all of us and my expectation is for this to continue for the foreseeable future. 

With this in mind, here is a document Zach produced recently, following one of our conversations. It is for the DA42. Yet I also requested the same information to be compiled for the DA40, but haven't received a definitive answer as of this posting. This is completely understandable, as he will be traveling extensively for many months to come. 

DA42 G1000 GDU Features (per Garmin / PDF file):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2WuK ... lkdEpFNnNj

However, before signing off, I'd like to extend a big thank you to everyone who took part in this effort, as every owner played a vital role in our success to date. With that said, so many of you deserve special mention for going above and beyond the call of duty - often behind the scenes by offering your help and support and/or for your dedicated recruitment help:

• our stellar forum moderator Chris - especially for all of his technical assistance in getting this project off to a good start

• Dave (CFIDave) for all of his excellent postings, G1000 and otherwise. Hopefully this will lead to him being interviewed for the upcoming Mike Collins article 

• Emir (ememic99) for being our eyes and ears in Europe, plus for signing up the entire DA42 CD-155 fleet - which was no small feat 

• Colin, for signing up two large flight schools in the LA basin, as his dedication and persistence eventually paid off

• David (dselder1962) for his terrific “Meeting with Diamond” posting from the Avalon Air Show

• the following NXi owners (who have a genuine concern for all of us legacy owners):

° Russ (Boatguy) for sharing his strategic insights as it related to this project. Russ will also soon be based out of my old home airport with his brand new DA40! So congratulations to him 

° Captain John (jb642DA) for his friendship, plus for his DA42 technical advice and last, but not least, for putting me in touch with a terrific Diamond focused flight school located in "Big Sky" country

• Max Trescott, author of the G1000 book, for referring me to the AOPA regional fly-in coordinator, that led to making contact with Mike Collins

• also, for everyone who took the time to post a comment on this very thread. As I appreciated hearing from each and every owner - even if I didn't entirely agree with your perspective, your participation was very much valued

• and finally to all of the fleet operators that signed up their aircraft

I'm sure I'm forgetting any number of you, so my sincere apologies for failing to have mentioned your name in the above list. Yet individual shout-outs aside, this has been and remains a total team effort and one that all participating owners should take a good measure of pride in.

There will certainly be more to come, so please stay tuned. . . . .
Last edited by TwinStarScott on Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

And also Scott Sutton for his dogged persistence....

Tim
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

TimS wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:14 pm And also Scott Sutton for his dogged persistence...
If anything good comes out of our petition and all related activities that we've been doing in the background :) all these months, Soctt will definitely be the most deserving person for the success.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Save your back slapping until the results are in. Then, if good and favorable, have at it. In the mean time lets wait and see what happens.
CBeak
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N614DS
Airports: KSGU

Post by CBeak »

Thanks, all. I’m new to Diamond with my 2005 Legacy G1000 purchase. I’ll be following and doing what I can. Love the airplane, and thought I had done my homework. I’m one of those guys who doesn’t have endless money and sacrifices other things to fly. It’s a little odd to find out you’ve bought a technologically advanced, yet technologically obsolete, airplane.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

With Sun 'n Fun well underway and the Aerofriedrichshafen Air Show only five days away, here's an update.

A week ago today I had the distinct pleasure of speaking with Mike Collins again. He continues to impress with just how well he understands the legacy G1000 predicament – and especially from an owners perspective. As Mike has been following the evolution of the system since it was first introduced and the now glaring pitfalls that “no one saw coming” in the early days. Other points to pass along are:

1) currently his legacy G1000 article appears to be on track for publication in the July edition of AOPA. With no arm twisting on my part, Mike really gets the urgency of the legacy OEM situation and it's obvious that he genuinely wants to do what he can to help us all out. It is also abundantly clear that his role as technical editor is much more than a job to him.

2) in terms of other OEM's addressing legacy G1000 concerns, and not counting DAI or Cirrus, one OEM has indicated they're going to step up to the plate, while another has (likely) decided to bench themselves indefinitely.

3) have saved the very best for last in this numbered list. Which is: arrangements are being made and emails have been exchanged between our resident G1000 expert and Mike to meet sometime very soon. Undoubtedly, CFI Dave will be a great resource for Mike in formulating his article! Ironically, both of them reside in the same general area, yet have never met each other in person.

Finally, with regards to Tommy's recent posting, it simply seemed like it was high time to thank those who have helped us get this issue to a point of imminent and significant media attention. And while it's certainly true, this thread and petition has yet to reach any of its stated goals - it is equally true that if we should come up short it will not have been for lack of effort and teamwork (that has spanned the globe).

So with sincere appreciation to the DAN forum and AOPA's Mike Collins, this Spring and Summer will have provided DAI (and the other OEM's) a golden opportunity to garner tremendous goodwill with both their existing and prospective customer base. What each one decides to do at this junction, will most likely have far reaching consequences for all (parties).

Also discussed: Mike remains heavily involved with the pending NavCanada antenna diversity requirement. As this program unfortunately appears to be moving forward full steam ahead, as it remains tentatively scheduled to be rolled out in three phases. Phase II is slated to hit in 2022 and impacts flights at and above 12,500 feet. Then starting in 2023, Phase III is of concern to piston aircraft because meeting the antenna diversity mandate will be required for entering terminal airspace, at a minimum. So what's an owner to do who has yet to install a GTX-345R and routinely flies into Canadian airspace - wait for the release of the 345DR or keep the fast approaching appointment with the avionics shop?