Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by Boatguy »

ememic99 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:59 pm
visual approach
I’m sorry but I don’t understand the importance of this feature. Can you explain it a bit further?
As I understand it, essentially an RNAV approach for any airport / runway.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

but there are a number of features that are part of the G1000 NXi that have not been implemented by Diamond in either Phase 1 or Phase 2, including Visual Approaches and Surface Watch, both available on Textron aircraft for over two years.
Yikes Russ! And of course the DA62 owners are still waiting for the 345R retrofit, which I believe is approaching the two year mark (delay). Even the lowly TDI's have had the 345R coming up on three years.

Emir, if you are referring to the visual approach feature. This provides LNAV / VNAV guiduance and can go a long ways in preventing "black hole" accidents.

There are any number of youtube videos that highlight this feature, here are just two of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMDPvF4O8Fo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XzNtXO8lwc&t=231s

PS - Russ and I responded at just about the same time, ha!
Last edited by TwinStarScott on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

TwinStarScott wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:30 pm if there was one really important software feature the NXi and other Garmin Systems have* and the legacy systems do not, it would just have to be the visual approach feature
The latest software for G1000 NXi "Phase II" hardware (i.e., GIA64Ws, new audio panel, GEA71B) -- recently shipping in new DA40NGs and DA42-VI aircraft -- is missing the Visual Approaches feature. No Diamonds (including NXi Phase I or NXi Phase II) currently include Visual Approaches.

With older hardware like GIA63Ws no longer being produced, I'm guessing that Diamond/Garmin were forced to quickly certify software capable of running on the new NXi Phase II hardware, thus causing them to initially limit some Phase II software features. Perhaps Visual Approaches will show up in future Diamond NXi software releases.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Wow, that is most unfortunate Dave.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:21 pm Perhaps Visual Approaches will show up in future Diamond NXi software releases.
Probably in few years but then the hardware will be too weak to run bunch of new software features and the only solution will be to buy new aircraft.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

To quickly summarize the recent discussion - clearly the tide has shifted dramatically this year in avionics* (ranked by features, then price) and an even more noticeable leapfrogging of sorts has occurred:

Early 2000's
1) experimental aircraft (features and price)
2) G1000 aircraft (Diamond - features only)
3) production aircraft (lagged behind in features)

Spring 2019
1) experimental aircraft (features and price)
2) production aircraft (features and price)
3) G1000 aircraft (Diamond - now lagging behind in both)

*thanks in large part to recent innovations / approvals by Garmin, that have yet to trickle down to legacy aircraft. And to a fair extent, even the NXi equipped aircraft are lagging behind (visual approaches, surface watch, DA62 - GTX-345R / ADSB-IN, etc.)
The Cirrus version (Perspective +) of NXi additionally adds Electronic Stability Protection, Level button, yaw damper (optional) and dual AHRS.
40flyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N418AM
Airports: 6D6

Post by 40flyer »

I’ve been continuing to follow this thread in hope that those of us with non-WAAS G1000 models would see a near-term low-cost solution to get WAAS capability. Has Garmin ever been asked why they won’t remanufacture GIA63W computers? If we have a 345R Xponder, that could conceivably be the WAAS GPS source and it already interfaces to the G1000.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Hi Don,

There should be a fair number of 63W's going into reserve inventory, if and when, all of the Phase I NXi aircraft are upgraded to the 64W's. From a non-WAAS owner's perspective, is this the best and most cost effective long term solution for the legacy G1000's? Probably not.

Does anyone wish to make an estimate of how many 63W units this might be?

As for Garmin being able to remanufacture them, my guess is parts for them are no longer available. And probably much like what is about to happen with the GNS 430 / 530 boxes*, with entire legacy G1000 systems not all that many years behind suffering the same fate.

* which most will remember Garmin offering buyback programs for upgrading to the GTN series, greatly extending the useful life of the GNS 430 / 530 boxes. But this just delays the inevitable and the legacy G1000's have never enjoyed this advantage.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Not the least bit surprising, the KingAir NXi flight decks already have the visual approach feature.

Below is a link to a Garmin produced video and a related discussion starts at 3:24. Here are a few quotes from a pilot that flies a KingAir, equipped with the NXi - "the visual approaches are such a wonderful safety feature" and "to be able to couple up to a 3 degree glide slope". . .(this is truly a) "big deal!"

https://youtu.be/XngoEec9DRc
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Ok I agree it’s nice to have feature but far from being essential like ability to get spare parts which will definitely happen when legacy G1000 systems start to fail. Or even more trivially when there will be not enough memory space to store all plates because of rising number of RNAV approaches and departures.