Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by TwinStarScott »

Just to clarify the G1000 petition is still open for business, only now with an additional special request for the owners who have already joined.

Which is to quickly check that your autopilot and WAAS or Non-WAAS (YES / NO) equipment information has been entered. These two important columns have now been moved closer to the Owner's Name and Registration Number, plus a “Date Edited” column has been added. Please include this as well when verifying your equipment - thank you!

The reason for this request is this subject came up during a conversation with Zach, Garmin's OEM manager to DAI - as this information can be useful to both companies in making present and future decisions and can be cross-referenced with their internal data. Our spreadsheet will therefore help them to make better inventory determinations by having owners verify these two data fields – as this is the first example of how this petition be used for the ongoing benefit of all and in a spirit of cooperation with Garmin and DAI.

Last, but certainly not least, a warm welcome to James Foerster (N730DS) for signing up his DA40 recently. The list now stands at 142. To add your aircraft or verify your existing equipment please click HERE to ADD, VERIFY or UPDATE
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thanks to Tosh (N854AK) for being the first owner to verify his aircraft's equipment and for letting me know the spreadsheet reverted to "view only". Hopefully this has now been corrected as I have no idea how this setting got changed.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

This is good news Scott as Dave is thoroughly versed in the issues and understands them from both the dealer and owner perspectives.

The DA40NG which I picked up at the factory just five weeks ago has also become "legacy". The MSB and updated AFM A02 supplement for the G1000 NXi Phase II s/w only applies to DA40's with the new Garmin hardware (GIA64W, GMA1360, and GEA71B). The AFM update was actually issued three weeks before I picked up my plane so it went from "new" to "legacy" while sitting at the factory. Diamond failed to mention when I picked up the plane that I was receiving obsolete Garmin hardware.

The point being that Mike Collins needs to understand that this issue is not just about 10-15yr old airplanes. If he can get some attention onto this problem by the manufacturers, both airframe and avionics, and the regulatory organizations, I think we will all end up happier owners in a healthier industry. Other industries deal with this issue on a regular basis and there are solutions which don't require too much invention. That said, I suspect that his article will be the beginning of a very long process.

I just signed up so I think the spreadsheet is working fine.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:17 am The DA40NG which I picked up at the factory just five weeks ago has also become "legacy". The MSB and updated AFM A02 supplement for the G1000 NXi Phase II s/w only applies to DA40's with the new Garmin hardware (GIA64W, GMA1360, and GEA71B). The AFM update was actually issued three weeks before I picked up my plane so it went from "new" to "legacy" while sitting at the factory. Diamond failed to mention when I picked up the plane that I was receiving obsolete Garmin hardware.

The point being that Mike Collins needs to understand that this issue is not just about 10-15yr old airplanes. If he can get some attention onto this problem by the manufacturers, both airframe and avionics, and the regulatory organizations, I think we will all end up happier owners in a healthier industry. Other industries deal with this issue on a regular basis and there are solutions which don't require too much invention.
Thanks for your input which confirmed what has been pointed out few times in this thread. This is something that we’ve been stressing out since the beginning of our petition. Without appropriate manufacturer’s support and upgrade program, any aircraft will become legacy in very short timeframe.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

The DA40NG which I picked up at the factory just five weeks ago has also become "legacy". The MSB and updated AFM A02 supplement for the G1000 NXi Phase II s/w only applies to DA40's with the new Garmin hardware (GIA64W, GMA1360, and GEA71B). The AFM update was actually issued three weeks before I picked up my plane so it went from "new" to "legacy" while sitting at the factory. Diamond failed to mention when I picked up the plane that I was receiving obsolete Garmin hardware.
Holy cow Russ! As this is absolutely jaw dropping news that will take awhile to fully sink in.

Since you've returned home, has DAI offered to do anything for you as a brand new aircraft owner? Such as free hardware upgrades at your nearest Garmin dealer . . . .
mardav99
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Martin
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N272DS
Airports: KCDW

Post by mardav99 »

Thanks for kicking off this initiative! I've signed up using the spreadsheet.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Welcome to the owners who have added their aircraft thus far this weekend, they are:

DA40 Owners: Martin (N272DS), Mike (N614DS) & Russ (N294RA)

DA42 Owner: Tim (C-FIMO)

Plus a big thank you to all the owners / pilots who have already verified their auto-pilot and whether your aircraft is WAAS or Non-WAAS equipped (LRU box GIA63W or GIA63). Please remember to include your date of verification in the "DATE EDITED" column.

We're already up to a 10% verification rate - way to go guys! So let's keep this effort going and get this number up as high as possible.

To add your aircraft or verify your avionics equipment, please click HERE

The list now stands at 146, as we close in on another major milestone.
Flyboyamin
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Amin
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: SEMKR
Airports: ESGP

Post by Flyboyamin »

Hi Scott,
I listed my aircraft as well SE-MKR DA42ng
thanks for all the efforts
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Welcome Amin! I really appreciate you (and others) for who alert me to the entry of your aircraft to “the list” by making a quick post. Also, I couldn't help but notice your Swedish registration number, so do you happen to know Emir by chance? As you and he are the only two DA42 owners representing Sweden (on the petition). Well, actually you and he are the only two Diamond owners of any kind from Sweden.

In other news, we're now up to an equipment verification rate of 18%! While reaching 100% will be next to impossible, the higher the percentage rate the better.

Also, just yesterday, this thread topped 20,000 views - with 327 posts and 147 total aircraft - so far. It sure would be great if the petition could hit the 150th aircraft mark before too much longer, as we are so very close to reaching this milestone.

And for those owners who have yet to do so, please take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to check your avionics equipment by clicking HERE (by simply double checking your A/P & WAAS boxes entries – then quickly entering the date of verification)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

ScottSutton wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:46 am Also, I couldn't help but notice your Swedish registration number, so do you happen to know Emir by chance? As you and he are the only two DA42 owners representing Sweden (on the petition). Well, actually you and he are the only two Diamond owners of any kind from Sweden.
My only relation with Sweden is that I bought my DA42 at Diamond's Swedish representative :) and kept the aircraft in Swedish registry because it's easier and cheaper than in Croatia (which is hard to believe having in mind that Sweden is at least 4 times richer than Croatia - GDP per capita USD 53.4k compared to 13.3).

However, I'm aware of lot of Diamond aircraft across Europe and I'll try to onboard them to our petition through EuroGA forum https://www.euroga.org/ when I'm active member.