Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by Keith M »

Having paid €310k for a brand new DA40 TDI, I'm not amongst them either!
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

Me either, the economics (and weight penalty and stall speed increase) are just too daunting. But you can see their point; they have a big investment in the Austro. There must be a solution with so many G1000 a/c owners, not just Diamonds, in the same situation. Keith, does your new TDI come with WAAS?
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

NickBudd wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:34 am Me either, the economics (and weight penalty and stall speed increase) are just too daunting. But you can see their point; they have a big investment in the Austro. There must be a solution with so many G1000 a/c owners, not just Diamonds, in the same situation. Keith, does your new TDI come with WAAS?
I highly doubt the number of engine sales materially moves the needles. Diamond already converted a very large portion of the TDI fleet; and new plane sales is a much larger percentage of the engine business.
The most likely causes were the historical bad blood between Diamond and Thielert combined with a lack of financial viability of making the STCs for TDI.

I former business partner always said. Never awesome nefarious reasons when simple stupidity and money explain it.

Tim
Keith M
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Airports: EGNH

Post by Keith M »

NickBudd wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:34 amKeith, does your new TDI come with WAAS?
It was new when I bought it in 2006, so no WAAS. No G1000 software updates since then either.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I am, currently, considering moving to a DA62 from my DA42. The new Diamond Aircraft Industry's attitude about the software will have a GREAT deal of influence on my decision. Even currently DA62 owners seem stuck without some features. As a guy who spends (probably too much) time staring at screens and thinking about code (hi, Pietro!), I believe I understand the issues. But we need leadership here. Sooner rather than later.

The current Chinese owners of the company should understand the value of having an upgradable fleet full of happy owners. Spiraling downward costs and owners pissed off at a company are not something you can use for the foundation of a successful aviation venture, even if looking ahead you see 98% of the planes being sold in China.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

The most likely causes were the historical bad blood between Diamond and Thielert combined with a lack of financial viability of making the STCs for TDI.
But we need leadership here. Sooner rather than later. The current Chinese owners of the company should understand the value of having an upgradable fleet full of happy owners.
With the awesome combination of the GNX375 (or GTN650), GFC500 A/P, G5* and the G3X Touch display packages certified now in so many production aircraft, doesn’t this type of panel make for a realistic and cost effective pathway for the vast majority of legacy G1000 aircraft? Even if it requires Diamond, or others, to relinquish the TC back to Garmin or other interested third party.

As the price of glass dropped significantly in April, with features far surpassing our antiquated hardware & software, it seems only logical an upgrade path to the NXi has recently become even less attractive to the vast majority of legacy G1000 owners. And doubly so for those KAP140 A/P aircraft owners.

Which leads to the question, will any of the OEMs be bold and innovative enough to seize upon this golden PR opportunity?

* as a backup AI
NickBudd
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N483TS
Airports: LFPN LFMD

Post by NickBudd »

I am also thinking vaguely about the lovely DA62 and held back by the same skepticism re Diamond’s support for future avionics upgrade/retrofit opportunities. This is a huge value trap for owners of modern GA aircraft and goodwill trap for OEMs who fail to address the issue. Even loyal Mooney owners are pissed off if you follow their forum. It would make a big PR splash, as Scott has said, if Diamond changes course and announces an industry-leading avionics support policy and at least fair treatment of Diamond aircraft with Centurion engines. The new owners stated that their ambition is to make Diamond the leader in GA, but the drag of hundreds of unhappy owners and skepticism of potential new owners will not just disappear unless the course is changed.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Ironic timing with this Garmin brochure that arrived in today's mail. Featuring the following products:
  • G3X Touch Flight Displays
  • GPS175
  • GNX375
  • G5
  • GFC500 A/P
As a copy landed in every pilot's mailbox here in the Air Park. So it's probably a pretty safe bet most followers of this thread have received one too by now:
Attachments
GrummanTiger_Garmin_Glass_Ad.jpg
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I don't have a "legacy" G1000, or at least I hope not for awhile, and I don't fully understand the various variations of avionics configurations dating back to the original G1000 pre-WAAS configurations.

I think the general request is "keep our software current and give us a hardware upgrade path as hardware evolves". But beyond that, is it possible to articulate 3-4 specific requests that would satisfy the majority of owners on the petition?
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

If Diamond would just produce a software update that included the latest G1000 base software version, I think that would fix most of the problems. Of course, there are different versions required for each airframe/engine combination, so it's not just "one thing" they need to release, but it's still possible to do.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)