Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by TwinStarScott »

Today K2 Aviation, from the great state of Colorado, added eleven of their DA40's to the list – so a huge thanks to this large flight school! To date, this is the largest one day contribution by a single entity.

And with this pleasant surprise, the count now stands at 73 total aircraft.

Finally, a goal that seems within striking distance at this point is to reach, or even exceed, the 100 aircraft mark by the end of the year. To help us surpass the century mark, please add your aircraft by clicking HERE Thank you!
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Would it help for those of us without the G1000 to also sign the petition to indicate our support or would that dilute the effort? I really do feel you folks are being deprived of capabilities unnecessarily.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

That's a very good question Rich! In a nutshell - YES (pending further input).

The only reason NOT to do so would be if there are any technical reasons why non-G1000 Diamonds couldn't be upgraded. Say the LRU racks couldn't be added, as one possibility that comes to mind. Certainly it's understood that any glass panel retrofit would be an expensive process.

So this might be as good a time as any to seek some input on this point, as I'm learning towards why not open up the enrollment to owners that fall into this category?

Also, we already have one “other” owner on the list that is waiting for this issue to be resolved before making the switch over to a Diamond. And since it's a lot easier to capture this information now, than go back, we can simply enter “N/A” in the G1000 columns for steam gauge equipped aircraft.

Ironically, I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who owns a DA40 that has an Avidyne GPS in his panel. It seems having the option for a NXi would only increase the re-sale value of his aircraft and other current steam gauge Diamonds, even though this owner really likes the FMS features Avidyne offers that Garmin doesn't. For more on this, check out Gary Reeves's website (https://pilotsafety.org/), as he is one of the leading advocates for Avidnye. On that note, I've heard Gary speak in person numerous times, plus countless online webinars. So for those who are unfamiliar with his work, you're almost guaranteed to learn to something that will help you become an even better pilot!

As of this evening, we reached the 75th milestone!!! Welcome to Stuart Barkely (OO-STU) and also to my friend Greg Bell (N243DS) – who flies out of a neighboring airport. Please click HERE to add your aircraft.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

OK, I added my support. I actually have no desire to "upgrade" to G1000. Mucho expensive and adds weight. (I am kind of protective of having bragging rights for the highest load carrying capacity on the wiki page :) ) I'm good with my 530W/430W steam gauge setup.

I know Greg well. He used to fly my plane when it was based at KPAE. Until I selfishly moved to Oregon in 2015 and stole away with it. 8)
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Very good Rich - small world! Certainly I understand your point of view - yet you never know what existing, or future, steam gauge owner(s) may eventually decide to do over time - given the choice. And the more avionics options owners have, the better (IMHO), as this can only help with resale value.

Without question, your 430W / 530W remains a pretty awesome combination!

The list is now at 76, SO let's see if we can top 80 aircraft by Friday. To help with this effort, please click HERE
vontresc
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N569DS
Airports: KMSN

Post by vontresc »

Put us down as well.

Capitol City Flyers
Da 40 (40.648) N569DS
non WAAS/K(r)AP-140
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Well, today the list received one of the more interesting participants:

This being two DA42's, from no less than the State Border Guard Security of Ukraine! Many thanks to this organization, with their approximately 40,000 employees.

This latest international addition to the petition really highlights the global reach of this effort! To further illustrate this - here is a breakdown by country:

Belgium - 1
Canada - 2
Germany - 5
Latvia - 1
Sweden -1
Ukraine - 2
United States - 67

Last, but certainly not least, a warm welcome to Peter of Capitol City Flyers for adding his DA-40 (N569DS) to the list.

Now at 79 aircraft, please click HERE to be Diamond owner number 80 and beyond. . . . .
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thanks to Randy Coakes (N41ES) for helping the list reach 80 total aircraft today!
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Post by dselder1962 »

Scott
Well done for organising this. With another view, have you thought of broadening the reach to for example -VI with NXi owners to record our wish for the broader issue of Diamond updating all of its software. There are many things the NXi can do, but Diamond hasn't got round to the certification requirements yet. It is all very nice getting a regular email from Diamond now to hear about how great things are, but this sort of thing would be true customer service. Just a simple example, electronic checklists available on the MFD.
I totally understand if you don't want to broaden it out if you think it will dilute your own message.
Cheers
David
David
Based in Moorabbin, Australia. 8-)
Past Cirrus 20
Past Cirrus 22T
Present Diamond 42-VI
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Hi David,

Thank you for your words of encouragement, it's truly a labor of love.

Actually, you've hit on an important point! As in hindsight, my opening post (that first started this whole thread) was too narrow in focus*. Yes, I do agree with you that the message should now be broadened out to include any Diamond aircraft owner, such as yourself, who is concerned about the lack of software support for their ship - then they should most definitely SIGN THE PETITION. When the cover letter is sent to DAI and Garmin, it will ask that the Legacy G1000 owners be given the option to upgrade to the NXi, since it's clear replacement parts have started to become an issue for the original systems.

So join us if you would please David, since even with your NXi, you so clearly fall into this category of owner who wants the software to be kept current. We can always massage the data later, should this ever become necessary.

♦ ♦ ♦ NEWS FLASH ♦ ♦ ♦

Thanks to the persistent efforts of Colin (N972RD), he was able to reel in 11 more aircraft this afternoon!!! My appreciation also to Angel City Flyers, who added a whopping 4 DA40's and 7 DA42's.

As a result of this very encouraging development, the goal of reaching the century mark by New Year's Day is within striking distance - as the list now stands at 91! Please add your ♦ by clicking HERE.

* being relatively new to Diamonds, I was initially operating on the premise it was mainly a DA42 TDI problem and mostly just the this crowd needed to band together. Boy, was I ever wrong - as the problem is much more pervasive than I first imagined (we now have 63 DA40's on the list)!