Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by TimS »

NickBudd wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:17 pm Very interesting and informed discussion among G1000, non-waas Mooney owners. It seems we are not alone.

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/26554-g10 ... ent=434685
This is what prompted me post the following thread here (I am tspear on Mooney Space):
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6439

I was looking at Diamonds, Mooney's (briefly) and Cirrus when I ran into the G1000 issue.

Tim
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Great link Nick - thanks! And yes, good to read about these same issues on a different forum and that we (DA owners) are not alone. . .

The entire Mooney thread deserves a careful read. Here are a few random quotes that caught my attention:

"just goes to show that avionics that is so closely certified to the airframe certification is not a good model for future evolution."

"My money is on a G1000 NXI upgrade option. Will probably increase the cost of entry and requires Textron/Mooney to participate."

"This is one reason I don't like glass. However, it is not the glass that is the problem the problem is how it was implemented by being integrated into the type certificate. These panels should be treated like any other TSO instrument in the panel. The FAA needs to come out and give a blanket approval to replace these glass panel avionics inside the aircraft with TSO type avionics and move oven all in the name of safety and nex gen."

PS - Also Nick, have shared your Mooney link with Mike Collins at AOPA - as he continues to research his legacy G1000 article.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Here's one more:

"Ten years from now it will be the NXi components going obsolete. I was fortunate to get mine upgraded a year and a half ago. But even with the upgrade I fear that in a couple of years I won't be able to get spares. I swapped out both PFD and MFD over the last two years due to failing buttons, joysticks, etc and got exchange refurbs quickly and reasonably. I just can't see how they can avoid a certificate of the whole airframe with G-1000/NXi integration due to costs of doing it with several separate systems."
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Webber is no longer with Continental. I wish that meant Diamond had hired him, but I suspect not.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Colin,

This is terrible news for those of us with TDI engines.

While very disappointing, his departure is not all that surprising. As I was speaking with him about six weeks back and just after he had returned home from Fairhope, AL. At that time, he was singing the blues after meeting his new boss that had moved over from the Marine Division at Continental. According to John, this person had little understanding of aviation and even why their existing fleet of TDI engines even needed much tech. support at all. It seems their focus has recently shifted almost entirely to new sales - at least here in the States.

He asked me to keep this to myself, but now that he's left it seems safe at this point to share with others.

It will likely be painful to find out we will now be dealing strictly with Germany for tech. support and working around the large time difference - plus via email only (ugh). A more remote possibility is Continental might find a domestic replacement. Clearly someone has some very big shoes to fill as John Weber was such a great resource for pilots. He will be missed.

PS - Today I tried calling his cell phone and it has been disconnected. Also, a brief email has gone unanswered for several hours - which is very unlike him.
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

On the positive side for a change, I have had a couple of contacts with the technical support people in Germany and found them responsive and congenial. I was looking for a replacement starter motor and they told me that they normally only ship to service centers but if I was not near one (I wasn't) they would ship direct to my shop (they did).
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Just announced this evening: New Garmin Aviation Products Webinar
Tue, Mar 26, 2019 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM PDT

To register:
https://register.gotowebinar.com/regist ... MCJT-21383

It will be interesting to see if any of these relate directly to the G1000. Probably not, but we'll find out soon enough.

Nick: agreed the technical support personnel in Germany is "responsive and congenial". However, regarding parts for TDI engines, Technify / Continental needs to carry a complete inventory in Fairhope, AL - especially the really heavy items. Assuming they're truly committed to expanding market share in the US. As most new customers would likely balk at bearing the cost of international shipping charges* and the associated delays. Plus their cumbersome AR system needs to be revised as I can't imagine many flight schools would find this piece of software to be very user friendly when ordering time critical parts.

* both for receiving and then returning the worn out part.
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

So true.
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

Wondering if this date 'rollover' is going to affect my 2006 G1000. Seems like an update the first week of next month would be timely.
https://www.orolia.com/resources/blog/l ... -need-know

Is there a thread on this already?
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman