Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

Post by Rich »

I digress, but I must chuckle at one of the pieces of that NXi testimonial about being able to couple to a LPV approach. I've been doing it for 12 years. It's like he just discovered sliced bread.

But back on point, what's really happened as a general problem is that by installing these integrated electronics into the aircraft, we now see exactly the long-range maintenance issues that exist in the consumer electronics world. I have a not-terribly old iPad mini that can not be upgraded to newer iOS versions (beyond 9.x) and I had to replace it with a newer one. But that was a few hundred dollars and software-move was easily accomplished by me in less than an hour. Not tens of thousands of dollars and Zarathustra-knows how many weeks of downtime - if it can be done at all - to replace a G1000 with ???.

Though they are currently supported, looming somewhere in the future even my lowly GNSx30W units will need to be replaced. But it may not be until I'm done flying, as the installed base of the units is extremely large. And were I to have a hardware failure, I could probably find a replacement fairly easily.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

As many of you may have noticed, the July edition of AOPA did not include an article about the legacy G1000 situation. Given the significant amount of time and effort that went into this potential article, I'm very disappointed to report this news. There will be some follow-up with Mike Collins within two weeks time, and soon after he returns to the office early next month.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

This is my recent short correspondence with Garmin on FB which is obviously communication channel they have because all others have it. The person behind it usually doesn’t have any answer to any question and instead just posts the link to some (usually non-useful) link on Garmin web site, like people are stupid and can’t find this page by themselves.
08AF31F3-E26D-4612-867E-38C8EAEB8ABB.jpeg
B6C82D0C-D986-446C-A19B-A4A8E91B06DE.jpeg
F92DBFE8-4237-46A3-A708-FBF246467BA0.jpeg
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

Tommy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 am It is what it is gentlemen. At some point in this discussion you must accept the reality of the situation and move on. Diamond is not going to change. You have plenty of Diamond’s behavioral history to support this. The wall is not going to move the more you bang your head against it. You’re just going to get more bloodied.
It’s really to bad. Diamond really does have a phenomenal product. There lower tier people are great. London is top shelf. It’s all in the upper tier and that’s not going to change.
How long are you guys going to beat your heads against a granite wall? A brick wall would be easier and less bloody.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Unfortunately, it’s not easy to accept the reality if it’s different than the promises one got. Personally, I tend to trust people until proven opposite.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

This kind of issue would seem to be more in the bailiwick of Aviation Consumer than AOPA. It's not in the nature of AOPA to criticize any manufacturers, as it puts GA itself in a negative light.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

I also tend to trust people more often than I should and I still do. I’ve just been down this road way to many times. It never changes. It is what it is. I accept it and move on.
startingovercfi
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jeff
Airports: 39N

Post by startingovercfi »

TwinStarScott wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:30 pm
Our main problem is WAAS and the second big issue is KAP140.
Back to the question posed by Russ from yesterday - one item that has come to my attention since the formation of the G1000 petition. And that is: if there was one really important software feature the NXi and other Garmin Systems have* and the legacy systems do not, it would just have to be the visual approach feature. Why?

Because this feature, along with LPV approaches, will continue to save countless lives. If you've ever known even just one pilot that died due to a “black hole” accident or botched non-precision approach - it stresses the need for a timely solution for all legacy G1000 aircraft. In the two cases I'm thinking about, six souls would be alive today had this technology been available back in the early 1990's. A handful of other tragic accidents come to mind just off the top of my head. So this is clearly a deadly serious topic and for TAA not to be able to keep reasonably in stride with current advances in technology, it's simply just not right.

So my suggestion is for:
Diamond and Garmin to figure out how to make this feature available and affordable for all legacy aircraft. An idea I hear floated frequently is for the WAAS box in the GTX-345R's to be TSO'd and really why not? The other remaining question is: can the legacy software be upgraded to allow for this feature to be added. On the surface, it sure seems possible. If not, provide an affordable hardware solution that is.

One question that perhaps an NXi owner can weigh in here – is it possible to load a visual approach to airports / runways that do not even have a standard instrument approach?

Regardless, the bottom line from my perspective is: MAKE IT AVAILABLE, MAKE IT AFFORDABLE. And without access to crucial features such as this one, should legacy G1000 Diamonds still be considered fully TAA at this point?

* to name just one other one – the G3X touch displays driven by either the GTN 650/750 / GNX375 or GPS175.
I fly frequently in aircraft with visual approaches on the Txi and Never use it, and don’t know anyone who does. This is a very low priority IMO, and will be rarely used. Just don’t know a lot of people flying straight in approaches to airports at night without glide path indicators, and when we do, we just fly a pattern to avoid the problem.

Having LPV approaches is gonna be much more helpful after a WAAS upgrade.
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

TwinStarScott wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:59 am As many of you may have noticed, the July edition of AOPA did not include an article about the legacy G1000 situation. Given the significant amount of time and effort that went into this potential article, I'm very disappointed to report this news. There will be some follow-up with Mike Collins within two weeks time, and soon after he returns to the office early next month.
I would not be surprised if it is pushed to September. I was talking to a couple of AOPA staffers on something unrelated to G1000 and the articles they were working for the summer have been pushed to the fall. Further, traditionally the July and August have a lot of coverage related to Airventure this leads me to believe if it did not make June, it would be pushed to the fall.

Tim
Pascal
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pascal
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: CGSMT
Airports: CYJN

Post by Pascal »

Dear all,

This thread is very interesting. I learned a lot by Reading this thread and other avionics threads on the pilotsofamerica forums.

I am currently looking at avilution.com. An open and upgradable system. Not certified and won’t be for the near future. Does not lock you to a single hardware vendor.